What's new

The Honesty of Transgender Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born female and understand my gender to be a girl. That is how I have always felt without anyone having to tell me how I am supposed to feel. I have no concept of what it must feel like to have my brain disagree with my genetics, but just because I do not understand something does not mean it never occurs. I agree with those who have said previously that it hurts none of us to just love and accept and address people in whatever way they understand themselves to be.

I work in law enforcement, and I hear a lot of people in my office make fun (behind their backs) of the transgender people who show up in our office. It makes me sick. When I am drawn into the conversation, I basically express what I said in the previous paragraph. I don't like making fun of what I don't understand.

We had an interesting in-service training class a few months ago. The class was on LGBTQ issues. The instructor was a transgender woman, which I doubt any of us had suspected prior to her telling us. It was a fascinating hour. She had been a correctional officer as a man (with shaved head and full beard), married to a woman and father to two children. She had always felt that she was a girl, but as she believed for many reasons that this was wrong, she went overboard in masculine pursuits. It finally came down to two options - she either needed to accept herself or kill herself. She told her wife and kids, and of course that was difficult. Her wife decided to stay married as she determined she loved the person and not the gender. Her wife now considers herself pansexual, which is a term (as I understand it) that means you are attracted to all genders, including transgender. She still has the same job, her marriage is strong, her kids seem to have adjusted (they were pretty young at the time and probably don't remember her as a man), but of course she lost a lot of family and friends in the process (about 50%, she said).

I asked her about her observations in the difference between how men and women are treated. She said that there has been obvious differences because there is an obvious decline in the power she had as a man, and even on her job she is treated as though she cannot handle the physicality of the job in the same way even though she said she is still as strong as she was before. But she said that what she lost has been more than made up in being able to live the way that she understands herself to be.

Sadly, this class did not seem to change some minds. I heard others later express their distain and disgust for this woman. It's sad.

I don't get when somebody tries to identify as something neither male or female and expects you to know that and call it a "zhe", or whaveter. I am sorry but that is messed up.

English has a standard third-person gender-neutral person-positive pronoun, "they". I have no problem using a singular "they' for people who want a gender-neutral pronoun; I have been trying to work it into my conversation for any person not specifically identified. If someone asked me to use "xe" or something similar, I would probably not make promises regarding a made-up word when we have a viable existing word.

If I go and start proclaiming that I am Napoleon, I would be considered as having some mental issues or disorder.

If it did not prevent you from living functionally and fully, probably not.

Same with "zhem"... if they can't identify as male or female - they have a problem.

Many cultures have had genders neither male nor female historically. You opinion is parochial and based on a limited and restricted perspective.

I do understand that some congenital abnormalities like hermaphrodites happen but aren't they typically get surgeries to remove the parts they do not associate with?

Why do you think people need to have surgeries so you are comfortable with their bodies?

We have a neutral pronoun already. It. Why can't we just use that?

In English, "it" is traditionally used for non-humans or not-yet-humans. In fact, it is occasionally used to de-humanize. When we are happy with a dog we use she/he, when unhappy with the dog, it.

But since we do have a gender neutral pronoun what is wrong with that?

"They" can be, and traditionally has been, used in the singular.

You asked that question as if you think you had a point there.

It was a serious question. I was stating what I understand about the subject to let you know where I'm coming from to help educate myself more on the matter or clear up any confusion.

Another thing I have a question on is your response where you said, "Few enough that it is still discrimination."
Just so we're clear, are you saying that if I wouldn't date a trans female because they are trans then that would be discrimination on my part?

Why do you think people need to have surgeries so you are comfortable with their bodies?

Well it is congenital abnormality. Having functional ovaries and testes in your body is not really healthy. It is done for medical reasons.

It was a serious question. I was stating what I understand about the subject to let you know where I'm coming from to help educate myself more on the matter or clear up any confusion.

OK, so why is "gender was a social construct and different from biological sex" relevant to the notion that heterosexuals date women?

Your response comes in the context of expecting me to sit through and respond to a 3-hour video between a host who has made up their mind on gender before the conversation and a psychiatrist chosen specifically to reinforce the opinion of the host, where you have declined to put forth a section of video that addressed some issue in some interesting way. So, it's hard to believe you are being genuine here.

Another thing I have a question on is your response where you said, "Few enough that it is still discrimination."
Just so we're clear, are you saying that if I wouldn't date a trans female because they are trans then that would be discrimination on my part?

Do you have an alternate word you think is more appropriate?

OK, so why is "gender was a social construct and different from biological sex" relevant to the notion that heterosexuals date women?

Your response comes in the context of expecting me to sit through and respond to a 3-hour video between a host who has made up their mind on gender before the conversation and a psychiatrist chosen specifically to reinforce the opinion of the host, where you have declined to put forth a section of video that addressed some issue in some interesting way. So, it's hard to believe you are being genuine here.

Because I feel heterosexuals want to date someone of the opposite sex.

I never had an expectation for you to sit through the whole video. I posted it because I enjoy listening to Joe Rogan's podcast and it was relevant to the topic at hand and interesting to me. Rogan certainly isn't an expert of many things, but he's capable of engaging in great discussions and is eager to learn new things.

You can question whether I'm being genuine or not. I've already learned more about myself and why I've felt a certain way about a particular subject in this thread. I understand myself more and understand different perspectives as well because of this thread - props to JimLes.

Do you have an alternate word you think is more appropriate?

Biologically straight? Not your cup of tea? Not what you're interested in. I don't think it's appropriate to label it discrimination.

So since gender is a social construct, does it serve any purpose within society? Lots of the discussion here seems to be saying that since it is a social construct it is inherently meaningless, useless, and offensive all at once. Is that how people view the concept?

[cue the "the only purpose is the subjugation of specific genders" responses.....]

In English, "it" is traditionally used for non-humans or not-yet-humans. In fact, it is occasionally used to de-humanize. When we are happy with a dog we use she/he, when unhappy with the dog, it.

"They" can be, and traditionally has been, used in the singular.
So the meaning or use of a word cannot change? Tell that to my grandparents who were quite gay once upon time in the 20's, and life was good before the depression, when the queer happenings of the day caused much strife.

Because I feel heterosexuals want to date someone of the opposite sex.

Dating is a cultural activity.

I never had an expectation for you to sit through the whole video. I posted it because I enjoy listening to Joe Rogan's podcast and it was relevant to the topic at hand and interesting to me. Rogan certainly isn't an expert of many things, but he's capable of engaging in great discussions and is eager to learn new things.

Yet, he chose one of the very few psychologists who would reinforce his notions on gender, rather than challenge them. That argues against his being willing to learn new things.

Biologically straight? Not your cup of tea? Not what you're interested in. I don't think it's appropriate to label it discrimination.

Any time you make a decision according to preference, it is discrimination. Choosing caramel over butterscotch is discriminatory. The question is what the discrimination is based upon, and how legitimate it is.

So the meaning or use of a word cannot change? Tell that to my grandparents who were quite gay once upon time in the 20's, and life was good before the depression, when the queer happenings of the day caused much strife.

Sure,meanings can change. However, why try to force an unneeded change? It's difficult enough getting changes that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.