Jazz, George Hill taking contract talks down to wire

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Utah Jazz Newsfeed, Feb 28, 2017.

1. The Jazz Wonderbra

The Jazz Wonderbra Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Folks... ya'lls are freaking out unnecessarily.

Look, if you were George Hill would you take $13.5 million/yr plus a $14 million extension now? Or $20 million per year x 4 years. That's $80 million vs. $68 million. I don't think it's that hard of a decision for Hill. He has played well enough this season to justify a big salary in a league that over pays at every turn.

He wants to be here now. He likes playing for us. He hasn't been considered 'The Man' in Indiana or in San Antone. The grass is not often greener, but the pay raise IS greener if he waits. If I were George Hill and I REALLY wanted to stay in Utah, I would wait and get a bit more to do it. The Jazz save some $$$ now and pay later.

2. Siro

Siro Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    I bet we still keep Hill. Who the **** would pay him 25m+ a year. If that happens, get a cheaper vet PG.

3. Bawse Dawg

Bawse Dawg Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    He's not just 'what we have' he has taken our team to the next level. Look at our record with and without him. He fits our team like a glove, and plays great D with extremely efficient play.

You're about to be shocked what he makes on the open market, contracts are not what they used to be. If we don't plan to pay him then I hope we have a good backup plan, because Exum is not close to ready. If this is the first domino in Hayward leaving, even worse.

4. MT Steve

MT Steve Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 15, 2014
    George Hill's style of play is one that historically ages very well. Paying him would also help us in keeping Hayward. We wouldn't be luring anybody better to Utah with that cap space.

But yeah, keep focusing on the dollar amount and not on the fact that by not resigning him we'd likely lose Hayward and wouldn't have any players worth a damn to throw that savings at.

5. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Maybe SAS. They have LA and Kahwi on cheap contracts with no young players they need to pay.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

6. ♪alt13

♪alt13 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    13 on top of the 8 he's already making. If he doesn't extend that 13 million is gone. Where did you get the idea that the Jazz were offering 14 per after this season? I haven't read that anywhere.

7. Stifle Tower

Stifle Tower Punch Bowl Re-Filler

Jun 3, 2010
    Dante's great D is a myth. He turns his body and overplays one side and relies on Gobert to cover his *** on the other. Watch the Washington game. He was beaten like a drum. In his last rotation, Gobert was coming up, then the pass would go behind Rudy.

We lose Hill and I think we lose Hayward.

Penny wise, pound foolish. If Hill walks and Hayward leaves, it will be on Lindsey. And I'll be done with his GM foolishness. Remember, it will also represent another lottery pick that he wasted.

8. Gameface

Gameface I actually REALLY like Gobert! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    How do people know that keeping Hill has any effect whatsoever on keeping Hayward? That's something fans invented and said enough times it seems like some sort of actual thing when no one has the slightest clue if Hayward gives half a **** about Hill's contract situation.

9. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Because losing our 2nd leading scorer might have him feeling a kind of way?

10. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    Having a good PG, one that you have had some success with, is an attractive piece.

11. Stifle Tower

Stifle Tower Punch Bowl Re-Filler

Jun 3, 2010
    We don't Bulletproof. But we do know the two are very good friends. We also know Hayward wants to win. So I think Hill leaving would HAVE to cause Gordon to doubt. The Jazz would certainly take a step backwards. It's not like Exum is going to become a fringe all-star. He's barely a fringe 2nd-stringer.

12. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Maybe because having a starting PG >> not having a starting PG in the mind of Hayward? Of course that might not be correct, but it's relatively safe assumption, methinks.

13. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    I tend to agree

14. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    Even that might be too much.

15. checkbookdoc

checkbookdoc Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    This is exactly what I thought. I think this deal gets done because the incentives for all three parties are in line by overpaying Hill.

The Jazz can benefit from paying Hill more than he would get on the market because they have about $4M that they will have to pay in order to reach the salary floor. This means that they can overpay Hill by that amount and it is "free". Next, assuming Hill's market value is below 3 years at $88M, by including $13M of the market value in this year's salary they can structure a deal which underpays in subsequent years. This will create a future asset and provides flexibility (because they can trade it away if needed). Additionally, a deal would provide value as a signal to Gordon.

Second, Hill's new agent is incentivized to get this deal done because if he turns down an offer that is better than what Hill can get later on the open market his reputation will be damaged.

Finally, Hill will be happy with an over payment because he makes more money!

So you see, all parties gain from an over payment, and equally important, everyone is a looser from not getting the deal done.

16. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjlHUPXq-Dc

If we lose Hill then I 100% want to draft Mitchell with our 1st pick, would even trade up with the Warriors pick to do so if it was necessary.

17. White Chocolate

White Chocolate Respect All, Fear None Contributor

Jul 25, 2010
    Jazz are 25-9 when Hill plays and 22-6 when Hill and Hayward both play.

Hill is averaging 17.7 PPG, 4 APG, 3.4 RPG and is shooting 41.3% from three on 5.1 attempts per game. Not to mention he is one of the best defenders at his position in the league.

He's playing arguably his best basketball as a pro as well. Just in case you guys forgot.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

18. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    We should have given him whatever the max was we could offer... the fourth year is the problem for me... not the amount per year. I'd rather give him 25 per year on a three year deal than 20 per on a four year deal... much harder to move.

DL go back to the table... and give him teh munney damnit.

19. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014
    You cannot R&E for additional 4 years. The max is 4 years(current contract+future years). It would have been this year + additional 3 years. That's the max we can offer him.

20. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    It isn't just the raw numbers either. He can play without the ball and can play both guard positions.

remove some of the uncertainty from an offseason and have one focus in free agency... what kind of offer does DL think he will get... I think he gets a minimum of 20 per... if we have 25-27 I don't see that as much difference... certainly not enough to risk losing the guy.