What's new

Jazz trade Devin Harris to Atlanta for Marvin Williams (merged)

Landry Fields just signed a 3 year 20 million dollar deal. Please tell me again why Marvin is not morth 7 million again? Anyone..anyone?

You're forgetting Carrol and Evans, who could both get some time next year in certain situations. I like this team a lot, too, though I don't share a lot of people's interest in showing Al the door. I think he made big strides last year and I anticipate more of the same this year. Plus, he obviously likes Utah.

FWIW, I'd also have Sap starting until Favors grows past potential and gets a few more moves around the basket. This should be his year, though, and it should be Hayward's year to bust out on a consistent basis.

I didn't forget them, I just don't expect them to see the floor much next year.

SF: Williams, Hayward, spot minutes for Burks/Millsap
PF: Favors, Millsap, spot minutes for Williams/Jefferson

I just don't see a whole lot of available minutes for those two at the 3/4 positions...every now and then & in garbage time, sure, but I was mainly just trying to elaborate on our top 8 or 9 guys.

I wonder though if proper coaching and being on a goal oriented team with a ton of structure will tap into his potential. Nobody wants to be labeled a bust. I think we will be very excited about Marvin's future with us this time next year.

...he's a North Carolina boy, right? He was used to playing team ball. He get's drafted by the Hawks....they play pretty much hip hop ball.....his game went into the tank! Our system is much more like that of NC. He should do better with us for sure!

...he's a North Carolina boy, right? He was used to playing team ball. He get's drafted by the Hawks....they play pretty much hip hop ball.....his game went into the tank! Our system is much more like that of NC. He should do better with us for sure!
For once cj makes a valid point while using "hip hop" in a post. I'm out of rep right now, but I'll try to remember to send some your way, just because I never get a chance.

Jazz may find Marvin is a great team player and will thrive in his new home.

Sure seems like the Jazz have a pattern emerging in acquiring players who grew up or went to college in the South. Coincidence? Or is KOC targeting not just good players, but those who have team-first attitudes?

I'm very excited about the acquisition of both Williams. Mo is a much better traditional offense running pg and he can still get points. The reason I'm more excited about having Gordon Alec and Marvin on the wings is more of an improvement by subtraction as much as an improvement by addition. Getting rid of Bell and hopefully Howard and CJ is more promising than anything.

I'm not going to look it up right now (on my phone), but the Hawks have to be one of the worst assisting teams in the league. Surely, that has to be taken into account for Marv's putrid assist numbers.

Landry Fields just signed a 3 year 20 million dollar deal. Please tell me again why Marvin is not morth 7 million again? Anyone..anyone?

Well, Toronto might have been **** blocking on Steve Nash, so that might explain a bit of the overpay. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see Marvin get a similar deal from someone next year if he does well here.

I'm pretty sure the Jazz can use their amnesty on Marv, provided he opted in, wasn't worth half his salary (still), and the Jazz though they could make a real splash with the cap room (which is the only way they should be doing it if they're signing FAs, as oppose to signing garbage longterm or paying the player's union for literally nothing).

And of course, if they don't waste their amnesty on Bell.

I'm pretty sure the Jazz can use their amnesty on Marv, provided he opted in, wasn't worth half his salary (still), and the Jazz though they could make a real splash with the cap room (which is the only way they should be doing it if they're signing FAs, as oppose to signing garbage longterm or paying the player's union for literally nothing).

And of course, if they don't waste their amnesty on Bell.

Can't trade for a guy and amnesty him.

****. Really?

67. What is the Amnesty provision?
Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 63) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime. Players who were waived prior to July 1, 2011 and are still receiving guaranteed salary are also eligible. Teams cannot amnesty players they sign, receive in trade, extend, renegotiate, or otherwise amend after July 1, 2011.

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

67. What is the Amnesty provision?
Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 63) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime. Players who were waived prior to July 1, 2011 and are still receiving guaranteed salary are also eligible. Teams cannot amnesty players they sign, receive in trade, extend, renegotiate, or otherwise amend after July 1, 2011.

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

This is one of the reasons why they should have made the amnesty option a tradable chip. Utah had put itself in a position where it was unlikely to use it, so it would have been nice to be able to trade it.

sucks.

This is one of the reasons why they should have made the amnesty option a tradable chip. Utah had put itself in a position where it was unlikely to use it, so it would have been nice to be able to trade it.

sucks.

Or make some kind of reward for not using it.

sucks.

Or make some kind of reward for not using it.

actually, that's exactly why they specified that in this go-around. last time, teams with no clear amnesty candidates were being approached about "hey can you amnesty our guy for us and we'll give you ____." the whole purpose of the amnesty clause is to allow everybody one "undo" as the new rules set in, and for several reasons, they didn't like that instead it was used for one team to "undo" several moves by negotiating with teams that hadn't made those type of cap mistakes.

but i totally see your point. i see this the way i see the student loan forgiveness debate. i put myself through college by working hard and choosing a school i could afford, and as a result i graduated without $120K in student loan debt, but making less per year than others who went to fancier schools. if someone like that gets their debt erased, where is my $120K reward for living within my means?