What's new

Nikola Mirotic

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6985479

Something like this where Hood and Favs go to Indiana... we get Holiday and Mirotic... Bulls get Big Al and Indiana's 1st in 2018. Hood's RFA rights would have value to Indiana... Big Al is partially guaranteed next year. We get a cheap replacement wing and the stretch four we want.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6985479

Something like this where Hood and Favs go to Indiana... we get Holiday and Mirotic... Bulls get Big Al and Indiana's 1st in 2018. Hood's RFA rights would have value to Indiana... Big Al is partially guaranteed next year. We get a cheap replacement wing and the stretch four we want.
Yeah, I guess I could see that making sense, but again, I wouldn't want Holiday, I'd rather take the expiring Pondexter. And I still want to dump Burks on someone.

Dude have you watched Holiday play?

I'd rather have the free roster spot next year w/ Pondexter.

Not a whole lot, but he's playing a lot outside himself with the wings they have and lack of creation. I am a believer in RPM and he always does pretty well there. He's at least an average wing player and he is on a team friendly deal.

Not a whole lot, but he's playing a lot outside himself with the wings they have and lack of creation. I am a believer in RPM and he always does pretty well there. He's at least an average wing player and he is on a team friendly deal.
I guess that is true. Still, it seems like the roster space is more valuable.

I get that Mirotic was a RFA but it didn’t seem like we had much interest. Obviously the dynamics have changed a bit since then but I’m not certain what the FO thinks of him. In any case, we need a legit 4 who can shoot from the outside and may need to take what we can get (unless Mirotic becomes a FA next year).

I get that Mirotic was a RFA but it didn’t seem like we had much interest. Obviously the dynamics have changed a bit since then but I’m not certain what the FO thinks of him. In any case, we need a legit 4 who can shoot from the outside and may need to take what we can get (unless Mirotic becomes a FA next year).

We only had the mid-level, so unless they did a sign and trade with us it wasn't going to work. If we offer him the 4 year mid level the match and are likely super happy. He wanted like 4/60 from the rumor mills if I remember correctly. I do think he name came up with the Jazz on one of the aggregated sites this summer.

Mirotic would be a mistake. We need to keep the long-term in mind and he's a pissy dude. Donovan is too good to **** around with a guy who could become a cancer. We can afford to be a little patient.

I don't think he's a cancer... I think he has some of the same competitiveness Rudy does... Rudy was upset about going to the D League his rookie season. Rudy dumped on some teammates in the media last year... all of that can be considered pissy too. That organization is not the standard and some of this can be attributed to just frustration.

I don't think he's a cancer... I think he has some of the same competitiveness Rudy does... Rudy was upset about going to the D League his rookie season. Rudy dumped on some teammates in the media last year... all of that can be considered pissy too. That organization is not the standard and some of this can be attributed to just frustration.

How big of a red flag is the punch though? You've gotta think it wasn't just Portis unhappy with Mirotic for some reason. If the rest of the teammates liked Mirotic the punch probably wouldn't have been thrown.

From a recent article:

‘‘We’re not going to let the things he says ruin the team, ruin the team mood or whatever,’’ guard Denzel Valentine said.

And, "He’s definitely helped out a lot
because he’s making shots and playing a lot harder than it appeared last year..."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports...ulls-teammates-or-rubbing-them-the-wrong-way/

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6985485

Utah:
Rubio to PHX
Hood to CHI

PHX:
Monroe to CHI

CHI:
Mirotic to UTA

Was just looking at the trade forums on RealGM... Chicago fans want the world for Niko (not surprising), but it is kind of funny to me. They need to tank and their best future prospect is Lauri who plays the same position. They want Exum, a first and Favs... I'd say that is ambitious to say the least.

I'm probably reading too much into Summer League but I wouldn't to Exum and Favs for Niko... although removing Exum's cap hold helps with flexibility this summer.

Phoenix fans also would take on Rubio according to the forums... even offered up a second with Monroe.

Forums ain't real life obvi.

How big of a red flag is the punch though? You've gotta think it wasn't just Portis unhappy with Mirotic for some reason. If the rest of the teammates liked Mirotic the punch probably wouldn't have been thrown.

From a recent article:

‘‘We’re not going to let the things he says ruin the team, ruin the team mood or whatever,’’ guard Denzel Valentine said.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports...ulls-teammates-or-rubbing-them-the-wrong-way/
It doesn’t matter — we’re signing Trevor Booker to rough him up — or anyone else — if he gets out of hand.

I like Mirotic a lot... wanted us to get him this offseason. You've been higher than many on Hood, so you must really be on board with Niko. I think Hood Favs is an overpay, but not crazy... People have to remember Hood is getting paid unless he tears his achilles or something. On his next deal he may be a millstone.

In a reply to LoPo I looked at expanding the deal... I would target Holiday if we give up Hood... It may need to be a three team deal to get parts that fit better for everyone.

I like Mirotic and I think there are ways we could get him without having to use Hood. Like Cy said, I'm not so high on Holiday. He isn't a massive deal, but he's $4.5 we shouldn't go out of our way to absorb. If you consider Chicago still has to spend a couple million to reach the salary floor, I don't think they are trying to dump contracts as much as just lose and develop.

I hope we don't get too to anxious for Mirotic. He's available for trade on January 15, but I don't want to enter a bidding war for him. Not many contenders have the assets Chicago will probably want. We need to be patient and hope his price falls after a week or two.

Was just looking at the trade forums on RealGM... Chicago fans want the world for Niko (not surprising), but it is kind of funny to me. They need to tank and their best future prospect is Lauri who plays the same position. They want Exum, a first and Favs... I'd say that is ambitious to say the least.

I'm probably reading too much into Summer League but I wouldn't to Exum and Favs for Niko... although removing Exum's cap hold helps with flexibility this summer.

Phoenix fans also would take on Rubio according to the forums... even offered up a second with Monroe.

Forums ain't real life obvi.
(This is pure fantasy):

Then give Chicago Exum and have PHX direct a second round pick (should be decent, no?) to Chicago. Then take Hood, a pick and expiring guys and get Otto Porter and take Mihimni, sell them on opening up room for two free agents, then somehow get Patrick Beverley.

Beverley / Neto
Mitchell / Ingles
Porter / Thabo
Mirotic / Jerebko
Gobert / Udoh

Gobert surrounded by 4 guys who can light up 40+% from 3. The bench a poor man’s version of the same thing.

Last edited:

From a recent article:

IDK... but Jordan punched Kerr in practice... and I don't think some of Rudy's teammates appreciated him calling them out last year.

I get the impression he does have an overly confident persona, but I don't think he's a diva or a cancer. I think he lacks the tact to make sure his comments don't offend.

NBA talent often times comes with some baggage... Niko's baggage is okay in my mind. All of these guys are confident, want to be the best, and want to play. I wouldn't want a guy that does not want to play the end of games when he is hot... I prefer he keeps it to himself when the media is around, but I get the frustration.

Look at what he is doing per minute... dude should be playing 36 minutes a game if they were running out the best dudes and trying to win.

IDK... but Jordan punched Kerr in practice... and I don't think some of Rudy's teammates appreciated him calling them out last year.

I get the impression he does have an overly confident persona, but I don't think he's a diva or a cancer. I think he lacks the tact to make sure his comments don't offend.

NBA talent often times comes with some baggage... Niko's baggage is okay in my mind. All of these guys are confident, want to be the best, and want to play. I wouldn't want a guy that does not want to play the end of games when he is hot... I prefer he keeps it to himself when the media is around, but I get the frustration.

Look at what he is doing per minute... dude should be playing 36 minutes a game if they were running out the best dudes and trying to win.

The most impressive stat to me is that they were something like 3-20 without him and are something like 12-2 with him.

I’m impressed with his rebounding numbers. A lot of outside shooting guys suck at rebounding, which is a huge turnoff. His numbers are pretty respectable.

I like Mirotic and I think there are ways we could get him without having to use Hood. Like Cy said, I'm not so high on Holiday. He isn't a massive deal, but he's $4.5 we shouldn't go out of our way to absorb. If you consider Chicago still has to spend a couple million to reach the salary floor, I don't think they are trying to dump contracts as much as just lose and develop.

I hope we don't get too to anxious for Mirotic. He's available for trade on January 15, but I don't want to enter a bidding war for him. Not many contenders have the assets Chicago will probably want. We need to be patient and hope his price falls after a week or two.

Niko has gone on hot streaks before... nothing like this nuclear streak though... there is a chance he comes back down to earth in the next two weeks.

I do think he has figured things out though... Last year after the AS break he shot over 40% from three as well.

With regard to Hood... I just ask myself would I rather have Hood on a 4/80 (or more) starting next year or Niko on a 1/12.5M deal? I might be coming around to including Hood in a deal if we had to, but I'd try and move AB or Rubio in the process. Would leave us kind of thin unless Exum or Neto came back.