What's new

The Jazz have acquired the 13th pick and select Donovan Mitchell

Lyles pussed out when it was completely possible to get minutes. He checked out. We don't have time to wait for that ****... If he was a huge upside guy then sure... I think he's a mental midget who is now joining a much more crowded frontcourt. If he doesn't show out he'll be a bust.

Donovan Mitchell and Wade Baldwin seem somewhat similar but is Mitchell a better player and do more than Baldwin in his rookie year? I liked Wade Baldwin last year and Mitchell just seem very similar to him.

Physically very similar, Baldwin is a little bigger actually. Baldwin plays more on the ball, but I don't know if he has the handles to be a full time PG in the NBA. He plays a little stiff and upright (not much shake'n'bake in his game). Also barely jumps on his jumpers - that's not a good trait.
Baldwin's athletic testing was great at the combine, but watching footage of them both Baldwin seems a full tier below Mitchell. A lot of us would have been ok with taking Baldwin last year if we didn't do the trade for Hill. What do you think?

Baldwin has more lead guard skills, and is a better shooter.

Mitchell is much more explosive, and is a better POA (point of attack) defender and probably better off-ball defender as well.

Baldwin was also better at getting to the line, although not better at finishing at the basket.

As probably the boards biggest Baldwin fan, I can comfortably say I like Mitchell better.

So what's worse? Jazz guys named Trey. Or Jazz players from Kentucky.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lyles pussed out when it was completely possible to get minutes. He checked out. We don't have time to wait for that ****... If he was a huge upside guy then sure... I think he's a mental midget who is now joining a much more crowded frontcourt. If he doesn't show out he'll be a bust.

Good post. No team can keep all their picks or players. There's turnover every season. Lyles is extremely athletic. He may yet be a quality player. But it was evident he just didn't connect with Quin and the Jazz system. From Day 1, he didn't want to be in Utah. Didn't want to have to fight for minutes.

Mitchell, Bradley, Goss, Bolomboy, Hill (via trade): all guys who play with energy and have attitude. We're seeing Utah really take on the mentality that Gobert already brings. Jazz are going to be known as the nastiest team in the league. Come to Utah; leave bloodied and bruised.

Wait, Donovan Mitchell's backcourt partner's name at Louisville was Quentin Snider? It was destiny to be coached by Quin Snyder.

Haven't noticed this posted yet. Apologies if it has. Louisville vs. NC State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EREMjcDbQdo

Great game for Mitchell (esp. in first five minutes). Good game for showing what the scouting report says:
- great defense
- good shot when doesn't try to do too much
- iffy PG skills (was the PG this game as Snider was injured), but maybe something that he can develop
- though great run/jump athleticism, not really all that much of a nifty finisher -- lack of one-footed jump really hurts (no way he's Westbrook); decent, but not great moves
- super size aside from height (seemed to make Dennis Smith seem somewhat small in comparison)

https://soundcloud.com/zonesportsnetwork/the-big-show-utah-jazz-29

Dennis Lindsey had a pretty strong statement about the workout Mitchell had with the Jazz - "I'm not a big workout guy, as far as making the big part of the decision on the workout. But he head a tremendous, TREMENDOUS workout. We were all floored. I was going around threatening everybody who was watching - if they said anything [to media], they'd get a ticket out of here".

I had to check out who the workout was against... It turns out Mitchell matched up against Frank Mason, Josh Hart and Devin Robinson. All of them were drafted and he reportedly killed the workout against them.

Not gonna lie, other than the tournament I've never seen this kid play.

Three things I like:

1-while not a great shooter, his 3 point attempts went up and his percentages went up his sophomore year - many times when you go from fresh to soph and you're asked to do more you become a "volume" player (see Hayward, Alec Burks)lots of shots = lots of misses.
2- Late bloomer so it's hard to discern his ceiling (see Gordo and Gobert). Also means he didn't grow up in the "AAU bubble" like most US born players.
3- I think the kid gets it, there is something going on behind his eyeballs. You can tell in interviews that he's not just repeating things that Pitino's staff or his agent told him to say. I think Rudy is gonna love this kid.

Dennis Lindsey had a pretty strong statement about the workout Mitchell had with the Jazz - "I'm not a big workout guy, as far as making the big part of the decision on the workout. But he head a tremendous, TREMENDOUS workout. We were all floored. I was going around threatening everybody who was watching - if they said anything [to media], they'd get a ticket out of here".
Good find. I hadn't heard that.
But he must have killed workouts after that since he shot up the draft boards.

If Utah loses Hayward, it IS a big step backwards. But Lindsey just needs to keep drafting players like Mitchell and Bradley. Not saying either will be Gobert-like finds. But they both have reputations for playing with attitude. Give me that every day. There's a better chance for a player to exceed his draft position when he wants to work hard.

And what still kills me is how excited Mitchell was to end up in Utah. Not just to be drafted...but to play for UTAH! That spontaneous fist pump was amazing. And then he even apologized to Denver for doing that. I'm salivating at the idea of Donovan and Rudy together. Is there any doubt their intensity raises the defensive effort of everyone else?

He only got projected lottery after the combine.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah... He was projected no. 20 before the combine(May 9-14) on DXs mock:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Donovan-Mitchell-84680/mock-draft-history/
And then after the combine measurements on May 11 he made a huge jump to no. 12 and from then on his stock was stable in that 11-12-13 range.

Our workout with him was on May 27th and he was already projected to be a lottery pick for about 2 weeks on DXs mock at that time.

He was already projected in the lottery and way ahead of our range.
Yes, I know. He just kept rising until he looked to be truly out of Utah's range, even via trade. I think that's why Utah brought in Leaf. Lindsey likely thought he could trade 24 & 30 for somewhere in the 15-18 range. To me, that would be a pretty fair trade for both parties.

... Jazz players from Kentucky.

2e351c5c832a4c35bff420b34615dbc3_front.jpg

I had to check out who the workout was against... It turns out Mitchell matched up against Frank Mason, Josh Hart and Devin Robinson. All of them were drafted and he reportedly killed the workout against them.

Haha that's awesome. Going to have to go back and watch the Perrin interview.

Not that this is the right place to post, but the Sixers came out if this draft with Fultz, Pasecniks, Bolden and Lessort. What a haul.