What's new

Nikola Mirotic

In all seriousness, why not just wait until 2019 and then sign him as a UFA?
Landscapes change. Secure what you can get when you can get it. Plus getting him for next year (and this year).

Here there's nothing like that going on, so there's no way the Jazz should give up a 1st in such a trade.
Maybe the jazz want to keep their players happy. Rudy and donovan might be the type of guys who are happiest when they are winning.
So the jazz got hill to keep hayward happy. Maybe they should get Mirotic to keep gobert and donovan (and everyone else) happy by being a good team.

It’s a hell of a lot easier to retain a guy than get a brand new guy. I know our recency bias with GH and GH skews our opinions, but it’s true.

Say you're the Bulls and it turns out the best Mirotic offers are:

Jon Leuer (10.5M this year, 10M next, 9.5M the following) and a 2018 Pistons lottery-protected 1st; and

Alec Burks (10.8M this year, 11.5M next) and a 2019 lottery-protected Jazz 1st

Which do you take? Or do you just say, "screw it; we'll keep Mirotic and see what happens"?

We’d have his early-Bird rights and could sign him up to $22M/yr or something (something higher than he’d get), so I don’t think not having full bird riffs is an issue.
Thanks, I totally forgot about the difference between Bird and Early Bird, and was thinking there was no advantage if the player didn't have a three year contract.

Thanks, I totally forgot about the difference between Bird and Early Bird, and was thinking there was no advantage if the player didn't have a three year contract.
Yeah, we can offer him more, but we also have a cap which is nice and honestly I don’t think there’s any way anyone offers him more than $20 (of even close to that) with the cap crunch. I also would find it hard to see him find a better basketball situation with his front court partner that allows him to do what he does best. Of course, you could have said this about Hayward, but I don’t believe he’s a guy being chased on that level and I think the odds of retaining him are very high [this has nothing to do with reports of him being “intrigued” by Snyder, as alluded to earlier, as I was the first skeptic saying that that report doesn’t necessarily mean anything].

I like Lamb and Bandit. Keep your Kemba, or send him to Detroit.

In other news....George Hill to the Cavs after a buyout?

I really don't like guys who chase the money then force their way out of town. I also don't like that the NBA rules allow it, then allow the super teams to sign these guys on the cheap.

I wish the NBA had a system that allowed the Kings to waive Hill today, and every team in the league could have a chance to bid on what percentage of his contract they would cover. If the Jazz were highest at 47%, his contract would be transferred to the Jazz and the Kings would pay the other 53%. Maybe someday when I rule the world.

I like Lamb and Bandit. Keep your Kemba, or send him to Detroit.

In other news....George Hill to the Cavs after a buyout?

I really don't like guys who chase the money then force their way out of town. I also don't like that the NBA rules allow it, then allow the super teams to sign these guys on the cheap.

I wish the NBA had a system that allowed the Kings to waive Hill today, and every team in the league could have a chance to bid on what percentage of his contract they would cover. If the Jazz were highest at 47%, his contract would be transferred to the Jazz and the Kings would pay the other 53%. Maybe someday when I rule the world.
Buyout? What the **** are you talking about?

6cec67187d2e8f22adb9ef8560f72f536182786b_hq.jpg

I don't think the Jazz move anyone. I remember the last time the Jazz had a couple of expiring deals they were going to move to allow the team to grow....

millsap.jpg