What's new

Game Thread Oct 22, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Kings

Added to Calendar: 10-22-21

Funky game. SAC was really disrupting the offense with their ball pressure. Whiteside played well and Forrest really stood out compared to Oni and Butler as well. Usually when we're -9 in Gobert's minutes it means we lost by 50 so I'll take the win. He really shut the door at the end of the game and that's what great players and teams do.

I noticed during shootaround at Halftime Rudy was having a talk with Hassan at the free throw line. Possibly giving him advice. The bond between these two is meshing very, very well. Gobert was the first to reach out to Hassan when he signed here, and they apparently are hanging out a lot during their downtime. I'm lovin It! There was a sequence when Rudy made a big play Whiteside was the first one celebrating off the bench. Then when Whiteside got an offensive board and got the putback Gobert was on the bench flexing. If Gobert motivates Whiteside to get back to his 2015 form we will be a very hard team to stop come playoff time. That's like having Bill Russell Jr with Wilt Jr. backing him up.

Ya i noticed a few moments throughout the game of good chemistry between the two.
Whiteside got called for a BS foul and got taken out of the game and when rudy was checking in and passing him on the court they had a little hug/back pat and i see rudy offering encouragement

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I thought I read somewhere he will be back after the first of next year.
Man, that's like 6-7 months after the surgery. I reckon he'll come in knowing the playbook which is big; hopefully he acclimates quickly like Clarkson did after being traded here.

That was a quality win, braughs. They played the blueprint of a game that has caused us real problems over the last couple of years: very aggressive defense on our ball handlers, and efficient midrange sniping. And we lost Joe early on. And it was their home opener.

I’m encouraged.
If defense was considered equal to offense, Davion Mitchell would be atop the ROY standings IMO. Kid is really elite in that category and actually embarrassed the other DM a few times. But Donovan is a true stud - embraced the challenge and wouldn’t be denied!

People complained Whiteside’s screens are soft, but he levelled Davion Mitchell into the shadow realm in the 2nd quarter. Perhaps Rudy’s teaching him.
I think the criticism is he does not set good screens. He needs better technique. Even the hard screen you see him lift his arms which could have made it offensive. He sets "thin" screens, and has poor timing (picks too soon, rolls to early, etc.), making many of his screens ineffective. Hopefully it will get better as he develops teams chemistry and a better feel for the playbook.

At the same time, Rudy sets some of the best screens in the league, so hopefully Hassan learns something from Rudy.

Last edited:
Whiteside played for the Heat for years and still didn't set screens or play smart defense consistently. He's not suddenly going to change now that he's here. You take the good with the bad. The good is that Whiteside has talent and great physical gifts but the bad is that he spaces out and doesn't always compete. Having a night like game 1 and then a follow up performance like game 2 is the Whiteside experience in a nutshell.