What's new

Longest Thread Ever

And sure, the smarter you are, the better you can do these things. I could debate whether Napoleon was a sociopath or just a shrewd politician and general. . . . . he did what he had to do to win. . . . . he did it with the uttermost in self-discipline, planning, and determined follow-through with his plans.

Nope. To be a clinical case of a psychiatric disorder, I think we have to eliminate obviously functional and rational instances resembling the diagnostic criteria. . . .. or else we'll have to start calling Obama and Reid and Pelosi "sociopaths" for passing Obamacare while cooing

"We've got to pass this so we can see what it is"

while setting up 196 new government bureaucracies with the power to do invasive evaluations of every aspect of individual lives, and empowering them to dictate to folks what the circumstances of their lives, and the length of their lives. . . is going to be.

I'm not one to gossip
But I must dispel the rumor
That art cannot be well portrayed
Through graphic potty humor

We find a kind of solace
In the witty observation
Of the day to day minutia
That defines our mortal station

There are other types of functions
That we could talk about
But everybody does these
(And takes pictures, if they're Trout)

So join with me and celebrate
The yellow and the brown
And give them both a fine salute
Before you flush them down

Jazz, I know it all.

so, given a choice, what would you select as a better life? Dirt is cheap, and ultimately our houses are made of it. . . . so why do you sweep and mop, or wipe or dust or flush?

Bronco writes fair verse, and more than just a stanza. . . . but hmmmmmmm. .. . .. you're not an artist until you can lift your audience out of the muck.

Sociopathy

My topic du jour is psychiatric overdiagnoses.

One Brow says man is a social animal. . . . ultimately denies anything more than chemistry as essential to life. . . . well, let's say "chemistry" in the context of the grander expanses of time, space, energy and matter I suppose. But what I think he has been preaching is a denial that there is anything else that we can't prove or demonstrate objectively to the most hardened believer in "man". That meaning, of course, to exclude "God" or similar extrapolations into the vast unknown realms we have so far just waved our hands at and declared "I believe"s about.

So what is the distinction between man the social animal and the clinical diagnosis of a sociopath?

Some ladies can't stand beautiful black and orange "box elder bugs". . . . maybe because they stink or something. An unconscienced inclination to smash a bug, or set off a bug bomb with enough toxicity to make a neighbor ill. . . . .. probably isn't much different from an unconscienced impulse to write potty poetry?

What say ye?

overall, I would say the indications are pretty wide open and subjective. . . . it is if I say it is. . . . . it is what I say it is. . . . sorts of "observations" all with very wide scales of variability. . . ..

The night sky, it floats by
Like the world is standing still
I feel you, and fear you
All I have is time to kill

The darkness, it haunts us
Like voices from the dead
With no fear you stay here
Crashing thunder overhead

When the sky is falling down, will you still be around?

My topic du jour is psychiatric overdiagnoses.

One Brow says man is a social animal. . . . ultimately denies anything more than chemistry as essential to life. . . . well, let's say "chemistry" in the context of the grander expanses of time, space, energy and matter I suppose. But what I think he has been preaching is a denial that there is anything else that we can't prove or demonstrate objectively to the most hardened believer in "man". That meaning, of course, to exclude "God" or similar extrapolations into the vast unknown realms we have so far just waved our hands at and declared "I believe"s about.

So what is the distinction between man the social animal and the clinical diagnosis of a sociopath?

Yeah he "intellectualize" everything. That's the problem I have with him. I don't think we can always "think through" everything. I do believe our mental capacity is limited in some sense.

Take for example a cat. Can it ever fully understand us? No. It lives in its own world, knows what it knows, (like there is food in the tray), but it doesn't know how that food came to be.

We as human knows about the Universe. But we don't know how it came to be. At least I'm open to the possibility that I don't know everything and that I do lack the mental capacity to think through things...

^^^

It's like if you take "water". He'll describe it as H2O. He'll keep repeating it. He's not wrong. But that's not the whole story. He doesn't talk about how it gives life, how it flows, how it impacts our lives, etc.

I'll admit I'd never win an intellectual debate with him - that's why I've given up trying to debate with him. How can he be wrong, if he keeps shouting that water is H2O, he'll always be right.

There is more to the story than that, but if he is not open to that possibility, he'll never be able to see/experience it.