What's new

Retool around Donovan

SteakNEggs

Retool with what? We'll probably win enough games to be mid range draft(which we will lose if I'm not mistaken) with the current roster meanwhile Minnesota will probably be high 20's. It's already late in FA this year so we are not finding any earth shattering pieces that are going to make us anything more than a 6 seed and that's being extremely generous. Next year will be Donovans second to last season and I still don't see us making any move that'll make us contenders. Once again the draft will be non lottery picks so hitting anything worthwhile and immediate is highly unlikely.

Then comes DM's last year and we might find enough to contend but we're mortgaging our entire future on one season, two in the unlikely event we find a championship piece next off-season.

idiot

I see I've failed in making the headline for this thread. I meant "retool" as a noun rather than a verb. But it seems most readers ignore my first sentence in the thread and assume I meant that I'm advocating for retooling around Donovan.

At least half the posts want to continue the argument (well-worn elsewhere on this forum) about the wisdom of trying to retool around Donovan. I was trying to get away from that discussion, and just trying to imagine what a hypothetical (very unlikley) "retooling" might look like.

Oh well. Carry on.

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
I see I've failed in making the headline for this thread. I meant "retool" as a noun rather than a verb. But it seems most readers ignore my first sentence in the thread and assume I meant that I'm advocating for retooling around Donovan.

At least half the posts want to continue the argument (well-worn elsewhere on this forum) about the wisdom of trying to retool around Donovan. I was trying to get away from that discussion, and just trying to imagine what a hypothetical (very unlikley) "retooling" might look like.

Oh well. Carry on.

I understand what you’re trying to get at. To be completely honest I spent a couple minutes thinking about it and it’s pretty hard to find a couple suitable deals that are realistic that would make us better. Our best bet would be to combine some of our own picks with Minnesota’s and some expiring contracts to get another star.

Hearsky

Yeah you do.

If you want to re-tool you basically trade everyone over 30 on the team. Lose as many games as possible with Mitchell then use your cap space and future picks to get some players.
Maybe I misunderstood "retool." I assume it meant to rearrange the deck chairs to try and continue trying to be as competitive as possible and make the playoffs this year. If that is the plan, you are fine with 30+ year old guys. Bev makes your team better even when he is on the bench. You need dudes like that if you are trying to win.

Saint Cy of JFC

We could easily get another star with the package we got for Gobert if the team wanted draft picks instead of win-now players. We literally got one of the top-5 trade hauls in NBA history for Gobert.
Not sure about easy. If anything the cost of stars is higher now and much harder than it's ever been.

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Re-tooling around Donovan seems like something DL and Zanik would've tried, but I think Ainge is way too smart for that. The Jazz have no path to actually contending for a championship in the 3 years that Donovan has left on his contract, and then he'll bolt. Ainge knows trading Donovan is the best path forward, he's just being patient until the Knicks budge and give him a package he finds acceptable. I will be absolutely stunned if he actually gives up any of the assets acquired in the Gobert trade to put win now players around Donovan.

homeytennis

Re-tooling around Donovan seems like something DL and Zanik would've tried, but I think Ainge is way too smart for that. The Jazz have no path to actually contending for a championship in the 3 years that Donovan has left on his contract, and then he'll bolt. Ainge knows trading Donovan is the best path forward, he's just being patient until the Knicks budge and give him a package he finds acceptable. I will be absolutely stunned if he actually gives up any of the assets acquired in the Gobert trade to put win now players around Donovan.
He doesn't have to. He needs an adequate minimum wage center and he can roll with the current roster. Sure our own draft pick will be crappy but there are expiring contracts next summer and trader Dan can trade DM then for massive loot.

Release the Kraken

Retool around the guy that no one apparently wants to trade for? ;)
That’s not exactly the case. We’re acting like he’s the Greek Freak and he just ain’t all that. And then there are other extenuating circumstances besides - such as the Knicks already signing their undersized point guard in Brunson and the Nets holding out for the ranch with Durant. We’d have a lot clearer path for Mitchell if Durant weren’t in play. Most teams would rather point their draft and personnel capital towards Durant.

And Danny may be our hero but he’s a total ball busting a$$ hole as far as most organizations are concerned. Somebody’s got their panties in a wad cause it’s just been crickets from the Knicks for two weeks.

Last edited:

Release the Kraken

Though I and most others don't believe it's a real possibility, I'm wondering what a serious re-tooling around Donovan could even look like.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly in Tony Jones's reporting about Jazz's choices, one of the options may be to use the three first-rounders the Jazz have in 2023, and perhaps additional assets, to find a serious second option to go along with Donovan. In my imagination I'm thinking of something like a Pascal Siakam-quality player. Problem is, I have a hard time thinking of someone who we'd really want being available for what we have to offer, at least in the near term.

Another option is to just seek competence and better team balance, let Donovan be the clear star and see where that takes you. In trying to think of trades that might be available I'm imagining something like:

• Dok + Conley (and probably modest draft capital -- let's says the worst of-Houston/Philly/Brooklyn 2023 FRP pick) for Poetl (Spurs have lots of cap space so a financially unbalanced trade works, and only one true PG on the roster; they should also not care if they win this year)
  • Clarkson (and probably very modest draft capital -- let's say a 2025 31-40 protected second rounder) for Kuzma (Wiz have logjam at PF and may be worried about whether Johnny Davis can be a rotation player this year after his poor summer league); (or alternatively Beasley for Jonathan Isaac, as the Magic have a logjam at PF and lack of scoring pop at SG -- though I doubt the Magic are selling on Isaac now and I doubt the Jazz want to buy on him now either)
  • NAW (and probably draft capital, since we're dealing with OKC, but hopefully modest -- let's say slightly worsening the protections for the 2024 draft pick we owe [if this is possible; I'm not sure it is]) for Kenrich Williams -- maybe this helps keep SGA happy by sending his cousin there?
  • Beverley for Talent Horton-Tucker (maybe we could pry a 2025 second-rounder back?) -- I think THT still has upside if he can get out from needing to fit alongside LBJ/Russ

That would leave us with (sending out only modest draft capital overall):
PG: DM, Butler, (I'd try to re-sign) Forrest
SG: Beasley, THT, Bolmaro, (Juzang--TW)
SF: Bogey, Fontecchio, Kenrich Williams (Sneed--TW)
PF: Kuzma, Vanderbilt (though he'll probably play at least some center, too), Gay
C: Poetl, Kessler, TBD (probably easy to find a 3rd-string center as a minimum signing)

It wouldn't be great team (probably pretty poor shooting, especially in the depth pieces), but it would bring a bit more youth and length to the Jazz and at least have competence at most line-up spots. Maybe there's a way to coax defensive competence out of it? Could it win 45 games in the West?

Assuming the Jazz somehow really decided to re-tool around Donovan, what do you envision the result looking like?
Although “Retool Around Mitchell” is not the way I choose to see it - I don’t think he wants to be here and there’s still interest out there. I’m just starting to think we don’t get a deal done before the deadline at this point. And if that’s the case we have to showcase him whether we’re winning or losing. But as everybody probably knows by now I’m not a scorched earth tank advocate either - the odds of getting Wemby are so low and even then with the mechanics concerns, he’s one injury away from being the next Greg Oden or Anthony Bennett. So yeah let’s see what this band of misfits can do - we got three first coming regardless where we finish. And yeah, I’m not big on moves requiring any of the draft capital we’ve accrued.

The only move that I’d be interested in would be acquiring Duncan Robinson for Patrick Beverly and NAW. This guy is totally undervalued right now although he’s set numerous shooting records for Miami. Brooklyn has made it clear that they’re not interested in him in a Durant package and the Heat have expressed interest in Beverly. We throw NAW in to clear up some minutes for Bolmero and Butler. It’s a no-brainer IMO.