Rational CoViD-19 Discussion Thread: Science vs. Politics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by babe, Mar 17, 2020.

1. One Brow

One Brow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Flu normally declines in March-April. However, I agree there are probably cases of covid19 diagnosed as flu, and vice-versa.

2. babe

babe Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Normal incidence stats have some degree of symmetry on the rates as they rise then fall. If you see an abnormal pattern, it's reasonable to explore or study or research for an explanation.

I'm have no doubts that without a diagnostic test, between illnesses sharing some significant common symptoms our guesses will normally distribute with some equal trends for wrong guesses one way or the other,

If, without some reason, all the "guesses" go the same way, I suppose it may be more popular to have the one getting the attributions...… but it is actually a perverse incentive existing in more doctors wanting to plump the charges or get a gov payout for the "right" attribution, to choose to call it something that pays better. No doubt this is some trend in the covid stats, pretty hard to evaluate without authority to check the records and test the former patients for antibodies. But a serious epidemiologist doing a competent research project would do something capable of quantifying the behavior/reports. The fact that our gov will not fund such research is a proof of a deliberate political intent to maintain a falsehood.
    for whatever reason.

3. One Brow

May 26, 2010
    Not if they are unknown and highly contagious. You'd expect a large degree of left-skewing.

4. Scat

Scat Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    It's not. The difference is that we don't spend 5 trillion dollars and shut down the country for the flu.

5. One Brow

May 26, 2010
    Flu has not killed as many people over any two consecutive years in the past 20 as covid19 has in the past two months.

6. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    There are other differences. The entire world (not just the US) is recognizing that this isn't the flu.
    This is killing way more people in the world than the flu does in any year (and it's only been around for a few months rather than a year) and that's even with the measures that have been employed.
    There is no vaccine for covid19.

Those are a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more differences.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app