What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Reports in the local media Jazz to re-sign Exum

NUMBERICA

I mean...I never said they were comparable in performance. Danny Green is simply an example of how far you can go as long as you have the right skills and also a testament to how valuable the skillset you described is. Everybody is looking for a low maintenance, good defensive wing who can shoot well enough to not bomb your offense.
What you just described is not Danny Green though, who is an ELITE shooter, who had an established track record of winning basketball at the highest level of the NCAA, and who actually played near-elite defense. Oni's SOS in college was NEGATIVE, but more importantly, in the NBA he has been reeking dog ****. These are not comparable players.

We're talking about players that should only see the floor in blowouts so it's whatever. However, Exum can at least defend at an NBA level which is more than can be said of Oni. Or at least he could. He also demonstrated good lob chemistry with Rudy.

Do you understand how bad a basketball player has to be for me to make a comparison that is favorable to Dante Exum?

Last edited:

NAOS

I like Forrest, but if he were to ever become a regular in a rotation teams might realize he's a 25% 3 point shooter and will surely punish us for that.
Let them sag off of him, then. Dude is showing that he can punish a defense without bombing a 3. I have almost zero worries about him an effective rotation defense-first guy... even he’s shooting in the low 30%s. And I think he’ll get into the mid-30s.

KqWIN

What you just described is not Danny Green though, who is an ELITE shooter, who had an established track record of winning basketball at the highest level of the NCAA, and who actually played near-elite defense. Oni's SOS in college was NEGATIVE, but more importantly, in the NBA he has been reeking dog ****. These are not comparable players.

But honestly, we're talking about players that should only see the floor in blowouts so it's whatever. But Exum can at least defend at an NBA level which is more than can be said of Oni. Or at least he could. He also demonstrated good lob chemistry with Rudy.

Do you understand how bad a basketball player has to be for me to make a comparison that is favorable to Dante Exum?

I am not saying Miye Oni is the same level. What I am saying is that they have similar roles as players and the role they play is highly valuable. They are there to to be lead wing defenders on defense and take catch and shoot 3's on offense. Anything beyond that is not really in their jurisdiction. Are you disagreeing their role on the court is different? There is no comparison in terms of caliber, performance, pedigree, or anything else besides their role on the court being made here. Miye Oni may not be good enough to be a starter on multiple championship level teams...but that's not the question here is it? The question is if he's good enough at his role to be on this roster. For me that's an solid yes.

Oni played about 350 real minutes last year, which is admittedly not a ton, but it was enough for me to feel confident that he won't mess things up. He blends well into a team that is stacked with perimeter players who don't defend and also want to shoot/handle the ball all the time. If this was a team that needs players to add playmaking I might feel different, but this is the exact situation that Oni can excel in because that is the last thing we need him to do well.

Quite frankly, that's all you're asking out of these out of rotation guys. When a rotation player is out you want someone to step in and keep things going smoothly. Oni did that last year which is why I believe he can do it again. Additionally, I don't think he's that far away from being solid everyday rotation level player. Like I said, if he was a little better on both ends that's a guy who plays for every team.

KqWIN

Let them sag off of him, then. Dude is showing that he can punish a defense without bombing a 3. I have almost zero worries about him an effective rotation defense-first guy... even he’s shooting in the low 30%s. And I think he’ll get into the mid-30s.

I don't think he really can...and if I'm an opposing team I am dying for the Jazz to try to beat me with Trent Forrest. Whether he's shooting wide open 3's or getting into the paint and trying to get his floater/lob game going that is a huge win for the opponent. To me, Forrest is in a tough situation because his offensive game is only passable when he has the ball, but he is also not good enough with the ball to warrant the ball on this team.

If he was shooting low 30's I could see it....but banking on him being a low 30's shooter is arguably a bigger leap than banking on Oni being a high 30's shooter. I just don't believe in his shot. Forrest was 25% in college and 26% as a pro (NBA, Summer League, Preseason).

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
I don't think he really can...and if I'm an opposing team I am dying for the Jazz to try to beat me with Trent Forrest. Whether he's shooting wide open 3's or getting into the paint and trying to get his floater/lob game going that is a huge win for the opponent. To me, Forrest is in a tough situation because his offensive game is only passable when he has the ball, but he is also not good enough with the ball to warrant the ball on this team.

If he was shooting low 30's I could see it....but banking on him being a low 30's shooter is arguably a bigger leap than banking on Oni being a high 30's shooter. I just don't believe in his shot. Forrest was 25% in college and 26% as a pro (NBA, Summer League, Preseason).

Right now I'd have Forrest over Oni. Oni is done, next stop 2nd division in Spain or a post grad situation at some ivy league school.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I’m all for allowing the Forrest experiment, but the biggest problem (right now) is he’s being thrown in for spot minutes and without a specific role (though I’ll give Quin credit for throwing him out there with Mike and using him as a wing defender and not specifically as a PG). With Exum Quin would be fine throwing him out there on a high-profile guy or someone lighting us up. Quin hasn’t gotten to that point with Forrest. I’d like to see how he holds up. I think if that’s the route, we need to do this soon to answer the question and give experience. There’s also the two-way issue and he wouldn’t be available in the post-season. So if we could do that earlier (and if the cap issue of singing him to a regular deal is too costly) then if we could find out ASAP so we can waive Oni before the guarantee date (if financial constraints are an issue) and move Forrest to the regular roster.

TheGoldStandard

So we failed to use any of our assets to address our most glaring need during the off-season, so we'll instead bring back a player that has failed to produce anything of merit in his entire career, including being released by what may be the worst team in the league this year.

Sounds great! Sign him up!

I heard he's the only player in the league who can shut down Harden.
He played good defense that one time.

He shot 33% this year in summer league on roughly 4 attempts per, and his stroke looked much better than last year (still needs improvement, but you can tell he has worked a lot this offseason to improve).

If he is left open, I would not be surprised to see him make 3s at or around 33% based on what I saw this summer.

I don't think Oni belongs in the NBA.

KqWIN

He played good defense that one time.

He shot 33% this year in summer league on roughly 4 attempts per, and his stroke looked much better than last year (still needs improvement, but you can tell he has worked a lot this offseason to improve).

If he is left open, I would not be surprised to see him make 3s at or around 33% based on what I saw this summer.

I don't think Oni belongs in the NBA.

He shot 7/19 (37%) in 7 summer league games....but that's still only 19 attempts. When you're basically a 25% shooter your whole career it's going to take a lot more to convince me. Anything above 30% is very optimistic in my opinion because his total track record has him as a 25% shooter.

Oni belongs in the NBA and I think he did exactly what was expected of him last year. When players got injured he stepped in and we didn't miss a beat for the most part. Didn't have a great showing in the playoffs, but to me that showed me he wasn't good enough to make an impact in the playoffs, which is not the same thing as not being good enough for the roster.