What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Mavs scored 88 points last night lol.
Luka had 30. Hoping they fall apart at some point and Luka wants out and dallas wants to rebuild with some first round picks.

NBA is currently investigating. OKC and Giddey are in "no comments" mode.
The nba investigations are my favorite. They will end up yielding some nonsense result and it will get swept under the rug. He will end up getting the equivalent of losing a second round pick.

I’m not sure anything will happen to Giddey. He will say he didn’t know her age or nothing actually happened between the two. Don’t think the NBA will go into the lengths needed to actually prove those things to be true/false. But as a fan, I would be extremely uncomfortable acting like nothing happened and cheering him on. If he was a nobody, the Thunder just dump him.

I’m not sure anything will happen to Giddey. He will say he didn’t know her age or nothing actually happened between the two. Don’t think the NBA will go into the lengths needed to actually prove those things to be true/false. But as a fan, I would be extremely uncomfortable acting like nothing happened and cheering him on. If he was a nobody, the Thunder just dump him.
Luckily for the Thunder, they were getting ready to move on from Giddey anyway.

I did have the privilege of watching clueless with my daughters a few weeks ago. Alicia silverstone a high schooler who is 15 or 16 (learning to drive) falls in love with her step brother Paul Rudd who is in college. What a weird *** movie plot. I had totally forgotten that was what it was.

I dated a 20 year old when I was 16. We didn't have sex, though, so still seems fine to me.

I can't imagine an NBA player having a sexless relationship, though.

PR wise, the Jazz are probably the team that absolutely cannot take in Giddey

Yeah because their fans faith is based on... oh wait.

"Most of Smith's wives were between the ages of 20 and 40, the essay says, but he married Helen Mar Kimball, a daughter of two close friends, “several months before her 15th birthday.” A footnote says that according to “careful estimates,” Smith had 30 to 40 wives"

I looked up Donovan’s clutch stats and he’s got a usage rate of 47.8%. It’s behind only Trae Young at 48.7% and then two guys who shouldn’t qualify in Troy Brown Jr. and Malaki Branham. Behind him is Santi Aldama and then Jokic at 42.9%. His offensive rating is 92.9.

There's a pretty interesting conversation going on in the bowels of nerdy NBA twitter. The claim is:

Luka Doncic is the most overrated player in the NBA

Pretty crazy right? But there's some statistical backing to this. Here are some of the sparknotes:

- Luka has an extremely poor raw on/off for a supposed elite NBA player
- Luka's team does well when he's off the court and also when he doesn't suit up, which is rejects the narrative that he has no help
- His adjusted +/- is good, but not great
- This is unlike any other "elite" player. Everyone else is great across the board.
- His box score numbers are monstrous which brings up any all-in-one type metrics that uses a box score prior
- There is no player who has a bigger discrepancy between their box score numbers and +/- related numbers
- His stats suggest stat padding
- High assists, but Mavs as a team have less assists and more turnovers with Luka on the court
- High rebounds, but Mavs rebound the same or better without him
- He steals technical free throw attempts and shoots them poorly compared to a normal designated FT taker
- His defense is extremely bad by +/- numbers, but again salvaged by box score component
- This extreme discrepancy between his box score numbers and the +/- metrics is large enough that it breaks models
- This "issue" is verified by very reputable people including those who worked in the NBA for the Mavs

Is Luka just a complete outlier and extremely unlucky compared to any other player we might put him in the tier as.....or is he a FRAUD!?!?!

Clips lost to the jokicless and murrayless wolves tonight. Reggie Jackson and Deandre Jordan owned them lol. Meanwhile Sixers beat LA by 40. Harden really tricked the clips.

There's a pretty interesting conversation going on in the bowels of nerdy NBA twitter. The claim is:

Luka Doncic is the most overrated player in the NBA

Pretty crazy right? But there's some statistical backing to this. Here are some of the sparknotes:

- Luka has an extremely poor raw on/off for a supposed elite NBA player
- Luka's team does well when he's off the court and also when he doesn't suit up, which is rejects the narrative that he has no help
- His adjusted +/- is good, but not great
- This is unlike any other "elite" player. Everyone else is great across the board.
- His box score numbers are monstrous which brings up any all-in-one type metrics that uses a box score prior
- There is no player who has a bigger discrepancy between their box score numbers and +/- related numbers
- His stats suggest stat padding
- High assists, but Mavs as a team have less assists and more turnovers with Luka on the court
- High rebounds, but Mavs rebound the same or better without him
- He steals technical free throw attempts and shoots them poorly compared to a normal designated FT taker
- His defense is extremely bad by +/- numbers, but again salvaged by box score component
- This extreme discrepancy between his box score numbers and the +/- metrics is large enough that it breaks models
- This "issue" is verified by very reputable people including those who worked in the NBA for the Mavs

Is Luka just a complete outlier and extremely unlucky compared to any other player we might put him in the tier as.....or is he a FRAUD!?!?!
I think you are in a bit too deep. Self-creating scorers who play bad defense are the lowest lifeforms in the "basketball by analytics" world where most NBA teams and nerd fans live in.

However two years ago in the series vs Suns where Mavs lost the first 2 games Luka got heavy criticism for his lack of effort on defense being a big reason why they were trailing 0-2, and he stepped it up tremendously. If you go look at the last 5 games of that series (Mavs won those 4-1) you will see a very different Luka from what we see on an average regular season game. And it also showed up in the box: he got 14 steals in those 5 games and was really playing active on defense. He also sealed that series with stellar game 6 and 7 performances.

He can use his size and instincts on both ends, but he just coasts on defense a lot in the regular season just like Murray does. I think he isnt a top 3 player, but he is at least borderline top 5.

For me Luka is a kind of better version from Don. Very talented but very picky when it come to choose the fto do. Top 5 for Luka, Top 10-15 for Don but way below players with the mentality ''plus'' like MJ, Kobe, KD, Steph....

Clips lost to the jokicless and murrayless wolves tonight. Reggie Jackson and Deandre Jordan owned them lol. Meanwhile Sixers beat LA by 40. Harden really tricked the clips.

It's amazing how many times Harden and Westrbrook get traded only to negatively effect the teams they are traded to. Now the Clippers have both on their team and expect different results?

Back