What's new

The elephant in the room (Rudy Gobert)

I view them quite differently. Deron was serious about winning and became an ******* in that regard. A situation was laid out in passivity by KOC and Greg that led to two guys (him and Jerry) wanting to win but being at an impasse. Deron's ego was about doing things his way to win (a lot of truth in it), while Donovan's ego has been about his brand as some kind of mini-Carmelo. Deron left it on the court. Donovan went all out for being "the guy."

They both became bigger than the team because of their ego. Deron throwing balls at teammates and ignoring his coach, Donovan calling Utah racist and throwing Rudy under the bus. Different but the same. I think they are both good dudes deep down but they both became primadonna's.

Last edited:
They both became bigger than the team because of their ego. Deron throwing balls at teammates and ignoring his coach, Donovan calling Utah racist and throwing Rudy under the bus. Different but the same. I think they are both good dudes deep down but they both became primadonna's.
Deron throwing the ball at Hayward is overblown. It was a moment in time, contrasted with Donovan not putting forth any defensive effort for seasons and over multiple playoffs in conjunction with hero-balling late-game situations when he's on a "historic offense" team that has many, many offensive weapons.

Deron throwing the ball at Hayward is overblown. It was a moment in time, contrasted with Donovan not putting forth any defensive effort for seasons and over multiple playoffs in conjunction with hero-balling late-game situations when he's on a "historic offense" team that has many, many offensive weapons.

I disagree that it was a moment in time. I remember many games where Deron was cancerous. They both became bigger than the team due to their ego's. One quit on his team, the other quit on his coach. Different but the same.

"Sloan told D-Will to give him the courtesy by letting him know he was deviating from his instructions. Williams reportedly said something like, “You have the power, I have the juice.” The two then started yelling at each other across the hallway. Later, Jazz owner Greg Williams joined the two at the back, talking but still yelling."

That team in the last year of Don-Rudy had no soul. Intangibles matter. "I've never had a more depressing year as a sports fan . And I followed the late 1960s Phillies. That was not going to "self heal." It had to be blown up.
I agree it wasn't working - that was very clear - which is why I was a fan of trading one of the two. The issue was between Don and Rudy. There was no reason to trade both of them.

I agree it wasn't working - that was very clear - which is why I was a fan of trading one of the two. The issue was between Don and Rudy. There was no reason to trade both of them.
Once you split the baby you are likely to be in the play-in or first round roadkill range. If they did pick one everyone knows it would have been Don... not sure Don, Mike, Bogey, Kessler is doing much for us.

It was the right move to tear it down to studs... we just didn't cut far enough early in the season. I wish we'd have hit the lotto and then we'd be looking at a shorter stint on the bottom of the cycle. There is still a chance we hold on this season and hit on a top 6-7 pick or hit on a Tyrese Haliburton type trade... but it is looking more likely we go the other direction and endure a 3-4 year process. We have a great chance at coming out of that process with something really good because we will have so many chances with the additional picks we have accumulated.

It sucks that the Don/Rudy era fizzled after having so much promise... it really does. I do think they made the correct decision on pulling the plug though.

Once you split the baby you are likely to be in the play-in or first round roadkill range. If they did pick one everyone knows it would have been Don... not sure Don, Mike, Bogey, Kessler is doing much for us.

It was the right move to tear it down to studs... we just didn't cut far enough early in the season. I wish we'd have hit the lotto and then we'd be looking at a shorter stint on the bottom of the cycle. There is still a chance we hold on this season and hit on a top 6-7 pick or hit on a Tyrese Haliburton type trade... but it is looking more likely we go the other direction and endure a 3-4 year process. We have a great chance at coming out of that process with something really good because we will have so many chances with the additional picks we have accumulated.

It sucks that the Don/Rudy era fizzled after having so much promise... it really does. I do think they made the correct decision on pulling the plug though.
I would like to see Rudy and Lauri together. And there are lots of other options that creates, including keeping Mike so we have a legit PG. I am fine with people saying tearing it down was their preference but acting like we didnt have lots of options that made us a lot better a lot sooner is being blind. IMO this was DA marking his territory like a bear in the woods. He and Ryan had to make it their team which is often not the best or mature way of doing things.

I would like to see Rudy and Lauri together. And there are lots of other options that creates, including keeping Mike so we have a legit PG. I am fine with people saying tearing it down was their preference but acting like we didnt have lots of options that made us a lot better a lot sooner is being blind. IMO this was DA marking his territory like a bear in the woods. He and Ryan had to make it their team which is often not the best or mature way of doing things.
You really think they choose Rudy over Donovan (only way we get Lauri)? It would have been interesting. I think there is some truth to Ryan and DA putting their mark on the team but I think you could tell those guys were done with each other. A change was coming regardless and would likely leave us with one star. Rudy has played well to start the season and I am high on the Wolves BUT it is so early and we saw how he slowed down last year when he wasn’t as healthy.

IDK I just have a hard time with the idea that we could run some iteration of what we had back and get something other than a first round exit at best.

I will bet anyone on here 1,000 dollars that the Wolves don't make the WCF.
I’d have to look it up but I’m assuming you’d get a better return with Vegas (Utah?) odds. In any case, I don’t think anyone would take you up on that because I don’t believe you would (could) pay up. $1k was like your whole summer of lawn mowing.

I love Mike but he didn't materially change the pick last year and we ended up doing really well on it. In a year I doubt Mike is able to continue to help all that much. He also may be out of their price range. It was a calculated risk but not a big mistake imo since we don't have their pick this year. They are in cap hell starting next year and will not likely retain Mike and/or Kyle Anderson. The still have great building blocks and the pick next year is likely in the 20s without a major injury. We ended up getting cornered a bit since LA really wanted Russell over Conley.
The real thing that the Mike pick could hurt our MIN picks is recovering Rudy and KAT value for future adjustment trades (with now that they're good to great, Rudy and Mike are on the wrong side of 30, and KAT still a huge question mark for their playoffs aspirations on both sides of the court), but at the end of the day, they already had longterm control of Edwards, McDaniels and Naz Reid, so If they were to buyout Rudy and trade KAT for whatever crap would they be able to get in return, they problably would have enough to not be bottom 5, possibly not even bottom 10, at least for the 25 pick. And for the 27 (and 29) pick you're banking on Ant being too big a star to wanna stay there

The thing to be really talked about this topic is clearly one

The trade principles of the Rudy deal had a better logic of team construction behind It than the Cavs made for Donovan

The Wolves looked at Rudy thinking "what If we actually give him backline and PoA defenders, and have options If a team wanna screw his offensive value by switching everything"

The Cavs looked at Mitchell and ended up with "you know what, lets repeat Dame and CJ, Mitchell and Conley problems of redundance of offensive skillsets and defensive shortcomings"