What's new

John Lucas III prefers the Jazz & looking like another contract/draft pick trade

Mother ****ing truth right there, bitches. Round house kicks to the faces of all you haters. PLUS we'll make you read every post Thriller has ever posted, twice. Watch yourselves.

Thanks. I'm at a public lunch table and I just laughed so hard everyone looked at me like I'm crazy.

Seriously though agree with everything in that post. People already losing sight of what we are doing ad jumping off burke bandwagon based on summer league?

Burke did not play good in any of the four Summer League games. He is not more than a 15-20 minutes per game backup for this season. Try to bring Neto, too. Play him 10-15 minutes per game. We need a starter that can play 20-25 minutes per game as a starter at the PG position.

Yes, Burke completely failed in the summer League, and player like crap in each game, there is little doubt about that, and I am disappointed about that as much as anyone else. However, as bad as he was in these 4 games, this cannot eclipse his College accomplishments. NCAA is a tough League, and as a Sophomore he was battling against guys a few years older as well, yet far and away he did better than anyone else in the League over the course of entire year. He was able to shoot well, went Bob Cousy award for the best PG, and was recognized consensus as the best player in the nation. As just a sophomore, it is quite an accomplishment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_College_Player_of_the_Year . Take a look at this list. There are few players there who did not go on to be stars, such as Hansbrough or Jimmer, but they were older then everyone else when they won, so that screws up the odds a little bit, since Burke won it as a 20 year old sophomore. Odds are pretty good Burke will be a top notch PG.

Sure, he got into a slump during SL in the first game and could not recover, but overall body of work he demonstrated over last 2 years is still absolutely incredible. I would pick him top overall even now. He needs to start and let him play, let him make mistakes. I am quite sure by mid year we will have at least a solid starting PG on our hands, and I still think he will win ROY or come very close to it before the year is over. Burke needs to start and get minutes this year.

Reactions: mct
Only until the details of the picks came out. I think after people learned the details, 98% of the board were happy.

wasnt the case for a good portion of twitter. People are still complaining how stupid our front office is for letting go of Millsap

wasnt the case for a good portion of twitter. People are still complaining how stupid our front office is for letting go of Millsap

Fortunately people on this board are smarter than the people on twitter. :)

That Dee was a very good college point guard whose team went to the championship games of the NCAAs one year. Does any of that sound familar to our current situation with an unnames point guard.

To put it in comparison on how bad Lucass III, these are the ratings on 2k13:

Jamaal Tinsley 69 overall
Earl Watson 67 overall
Marvin Williams 66 overall
John Lucass III 63 overall
Andris Biedrins 61 overall
Jeremy Evans 56 overall

Derrick Favors is currently our best player with a 75 overall and a potential rating of somewhere in the 90-99 range.

That Dee was a very good college point guard whose team went to the championship games of the NCAAs one year. Does any of that sound familar to our current situation with an unnames point guard.

The PG in question was not just very good, he was far and away the best College player as a sophomore. Look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_College_Player_of_the_Year. It is a little skewed because a few players that won as Juniors and Seniors are older then their competition by a few years, hence you see 23 year old guys like Hansbrough or 22 year olds like Jimmer winning it against younger guys. But still this list is solid as a rock, and Trey won it as a 20 year old Sophomore. Chances are at the very least he will be a solid starter. He may not be a superstar like Durant, but I don't think we are talking about Dee Brown either, based on their College careers.

Not really. Outside of getting the ball and starting his own 1-man fast break, Dee was mostly a 2 in college with Deron orchestrating the Illini offense in the halfcourt. In Brown's one season at point he struggled to convince anyone that he had the requisite PG-skills to be a starter at the next level (which knocked him down from a likely mid-1st-rnd pick in '05 to a 2nd-rnd pick in '06). He had college 3pt range and used his blazing speed to get to the basket but unlike Burke wasn't a pure point who could create for his teammates, control the flow of the game and be an effective screen-roll guard. Maybe Burke's ability won't translate but he's not similar at all to Dee Brown.

I'm not saying that Burke won't be a solid starting PG in 2-3 years, all I'm saying is that he is nowhere near as NBA ready as many of us expected him to be. I'm just saying that it makes more sense to play him as a backup for 15-20 minutes per game. He might start after the All-Star break or the season after.

I just hate the fact that some people go crazy just because you are realistic and that you see some facts. Burke can become a good player and was the best PG along with McCollum in this draft. We could talk about whether the Jazz should have gone big and drafted Olynyk but fact is they chose the best PG in Burke and the discussion is closed. If you think Burke is ready then fine, I just don't think that it makes sense to start him and throw him under the bus.

No use to have this lazy *** chucker in the locker room. You'd not want young PGs to learn from this guy

I'm not saying that Burke won't be a solid starting PG in 2-3 years, all I'm saying is that he is nowhere near as NBA ready as many of us expected him to be. I'm just saying that it makes more sense to play him as a backup for 15-20 minutes per game. He might start after the All-Star break or the season after.

I just hate the fact that some people go crazy just because you are realistic and that you see some facts. Burke can become a good player and was the best PG along with McCollum in this draft. We could talk about whether the Jazz should have gone big and drafted Olynyk but fact is they chose the best PG in Burke and the discussion is closed. If you think Burke is ready then fine, I just don't think that it makes sense to start him and throw him under the bus.

WHY?

If we were trying to win now, then yes, I would agree we shouldn't be starting a PG who isn't ready for it (not that I think Burke isn't). We're not trying to win, we're trying to develop our players. Giving Burke 15 minutes a game like you are suggesting is just as ****ing dumb as it was to give Kanter 15 minutes a game. Players do NOT develop at an optimal rate if they aren't given the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them.

Whether or not Burke is currently a starting caliber PG isn't even close to being relevant when discussing how many minutes he should get in the upcoming season. What is going to be optimal for his development is all that is relevant.

WHY?

If we were trying to win now, then yes, I would agree we shouldn't be starting a PG who isn't ready for it (not that I think Burke isn't). We're not trying to win, we're trying to develop our players. Giving Burke 15 minutes a game like you are suggesting is just as ****ing dumb as it was to give Kanter 15 minutes a game. Players do NOT develop at an optimal rate if they aren't given the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them.

Whether or not Burke is currently a starting caliber PG isn't even close to being relevant when discussing how many minutes he should get in the upcoming season. What is going to be optimal for his development is all that is relevant.

Dude that is brilliant. Let me just add that it does help in the Wiggins race and these kids get screwed up coming in and backing up crappy point guards ala dwill

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know of any other current or retired players who by the age of 30 had/have never shot better than 40% from the field?

Mark Stein Reporting:

Hearing: Free-agent PG John Lucas informed other suitors today that he has committed to Utah. Deal w/Jazz on course to be sealed this week

Mark Stein Reporting:

Hearing: Free-agent PG John Lucas informed other suitors today that he has committed to Utah. Deal w/Jazz on course to be sealed this week

Lucas III
Rush
The Dry-As-Your-Mom's-***** Bandit
Evans
Biendrins

DAT BENCH