What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Reports in the local media Jazz to re-sign Exum

NUMBERICA

We have that guy already and his name is Miye Oni.

Would not mind carrying both though. We are very thin when it comes to these defensive wing types.
Oni also can't do a damn thing on the ball and is also not a very skilled passer. Also, he's only theoretically a decent shooter. He also fouls A LOT which is not good defense (unless you're giving purposeful, hard fouls, which he doesn't do).

I know it's ridiculously early in the season so the sample size is microscopic, but Oni has a NEGATIVE PER which is mind-bending. That comes with a -9 BPM as well. In the context of a dude who has two seasons of contributing nothing and has seemingly gotten worse, that's at least a little disconcerting.

KqWIN

Oni also can't do a damn thing on the ball and is also not a very skilled passer. Also, he's only a theoretically decent shooter. He also fouls A LOT which is not good defense (unless you're giving purposeful, hard fouls, which he doesn't do).

I don't disagree with anything said here, but he is pretty much exactly the player you described earlier. That's why I'm higher on Oni and don't see the big deal with giving him a roster spot. He's above average on defense and has a proven track record that he's about a 35% shooter. I'm confident he is at that level even if I wish he was better at them. If he was a little bit better on each end he'd play in every rotation in the league. Danny Green can barely bounce a basketball but has been a starter for years on championship level teams because he's good at the right skills.

NUMBERICA

I don't disagree with anything said here, but he is pretty much exactly the player you described earlier. That's why I'm higher on Oni and don't see the big deal with giving him a roster spot. He's above average on defense and has a proven track record that he's about a 35% shooter. I'm confident he is at that level even if I wish he was better at them. If he was a little bit better on each end he'd play in every rotation in the league. Danny Green can barely bounce a basketball but has been a starter for years on championship level teams because he's good at the right skills.
****en eye roll.

When there’s anything to compare about Oni and Danny Green’s performance, feel free to make the comparison.

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
yeah wasn't sure if i misunderstood it but i heard Andrew Bogut insinuate such on a podcast last week, he'd heard things both from Dante's camp and some contacts of his in Utah that Jazz are still worried about their perimeter D and lack of size defensively. Maybe a Mudiay type scenario, non guarenteed.

Yeah Bogut has some pretty good sources, his co-host Mike Procopio was my source for the split in the front office between DL and Quin after the playoffs. I broke that story here about a week before it went

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
If he doesn’t bring baggage or drama, can hit a wide-open corner 3 at 35% or higher, and can play up to SF then sure.

Being a deep bench player is honestly kinda perfect for him. But I generally lean toward his having too much baggage at a minimum and would rather not.

The kid never bitched and whinged, I don't think I've ever seen him say a bad thing about the organisation either.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
We saw the Jazz bring in Donovan's childhood bestie in Paschall. The idea here is to bring in Exum so that when Simmons gets waived he signs for the minimum to play with his childhood bestie Exum. Simmons then becomes our designated defender off the bench in Oni's minutes.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
The kid never bitched and whinged, I don't think I've ever seen him say a bad thing about the organisation either.
He didn't and it's true. But Jazz and Utahjazzz were absolutely insufferable.

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
We saw the Jazz bring in Donovan's childhood bestie in Paschall. The idea here is to bring in Exum so that when Simmons gets waived he signs for the minimum to play with his childhood bestie Exum. Simmons then becomes our designated defender off the bench in Oni's minutes.

Honestly don't think they're that tight, could be that Joe needs a full time nanny now that he has 3 kids.

KqWIN

****en eye roll.

When there’s anything to compare about Oni and Danny Green’s performance, feel free to make the comparison.

I mean...I never said they were comparable in performance. Danny Green is simply an example of how far you can go as long as you have the right skills and also a testament to how valuable the skillset you described is. Everybody is looking for a low maintenance, good defensive wing who can shoot well enough to not bomb your offense.