What's new

Nikola Mirotic

Please remind me why we think Cleveland is eager to move Crowder. I see he's been quite terrible this year -- maybe that's it? (Remind me why we want him if he can't do well with the Cavs ...)

Just kidding ... at least a bit. But his relatively poor year (really not any better than Exum last year) in a situation where he was supposed to be the perfect fit has me wondering.

Still want to see Mitchell, Hood, Jingles, Favors, Gobert lineup before trading anyone.

Here's another plan:

Punt on the idea that there's a guy that ticks all the boxes and just fill the position by committee. Stock the team with large wings, and they can take turns on defensive assignments. Ingles is sometimes a "4" in such a system. Jae Crowder could be very useful in this pursuit as well.

I was just about to pose the idea of transitioning Ingles to full time PF sooner rather than later. He's not going to get faster and he's already 30. There are plenty of successful power forwards in the current NBA who are 6'8" 230. And with Jerekbo and even O'Neal, we could platoon the position.

Crowder is harder get than Mirotic...

And he might be a worse fit... I think I'm beginning to believe the Boston homers that he fell off last year... at least on the defensive end. I don't see his current play as an upgrade over Thabo. His contract and age make him more valuable obvi.

I was just about to pose the idea of transitioning Ingles to full time PF sooner rather than later. He's not going to get faster and he's already 30. There are plenty of successful power forwards in the current NBA who are 6'8" 230. And with Jerekbo and even O'Neal, we could platoon the position.

I don't think he can do it full time... just not built that way. I think he's better at guarding 2s than 4s.

O'Neale Jerebko Thabo next year is good enough at the 4... but Mirotic is more dynamic and would be a clear upgrade. He's youngish too.

Here's another plan:

Punt on the idea that there's a guy that ticks all the boxes and just fill the position by committee. Stock the team with large wings, and they can take turns on defensive assignments. Ingles is sometimes a "4" in such a system. Jae Crowder could be very useful in this pursuit as well.

The problem with Ingles at 4 is you lose a lot of rebounding from that position.

I don't think he can do it full time... just not built that way. I think he's better at guarding 2s than 4s.

O'Neale Jerebko Thabo next year is good enough at the 4... but Mirotic is more dynamic and would be a clear upgrade. He's youngish too.

I agree. Just like with Favors currently who plays some PF and some Center. If Jingles could give us half his minutes at PF, it opens up so many options.

Threekola--EXT02.jpg

I'm looking at possible trade destinations for Niko and I'm not seeing a lot of workable scenarios where Chicago would get more than 2nds, maybe a middling prospect, and expirings.

Indiana has Young and Bogdanovic, so Niko would be a bench piece... they giving up a first for him?
Toronto is a maybe if Chicago like JV, but I think that is a negative contract at this point. They gave up their 2018 1st in the Carroll salary dump.
Washington maybe... Gortat and a 1st or Mahinmi (and his 3year deal) and a first. I think a Morris Niko locker room might get problematic.
Cleveland doesn't have a big need with Crowder, Love, and Frye... all different kinds of stretch bigs. They do have the assets, but I don't think the upgrade helps them against the GSW.
Denver has a few stretch PFs.
Minnesota couldn't handle the second year of his deal with their cap situation and they have Bjelica.
Portland maybe... would require some bad salary going Chicago's way. Leonard, Harkless, Turner... they also have to re-up Nurkic next year.
Milwaukee maybe depending on if Chicago like DJ Wilson or Thon Maker... not sure they would throw Brogdnon in the deal.
Detroit is an option, but they have Harris as the stretch and would want to offload bad salary too...
Boston can't really cobble enough salary together to make a feasible deal.

Who am I missing here that is worth discussing? I think the strongest possibilities are Washington, Milwaukee, Detroit, Indiana... I don't see any breaking the bank for him.

It's a low ball offer but I don't see another suitor that will pony up a ton. I think they are fairly set on moving him before the deadline... a couple decent seconds might be as good as they can do unless they want to take on bad money... even then the teams dumping bad money are doing it because they are in bad cap situations so they may not be completely convinced on picking up his option... so he might be viewed as a rental.

I think his market and the situation are such that they get .50-.75 cents on the dollar in almost any deal.

Cheaper and longer contract. I know he is having a stinker season, but before that he was considered to be the best value contract in the NBA (non-rookie).
So taking on Shumpert + Crowder's salary and saving them however many tens of millions of dollars is somehow less value? For a player that hasn't been good?

Straight up, I'm not interested in parting with future assets of any significance because I view the likelihood of him staying as low anyway.

But if we're talking a couple of 2nds, yeah.

Joe Jesus and Tony Bradley for Mirotic? I'm not a big Bradley fan, but they can say they got a first rounder for Mirotic.

Bradley and a second? they don't have either of their own second round picks in 2018 and 2019... so those picks would have some value.

Joe Jesus and Tony Bradley for Mirotic? I'm not a big Bradley fan, but they can say they got a first rounder for Mirotic.

Bradley and a second? they don't have either of their own second round picks in 2018 and 2019... so those picks would have some value.
I think those are low but I think you may be onto something with the Bradley thing.

I thought Crowder was a possibility but then I forgot about the relationship he may or may not have with IT. If they have mutual respect and IT likes him, then it is very unlikely he is just dumped.

Joe Johnson and 2 2nd's would be my initial offer. Chicago would probably waive Joe and weaken their depth. I know Chicago wants more than that, but that would be my initial offer. It would be nice if there was a contender out there who really wanted JoeJ because a three team is ideal here.

So taking on Shumpert + Crowder's salary and saving them however many tens of millions of dollars is somehow less value? For a player that hasn't been good?
Confused as to what you are asking me in the first sentence.

I don't think they want to give up Crowder as his defensive versatility will be key in the Finals. His contract is still great and I don't think they are moving it to just get off Shumpert.

I think those are low but I think you may be onto something with the Bradley thing.

They are and if you read anything from Bulls fans they want prospects and lotto picks... Both sides are likely unreasonable.

He's had hot streaks before... They would be wise to sell high if he is not in the LT planning. If they aren't selling him at a discount and are willing to just keep him then fine. I'm not paying full price based on what he has done the last 14 games.