What's new

Max Harrison Barnes Yo!!!

If we're spending huge sums on one player this offseason, then I'd way rather it was DeRozan than Barnes.

I'd rather have Hayward. But if you tell me Barnes at $15 or Hayward at $30, I go Barnes

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

If we're spending huge sums on one player this offseason, then I'd way rather it was DeRozan than Barnes.

This all day every day. ^^^

Chase a guy that moves the needle. I think DDR does that. Long shot to get him, but I'd roll out the red carpet and try.

The guy has had some bad games, but he still plays D, rebounds and does the little stuff. 3rd or 4th options have bad games. Hayward will too when he's in that role in a meaningful game.

Do you have no other thoughts other than running down the Jazz's best player ? Seriously dude come up with something original.

One thing is for sure, if Hayward was the 3rd or 4th option on a team like Golden State he wouldn't be bricking wiiiiiidddeeee open 3's and looking like a confused fool

Harrison Barnes is a good player with a lot of potential. Max player however? I laughed the first time that I heard he was seeking a contract as a max guy. If you ask me most of the players that are signed to a max deal are unworthy of it. There are maybe 15 Max-worthy players in the league. There is so much truth behind the statement as we are witnessing a watered-down NBA in its finest. Reminds me of 2002-2005 all over again.

Do you have no other thoughts other than running down the Jazz's best player ? Seriously dude come up with something original.

One thing is for sure, if Hayward was the 3rd or 4th option on a team like Golden State he wouldn't be bricking wiiiiiidddeeee open 3's and looking like a confused fool
I have said time and again that Hayward is better without a doubt. I just don't want to lose him for nothing or pay him $30+ per year. If he didn't leave for Charlotte in a split second, I would feel better.

I have said time and again that Hayward is better without a doubt. I just don't want to lose him for nothing or pay him $30+ per year. If he didn't leave for Charlotte in a split second, I would feel better.
He didn't leave for Charlotte in a split second. He negotiated with the Jazz for a year, but they decided to let the market set his price. As such, he met with Cleveland (who didn't offer a max contract) and then signed an offer sheet with Charlotte (who did offer a max contract) and Utah matched. Other than the trade kicker, it worked out pretty much exactly as it should have. Hayward was professional about it. He got the best deal available and let Utah make their choice. He didn't whine about wanting to leave and urge the Jazz not to match (like Paul Millsap and Eric Gordon did). He indicated that he was happy the Jazz matched and he was ready to go. In hindsight, you can easily say that the Jazz missed the boat by not extending him to the full 5 year max when they had a chance to. Two more years of Hayward at his current salary would be awesome.

Blaming Hayward for signing as big of a contract as he could is still a stupid argument. Like Ellis said, blame DL. We could have signed Hayward to a cheaper contract, and a longer contract. They just took a chance and failed pretty badly. I think Hayward knew we would match, but he wanted to maximize his value. Nothing wrong with that.

He didn't leave for Charlotte in a split second. He negotiated with the Jazz for a year, but they decided to let the market set his price. As such, he met with Cleveland (who didn't offer a max contract) and then signed an offer sheet with Charlotte (who did offer a max contract) and Utah matched. Other than the trade kicker, it worked out pretty much exactly as it should have. Hayward was professional about it. He got the best deal available and let Utah make their choice. He didn't whine about wanting to leave and urge the Jazz not to match (like Paul Millsap and Eric Gordon did). He indicated that he was happy the Jazz matched and he was ready to go. In hindsight, you can easily say that the Jazz missed the boat by not extending him to the full 5 year max when they had a chance to. Two more years of Hayward at his current salary would be awesome.

3 more years actually :(
One more from being a 5 year deal and one from not having a player option. It was a pretty big missed opportunity, but was a tough call at the time.

3 more years actually :(
One more from being a 5 year deal and one from not having a player option. It was a pretty big missed opportunity, but was a tough call at the time.

Jazz gambled on other teams not giving a max deal after he struggled a bit. I myself said at the time he wasn't worth max money, but would pay it to keep him on the team. If 30 million is the going rate to keep Hayward. U pay it or we will never compete unless we get very lucky in the draft. I have a feeling players slightly worse then Hayward will command the same or just under. This is where the NBA is going. The cap continues to go up, so contracts will too.

Live with it.

My point was not that he wanted to leave. My point was that he took zero time to go sign a deal elsewhere. In 13 months, he can do that again and we have zero leverage. Hayward is not good enough to have the leverage to hold us hostage. Thats what will happen next summer. He will opt out and we will feel compelled to pay him the longest, biggest contract possible.

Hayward would win me over completely if he opted out and took something slightly less than the max with us with the expectation we keep the team together. He would be our star if he did that. I'm hoping for that.

U pay it or we will never compete

I disagree.
Lose Hayward and have exum, mack, burks, hood, favors, lyles, gobert, #12 pick this year, add free agents, lots of cap space, and multiple first round picks in the next couple of drafts, plus the young coaching staff and young players all improving... I think all of that still competes mighty fine. Maybe I just value the guys on this team not named hayward too much I guess.

My point was not that he wanted to leave. My point was that he took zero time to go sign a deal elsewhere.
The Jazz point-blank told him to go find out his value. What else was he supposed to do?

My point was not that he wanted to leave. My point was that he took zero time to go sign a deal elsewhere. In 13 months, he can do that again and we have zero leverage. Hayward is not good enough to have the leverage to hold us hostage. Thats what will happen next summer. He will opt out and we will feel compelled to pay him the longest, biggest contract possible.

Hayward would win me over completely if he opted out and took something slightly less than the max with us with the expectation we keep the team together. He would be our star if he did that. I'm hoping for that.

Well he is competing against other free agents and there werent many max slots available that year. For instance, if Hayward told Charlotte to wait a week, they might have just met with Lance Stephenson at 13m a year. Now he might have to settle for less.