What's new

Jonas Waived

This summer's money has dried up with only a few teams still having money to spend. If I were a GM for the Jazz I would look for a money ball play right now. Waive Jonas and his one-year deal to sign a guy who provides the same or better than Jonas for 1+1 or a 2+1 deal. This could save the Jazz from overpaying for a similar skill set next summer when all the teams have money and the FA frenzy happens again.

Possible, but there aren't many left that are out there that aren't already duplicated skill wise on the roster. On a side note, we have so many wing players that deserve playing time. Heh

I kind of hated watching Jerebko play. Easily my least favorite player on the team from last year (besides the final month of having Stockton on the team)

Sounds like he already has a deal in place with Golden State

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked Jonas a lot but after watching Bradley so far in SL it seemed obvious that we have to keep Udoh. Bradley is at least a year away. Wish JJ the best.

League of legends (he owns a team for the game) is played in that area of California. Maybe he wanted to be waived so he's more in the thick of things for his team.

Sent from my XT1575 using JazzFanz mobile app

I liked Jonas a lot but after watching Bradley so far in SL it seemed obvious that we have to keep Udoh. Bradley is at least a year away. Wish JJ the best.
Jonas vs. Udoh is a false dichotomy.

Here’s the thing that chaps my ***:

We aren’t at the tax. Maybe we feel like Jonas was too much money, but he’s a great locker room guy and was a good soldier. We don’t have a real four besides Favors, let alone one that can stretch a bit. If it’s about using his roster spot for Niang, then that’s no beef with Niang. My beef is with the Bradley situation. Last year we waived Bolomboy and this year Jonas — two guys who can have roles and contribute. Instead we occupy a roster spot with Bradley who won’t/can’t get off the floor and who we can’t develop. If we had a redo at 2017 draft I may prefer to have taken Cash Considerations.

I don't mind using the 15th roster spot on a project (like Bradley) as the Jazz have done. If you get down to relying on the 15th roster spot, the team is in trouble anyways.

I don't think it was about the money at all and I don't know why it would even be considered to be about the money cause as you say we aren't in the tax. There will be another signing or carry 14 because having an open roster spot can be extremely valuable, especially around buyout season

Honestly I say waive them both. Bring up Bradley and Gorgeous George.

Gobert/Bradley
Favors/Crowder/Niang
Ingles/Sefolosha/O’Neale
Mitchell/Allen/Burks
Rubio/Exum/Neto

No, its too risky. Plus we aren't in a rebuild mode.

We aren’t at the tax. Maybe we feel like Jonas was too much money, but he’s a great locker room guy and was a good soldier. We don’t have a real four besides Favors, let alone one that can stretch a bit. If it’s about using his roster spot for Niang, then that’s no beef with Niang. My beef is with the Bradley situation. Last year we waived Bolomboy and this year Jonas — two guys who can have roles and contribute. Instead we occupy a roster spot with Bradley who won’t/can’t get off the floor and who we can’t develop. If we had a redo at 2017 draft I may prefer to have taken Cash Considerations.

We were 500k from the tax and Jerebko straight disappeared in the playoffs. The Jazz honestly needed some space to work with for 10 day contracts and Niang has been impressive in the SL. I liked Jonas, but I get the move.

I don't mind using the 15th roster spot on a project (like Bradley) as the Jazz have done. If you get down to relying on the 15th roster spot, the team is in trouble anyways.

I don't think it was about the money at all and I don't know why it would even be considered to be about the money cause as you say we aren't in the tax. There will be another signing or carry 14 because having an open roster spot can be extremely valuable, especially around buyout season
Jonas is a journeyman vet who can come in during injury and be a decent guy. Bradley’s ceiling is a journeyman vet who can come in during injury and be a decent guy. I’d rather keep the one who’s currently at that level.

But I’d revert back to YB or whoever’s belief that flexibility can’t dribble a basketball.

Jonas is a journeyman vet who can come in during injury and be a decent guy. I THINK Bradley’s ceiling is a journeyman vet who can come in during injury and be a decent guy. I’d rather keep the one who’s currently at that level.

But I’d revert back to YB or whoever’s belief that flexibility can’t dribble a basketball.

There fixed it. Bradley can certainly be a backup big or even more. That's the thing about projects like him, it's unknown and as I said a 15th roster spot is fine for players like that. When they hit great, when they don't it's not a large risk. Jonas has no upside, and there was no big role for him on our playoff rosters, even without Thabo out.

It could've come down to keeping Thabo or Jonas. I think we keep Udoh because as everyone agrees, Bradley is not ready.
Udoh and Thabo are elite level defensive players in their roles. Eye test and defensive advanced stats confirm this.

Jonas is replacement level in every sense of the word. Yes, he can shoot, but he isnt a gravitational shooter.

Jazz needed to cut some salary to leave wiggle room in potential trades at the deadline.

Last edited:

Bradley is eons better than Bolomboy.

I don't think Bradley is as far away as everyone else thinks. I hope he spends a good amount of time with the Jazz time this season. Though, I do fear TB's lack of vertical explosiveness may prohibit him from ever being a good NBA player.

Gotta keep Ekpe. We're built around long, athletic defensive big men, and need two on the active roster at all times. He's great insurance when Rudy/Favs miss a few games.

Will be curious to see if the last spot goes to one of our two-way guys, or if DL pulls the trigger on a cheap vet FA who's still available.

I don't think Bradley is as far away as everyone else thinks. I hope he spends a good amount of time with the Jazz time this season. Though, I do fear TB's lack of vertical explosiveness may prohibit him from ever being a good NBA player.

Gotta keep Ekpe. We're built around long, athletic defensive big men, and need two on the active roster at all times. He's great insurance when Rudy/Favs miss a few games.

Will be curious to see if the last spot goes to one of our two-way guys, or if DL pulls the trigger on a cheap vet FA who's still available.
Bradley is out-performing a lot of the 2nd year guys in SL so far.