What's new

Let’s discuss Joe Ingles

After watching the game last night, I would say that Joe is in the prime years of his career -- same for Patty Mills. They are guys who have developed their game through experience. It's pretty obvious to me that Donovan has a long way to go before his game reaches that level of maturity.

Untouchable isn't really true, but I don't see any realistic trade ideas around Joe either. Nobody is trading us a star for Joe, and there's simply no better grease for the wheels player than Joe Ingles.
I mean we traded for Conley. I could see joe being used in a trade for a player of similar ability/talent/caliber.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think Joe is near untouchable in the sense that given his leadership, locker room presence and versatility, and also factoring in his age, it'd be difficult to get like-for-like value back in a trade. Some guys are just more valuable to a certain team or in a certain system than they are elsewhere, and I suspect that's the case with Jingles. Hell, if he had of signed his first contact with a different team with a coach who didn't recognise his talents the way Quin did, there's a good chance he could have been out of the league by now.

So I just want to stress that I am not concerned with his play last season, I am concerned that he’s skipping a surgery so he can play heavy minutes until right before the season starts and will be 32 by that time. He’s brilliant, he’s not invincible. When is he going to rest and recover? That is my concern.
This. I think these tournaments are a really ****** idea. Especially this one which is essentially meaningless other than a cash grab by someone somewhere.

"Yeah I was hurt the year we had a chance at an NBA championship, but hey we got 2nd in the FIBA tournament."

"Oh well that is underst... Wait the what?"

"FIBA. You know the international basketball tournament."

"Oh, the Olympics?"

"No. FIBA."

"Oh. So not the Olympics. Hmm, so you weren't able to contribute in your teams best chance at an NBA championship run because you spent the summer playing in the BFA or something... And got 2nd?"

"Yeah. And it's FIBA."

"Ok, well good for you, I guess?"

Would depend on what he’d bring in a trade, but in every other regards it would be dumb to trade or bench him right now. Let the season roll and see how lineups feel. New roster new sets. I’m one of the first people here maybe the first to point out he was underrated when he first came. He is a very smart player who is a must have for any team. He also will decline with age and overrating is a trap too if you get too emotional about it.

You don't trade Ingles, he isn't that kind of player. His perceived value will never be high enough to really replace what he brings as his game is very multi-faceted and nuanced. He is really a poor-man's ginobili. He will be the player than starts, then moves to a 6th man role, then a solid vet presence off the bench over the next 5 years or so. The kind of player every championship team needs. Our ginobili or Iguodala so to speak.

Joe was frustrated in a series. That typically forces players to work on specific things in the summer and get counter moves OR players shrivel up because they cant figure out what happened well enough to have a counter.

Joe isnt going to shrink from the this. He will rise like Famke Jensen, the Phoenix.
Hopefully it isn't Famke Jensen from Nip Tuck.

I’m pretty sure Tony Jones has stated the Jazz won’t trade Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
Just doesnt make sense for a blanket statement like that. Needs context. Like we won't trade Ingles for Giannis would totally be incorrect thinking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I remember at the beginning of the last season when Joe was absolutely terrific there was even a thread discussing if he could average 18 pts per game or something of that sort. At the end of the season he was clearly tired because we had to rely on him too much, I think that lower minutes or some kind of load management will be great for him.

Last edited:
This. I think these tournaments are a really ****** idea. Especially this one which is essentially meaningless other than a cash grab by someone somewhere.

"Yeah I was hurt the year we had a chance at an NBA championship, but hey we got 2nd in the FIBA tournament."

"Oh well that is underst... Wait the what?"

"FIBA. You know the international basketball tournament."

"Oh, the Olympics?"

"No. FIBA."

"Oh. So not the Olympics. Hmm, so you weren't able to contribute in your teams best chance at an NBA championship run because you spent the summer playing in the BFA or something... And got 2nd?"

"Yeah. And it's FIBA."

"Ok, well good for you, I guess?"

Assuming that playing in a controlled setting gives you a higher probability of getting injured instead of a pickup game.

Wait, I’ve incoming call.

“Hello. ....... hey Boogie, how’s the ACL?”

Assuming that playing in a controlled setting gives you a higher probability of getting injured instead of a pickup game.

Wait, I’ve incoming call.

“Hello. ....... hey Boogie, how’s the ACL?”
I like this. But I also wonder about his finger.

If you listen to what players say about when they start getting ready for camp and the NBA season, most of them seem to be looking for a good 20- to 25-minute stretch of game-like action about now. But I hope that Joe didn’t compromise his best health outcome in order to play these games.

None of us know if he did.