What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Game Thread Oct 22, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Kings

Added to Calendar: 10-22-21

Release the Kraken

That was a quality win, braughs. They played the blueprint of a game that has caused us real problems over the last couple of years: very aggressive defense on our ball handlers, and efficient midrange sniping. And we lost Joe early on. And it was their home opener.

I’m encouraged.
If defense was considered equal to offense, Davion Mitchell would be atop the ROY standings IMO. Kid is really elite in that category and actually embarrassed the other DM a few times. But Donovan is a true stud - embraced the challenge and wouldn’t be denied!

TheGoldStandard

People complained Whiteside’s screens are soft, but he levelled Davion Mitchell into the shadow realm in the 2nd quarter. Perhaps Rudy’s teaching him.
I think the criticism is he does not set good screens. He needs better technique. Even the hard screen you see him lift his arms which could have made it offensive. He sets "thin" screens, and has poor timing (picks too soon, rolls to early, etc.), making many of his screens ineffective. Hopefully it will get better as he develops teams chemistry and a better feel for the playbook.

At the same time, Rudy sets some of the best screens in the league, so hopefully Hassan learns something from Rudy.

Last edited:

KqWIN

Whiteside played for the Heat for years and still didn't set screens or play smart defense consistently. He's not suddenly going to change now that he's here. You take the good with the bad. The good is that Whiteside has talent and great physical gifts but the bad is that he spaces out and doesn't always compete. Having a night like game 1 and then a follow up performance like game 2 is the Whiteside experience in a nutshell.

KqWIN

I'm just now watching the game with commentary for the first time. Does anyone know if Holly is actually sitting next to Boler? It's a weird dynamic they've got going on. It sounds like they're cutting to Holly with a sideline report between every possession instead of two people having an actual conversation.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I'm just now watching the game with commentary for the first time. Does anyone know if Holly is actually sitting next to Boler? It's a weird dynamic they've got going on. It sounds like they're cutting to Holly with a sideline report between every possession instead of two people having an actual conversation.
They’re next to each other.

Jazzman12

Seriously!! What game did you watch. They will not come close to the playoffs or a winning record. Might I remind you just how bad the jazz played and still won, even through out the game when we were losing and not being able to do anything but shoot threes, the game was always in reach because the kings while they looked good at times would mess up to allow us to keep it close. This jazz team played bad enough to lose by double digits. If the jazz had been even slightly decent we win by 20+ easy. The kings are still the kings.
You seem pretty passionate about this. I just made the observation that the Kings look to be improved. I’m not claiming they’re the next great thing or even a remote threat in the West. Last year, they were pretty bad and ended up 2 games behind the Spurs for a spot in the play-in. I could see them on the fringes of the 8-10 range by the end of this season and in the hunt for the play-in.

It doesn’t seem like a hot take, and I don’t have much fire in my belly to keep talking about the Kings so that’s pretty much all the argument you’ll get from me.