What's new

Nikola Mirotic

I’m impressed with his rebounding numbers. A lot of outside shooting guys suck at rebounding, which is a huge turnoff. His numbers are pretty respectable.

This year... in the past he's not great for a four.

The most impressive stat to me is that they were something like 3-20 without him and are something like 12-2 with him.

Yes. Part of that is Kris Dunn too, but yeah I still don't know how they are going 12-2 during any stretch with that roster.

This year... in the past he's not great for a four.
Yeah, this year. But in years past he’s about 8 P36, which isn’t great but a lot of the “stretch big” we talk about have real ****** numbers around 6 or less per 36, which is really just like putting a wing at 4.

A few random comments:

1. Mirotic seems like a great on-court fit for Jazz.

2. I'd be willing to gamble with his personality.

3. I'm not sure the article referenced in the original post (nor the articles it referenced) are really new information. It still seems s more like continued columnist speculation than new, solid reporting. I don't think this signals that he's any more "gettable" than we would have thought last week.

4. I'll be surprised if the Bulls move him for non-young assets and/or draft picks. I'm not sure the motivation to tank is strong enough to just accept back assets that don't really help the Bulls long-term.

5. I wouldn't send the Bulls Exum, but I'd seriously consider Bradley, 2018 1st, Favors, Joe Johnson for Mirotic & Lopez (if they're really intent from moving off of his salary next year). Don't know if that's the best offer the Bulls can get.

Yeah, this year. But in years past he’s about 8 P36, which isn’t great but a lot of the “stretch big” we talk about have real ****** numbers around 6 or less per 36, which is really just like putting a wing at 4.

Yeah and he can post up a bit, iirc, so you can't play a pure wing on him. His defense isn't awful either.

Man he's a pretty useful player... some of his inconsistency I think can be explained through roster turnover and ill fitting parts. I don't want to get impatient and give up too much for him, but the fit is really damn good.

Niko has gone on hot streaks before... nothing like this nuclear streak though... there is a chance he comes back down to earth in the next two weeks.

I do think he has figured things out though... Last year after the AS break he shot over 40% from three as well.

With regard to Hood... I just ask myself would I rather have Hood on a 4/80 (or more) starting next year or Niko on a 1/12.5M deal? I might be coming around to including Hood in a deal if we had to, but I'd try and move AB or Rubio in the process. Would leave us kind of thin unless Exum or Neto came back.

To me, both Hood and Niko are solid, complimentary players. Together, I think they support a superstar combo of Mitchell and Gobert rather well. However, if we used Hood to get Mirotic, I just feel like it's a lateral move. We would be chomping at the bit for a wing scorer once we lost Hood.

If we trade Hood, I want us to be really, really bold with what we are pursuing. I would hope to target either a high draft pick or a guy with really high potential. Of course Hood can't get that on his own, but he could be a substantial piece to the right team.

A few random comments:

1. Mirotic seems like a great on-court fit for Jazz.

2. I'd be willing to gamble with his personality.

3. I'm not sure the article referenced in the original post (nor the articles it referenced) are really new information. It still seems s more like continued columnist speculation than new, solid reporting. I don't think this signals that he's any more "gettable" than we would have thought last week.

4. I'll be surprised if the Bulls move him for non-young assets and/or draft picks. I'm not sure the motivation to tank is strong enough to just accept back assets that don't really help the Bulls long-term.

5. I wouldn't send the Bulls Exum, but I'd seriously consider Bradley, 2018 1st, Favors, Joe Johnson for Mirotic & Lopez (if they're really intent from moving off of his salary next year). Don't know if that's the best offer the Bulls can get.

I think our pick this year is worth much more than Exum right now. I don't think Chicago is a great fit for Hood or Exum with Dunn and Lavine there... so if it's not a couple seconds and it needs to be Hood I think it would be a three team deal.

Put some protection on a pick so it eventually becomes two second rounders. Don’t we still own like 50 of those?

To me, both Hood and Niko are solid, complimentary players. Together, I think they support a superstar combo of Mitchell and Gobert rather well. However, if we used Hood to get Mirotic, I just feel like it's a lateral move. We would be chomping at the bit for a wing scorer once we lost Hood.

If we trade Hood, I want us to be really, really bold with what we are pursuing. I would hope to target either a high draft pick or a guy with really high potential. Of course Hood can't get that on his own, but he could be a substantial piece to the right team.

I like Hood as a player, but I think his next contract has a better chance of being an overall negative than an overall positive. Would love to be wrong, but inconsistency and injuries make me nervous once he gets paid big money.

I think our pick this year is worth much more than Exum right now.

Not to me, and I would hope not to the Jazz either. Guess I'm still a bit of an Exum homer.

If our 12-18 pick is worth that much (too much to consider using), I don't think there's any way we're getting Mirotic (unless, as you say there's some way to swing a 3-way deal).

I like Hood as a player, but I think his next contract has a better chance of being an overall negative than an overall positive. Would love to be wrong, but inconsistency and injuries make me nervous once he gets paid big money.

I agree. His next contract really, really worries me. I would rather trade him as part of a big package to get a more secure asset back. I just don't feel like Mirotic is that secure asset.

Not to me, and I would hope not to the Jazz either. Guess I'm still a bit of an Exum homer.

I don't see any reason why we would trade Exum right now. His value is at an all time low due to his 2nd long injury. He has shown flashes of potential and he seems happy enough in Utah. I would hate to have invested the time and patience just to lose him for a borderline lottery pick.

The way I see it, our options for a floor spacer are:

Kevin Love: would be a dream. Wouldn’t be dealt until this summer and by that point we wouldn’t even have the contracts to send back to make it work.

Ryan Anderson: was on market last year. Houston probably leaves as-is. His contract is killer so this is a non-starter.

Aaron Gordon: going to be matched.

Jabari: not even really a 4 except being a bit slower. Will likely be matched.

Saric: not sure why Philly would move.

Kuzma: not being dealt to clear Deng’s salary.

Trey Lyles: lolz

Trevor Booker: not really a stretch guy but can rebound the ball.

Jerebko: not bad as a fill in guy. Not bad if you have to combine him and Booker.

So unless we draft a guy next year ready to contribute, then I think you’ve gotta take Mirotic if you can get him, considering how hard it’d be to land someone else.

I don't see any reason why we would trade Exum right now. His value is at an all time low due to his 2nd long injury. He has shown flashes of potential and he seems happy enough in Utah. I would hate to have invested the time and patience just to lose him for a borderline lottery pick.

His value to other teams is less than his value to us imo. I still believe... at the same time I'd rate our pick this year as much more valuable.

Exum's contract is going to be so much less than Rodneys that I think it will have a much bigger chance to exceed it's overall value. I think best case on Rodney is that he lives up to his contract... worst case is that it really hurts us long term.

The way I see it, our options for a floor spacer are:

Kevin Love: would be a dream. Wouldn’t be dealt until this summer and by that point we wouldn’t even have the contracts to send back to make it work.

Ryan Anderson: was on market last year. Houston probably leaves as-is. His contract is killer so this is a non-starter.

Aaron Gordon: going to be matched.

Jabari: not even really a 4 except being a bit slower. Will likely be matched.

Saric: not sure why Philly would move.

Kuzma: not being dealt to clear Deng’s salary.

Trey Lyles: lolz

Trevor Booker: not really a stretch guy but can rebound the ball.

Jerebko: not bad as a fill in guy. Not bad if you have to combine him and Booker.

So unless we draft a guy next year ready to contribute, then I think you’ve gotta take Mirotic if you can get him, considering how hard it’d be to land someone else.
Here's another plan:

Punt on the idea that there's a guy that ticks all the boxes and just fill the position by committee. Stock the team with large wings, and they can take turns on defensive assignments. Ingles is sometimes a "4" in such a system. Jae Crowder could be very useful in this pursuit as well.

And I don't trade a Utah 1st for anything less than a higher 1st or star to build around. I do trade Exum for something less, because I have no idea what is going on with him and his career.

The idea that we need to stick by Exum because he hasn't shown us anything yet is a reason to walk away, not a reason to double-down.

Here's another plan:

Punt on the idea that there's a guy that ticks all the boxes and just fill the position by committee. Stock the team with large wings, and they can take turns on defensive assignments. Ingles is sometimes a "4" in such a system. Jae Crowder could be very useful in this pursuit as well.
If we landed Mirotic without Favors then I’d be pursuing Crowder with Favors.

Here's another plan:

We basically have that if we let Favs go or trade him. Thabo/Jonas/Joe Jesus at the 4.

I think Niko gets moved for something less than a 1st unless they are taking bad money back... I think there is value there and fit. We should be in on these conversations.

I don't see why people think that the Bulls wouldn't do Favors and a second rounder for Mirotic. I mean... the guy is playing the lights out and all. But that's been what... 3 weeks? Before that he spent 3 years playing par for them. The guy doesn't mesh with their team. The Portis/Mirotic situation was terrible! Do you really think he is going to play like this for them knowing that he isn't getting traded as of January? Nah. It won't take much to light a major fire in that locker room. They have a bunch of younglings that they don't want getting mixed up in it all. They have to ship him out.

My guess is that they want a young player or a draft pick but an expiring contract can't be too far behind. The NBA overspent in 2017 so expiring contracts should be more valuable, not less. If they can get a 1st rounder for Mirotic and an expiring, it would be done immediately IMHO. I just don't think there are many teams that have the flexibility to make that type of an offer. I would think the only teams that would take the risk would be teams competing for playoffs or competing for going deeper in the playoffs.

Someone like the Bucks, Knicks, Pacers, or Thunder. The Bucks don't have anything worth trading. The Knicks could do a Wily Hernangomez + stuff deal. Pacers might like him next to Myles Turner so they could do Domantus + stuff deal. The Thunder have enough ball hogs...

Would Cleveland or the Warriors want Mirotic? Well, SURE! But at what cost when you are paying $4 for every dollar you go over the cap? $12,000,000 x 4...

Spurs? Who would they trade? Bertans? Why not just keep the younger, cheaper, better attitude.

I mean... the list isn't THAT long as to teams that would be willing to give up much to get him. And Chicago keeping him sounds very risky.