1. The rules have been updated. Generally, the updates are from an old version of the rules used in 2017 that weren't re-published, language changes from infractions to warnings, and other general clean up.

By using JazzFanz.com with a signed in account, you agree to the terms and rules. These are available in the footer of every page under the Terms and Rules link. If you do not agree with these terms, use the Contact Us link to request an account removal or deactivation. Thank you!

Rudy at range?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by TheStormofWar, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Rudy isn't 245 lbs.

He came in as a rookie at 237.5 with 4.4% body fat. Weight listing are spotty as teams don't always send the information for updates. These sites just run previous numbers back. I'd be pretty shocked if Gobert wasn't playing at 250 lbs this past season, at the lightest. Probably closer to 260.

2. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Rudy with a range, Dante with a handle... oh me oh my...

Here's Dante taking tips about how he can win ROY next year:

Jazz4ever likes this.
  3. silesian

silesian Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    No fundamentals? Awkward?

You joking?

4. silesian

May 30, 2010

I hear Dante has grown an inch in the offseason.

5. KqWIN

KqWIN Active Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Do people really think Rudy looked comfortable guarding the perimeter? It’s as if we didn’t have an entire series where he got torches out there. Two seasons in a row.

Those are very difficult matchups for everyone, not just centers. But Rudy can definitely improve his fundamentals and be more successful than he has.

6. UB

UB 100% certified ****boii Contributor

May 26, 2010
    I like that this thread has devolved into a discussion essentially about the size of Rudy's culo.

7. silesian

May 30, 2010
    No seven footer looks comfortable guarding CP, Harden, Dame, Steph's of the world. Even the best perimeter defending bigs (Capela, Draymond) get burned. Rudy's defensive fundamentals and footwork are elite. If you want the advantages of an elite rim protector, that is the tradeoff.

It's similar to critiquing Donovan for an inability to guard Anthony Davis in the post. Every player has flat spots.

Joe Bagadonuts likes this.
  8. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    He didn't get torched. What are you talking about?

9. Joe Bagadonuts

Joe Bagadonuts Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Of course I would be very happy to see Rudy do better at anything, but the thing you are focusing on is literally one of the least important to me. First, he's not nearly as bad as you claim. Second, teams have a difficult time switching him into a mismatch like that so it really isn't a situation that we have to face that often. I'd be interested in seeing an analysis of opponents fg%, pass off%, drive%, etc. when Rudy is switched into iso on a small player. My guess is that even though he looks awkward out there because of his size, the overall percentages will be ones the team can live with.

fishonjazz and silesian like this.
  10. str8line

str8line Well-Known Member Contributor

Nov 22, 2013

Derriere, sil-vous-plait!

UB likes this.
  11. Hitman

Hitman Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Favors shoots 40% on 2-pointers anywhere outside 3 feet, which constitute about half his shots. In fact, he's one of our best shooters outside 16 feet. OTOH, Rudy rarely shoots outside 3 feet and is one of our worst shooters when he does - he basically doesn't have to be guarded beyond 3 feet. I can't see how Rudy shooting as well as Favors will make our offence worse.

12. jope

jope Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    David Locke often talks about a the “sweet spot” for bigs’ weight and injury. I haven’t listened to Locke in a loony time, but basically something like if too light (I think he’s said < 240) they become fragile. Too heavy (>270) and they inevitably have a foot, back, or knee injury.

I’m not worried about Rudy’s weight, pretty sure he and Derrick are now both firmly in that sweet spot. I want him to keep improving his hands. Keep solidifying his cutting and reading the offense. Defensively he’s the best in the league, not worried.

13. DutchJazzer

DutchJazzer Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    he improved his ft. i bet he scores about 8 3 pointers this year

14. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    The only big who constantly used to overpower other centers was Pekovic and he retired due to ( surprise - chronic foot issues). Rudy is good where he is. He needs to develop mid range jumper and hook/ semi hook shot not extra 10-15 lbs of muscle.

15. Jazz Spazz

Jazz Spazz Inconceivable Staff Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Don't forget about the 4 inches of vert, 15 lbs of lean muscle, and 2 inches of wingspan.

He's yoked and is ready to tear this league up!

16. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    Arsch?

17. DutchJazzer

DutchJazzer Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    the player x needs to muscle up needs to remind me of all the ak post.

geuss most of us where born in 80s and grew up in 80 and 90s where anrold and other muscled specimens where our action heroes. so we asumme nic elooking muscles is where it's at. and yes lebron is an exception.. but if we bulked up ak47 like lebron or rudy. they might as well retire

18. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Tim Duncan actually dropped weight (including some muscle bulk) his last few years to prolong his career. Rudy's weight/strength is fine.

He doesn't need to add a perimeter shot. Work on catching and finishing... free throw shooting... maybe a quick turnaround hook shot when he gets switches from perimeter guys. IDK he's kind of who I think he will be at this point. It's more just sharpening things he's already good at.

19. KqWIN

KqWIN Active Member

Sep 26, 2016
    It certainly makes us worse if he stops doing the things he's great at in favor of something he's terrible. Even if he becomes a 40% shooter mid range shooter that is a bad shot for our offense. The defense should be begging Favors and Rudy to take those shots. Rudy is doing the right thing by rolling hard to the rim every time. Offensively he needs to keep doing what he's been doing and improve his hands, sealing, and maybe add short hooks he can get off quickly. What you don't want to happen is an Drummond/Howard situation where they think they can do a bunch of things that don't actually end up helping the offense.

20. framer

framer Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    If the other team is constantly getting the switch to put Rudy on the perimeter guarding a small, Snyder needs to call a timeout and stop that from happening. That is a scheme issue, not a "Rudy needs to learn to defend point guards" issue.

I mean, it's going to happen once in a while, but I would rather Rudy work on a hook shot if he has the spare time after conditioning and working to maintain the stuff he is All-NBA at.