What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

I'm with ya, but that is the dominant way in which teams operate. They do not care about winning 30 vs 25.
I don't think its championship or bust but I think there are "tiers of giving a ****". If you can make the playoffs many teams value that quite a bit. Fans too. If you have been to the playoffs 10 straight years with limited success a play-in game may not be a super exciting thing.

Winning 25 vs 30 though I agree there is no incentive. There is no "do your best and get the most amount of wins" incentive other than playoffs, play-in and the subsequent revenue. The guys do have individual pride and competitiveness but organizationally it is often better to win 25 instead of 30. I do think teams, GMs, and coaches often try to get to those goals and end up just being terrible at it (see Pistons, Detroit and Bulls, Chicago). Maybe 3-5 teams are actually tanking in a given year.

I don't think its championship or bust but I think there are "tiers of giving a ****". If you can make the playoffs many teams value that quite a bit. Fans too. If you have been to the playoffs 10 straight years with limited success a play-in game may not be a super exciting thing.

Winning 25 vs 30 though I agree there is no incentive. There is no "do your best and get the most amount of wins" incentive other than playoffs, play-in and the subsequent revenue. The guys do have individual pride and competitiveness but organizationally it is often better to win 25 instead of 30. I do think teams, GMs, and coaches often try to get to those goals and end up just being terrible at it (see Pistons, Detroit and Bulls, Chicago). Maybe 3-5 teams are actually tanking in a given year.

There’s a range of how serious teams take the regular season, but many contenders don’t seem to care much about the regular season either. I would say there are only a handful of teams who are heavily focused on winning as much as possible during the regular season.

Yeah, there are tiers to this. But most of the tiers don’t care too much about competing hard on a night to night basis. Teams that are doing that are the minority IMO. Most teams are good enough to coast or not good enough that the wins amount to anything.

There’s a range of how serious teams take the regular season, but many contenders don’t seem to care much about the regular season either. I would say there are only a handful of teams who are heavily focused on winning as much as possible during the regular season.

Yeah, there are tiers to this. But most of the tiers don’t care too much about competing hard on a night to night basis. Teams that are doing that are the minority IMO. Most teams are good enough to coast or not good enough that the wins amount to anything.
Do fans care about winning? How are attendance figures for bottom dwellers? Do top dwellers consistently sell out? Viewership?

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

Who knew the Tabernacle Choir Christmas show was so good? Turned on the TV a while ago and haven't changed the channel. Beautiful music(subwoofer needed for organ), singing, speaking(of course a British dude) and production quality. Message is alright, even for a heathen.

Do fans care about winning? How are attendance figures for bottom dwellers? Do top dwellers consistently sell out? Viewership?

Bottom dwellers are bottom dwellers, that's a whole other category. Better question would be if the fans of Boston(for example) care about whether they win 60 or 50 games in the regular season.

Were they singing, "You're Having My Baby"?

Great song. Should be on repeat in every young mormon couple's household.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHWl-ZyRAg

You're havin' my baby
What a lovely way of sayin' how much you love me
Havin' my baby
What a lovely way of sayin' what you're thinkin' of me
I can see it, your face is glowin'
I can see it in your eyes, I'm happy you know it
That you're havin' my baby
You're the woman I love and I love what it's doin' to ya
Havin' my baby
You're a woman in love and I love what's goin' through ya
The need inside you, I see it showin'
Whoa, the seed inside ya, baby, do you feel it growin'?
Are you happy you know it?
That you're havin' my baby
I'm a woman in love and I love what it's doin' to me
Havin' my baby
I'm a woman in love and I love what's goin' through me
Didn't have to keep it
Wouldn't put you through it
You could have swept it from your life
But you wouldn't do it, no, you wouldn't do it
And you're havin' my baby
I'm a woman in love and I love what it's doin' to me
Havin' my baby
Havin' my baby (havin' my baby)
What a lovely way of sayin' how much you love me
Havin' my baby (havin' my baby)
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Paul Anka

Last edited:
Who knew the Tabernacle Choir Christmas show was so good? Turned on the TV a while ago and haven't changed the channel. Beautiful music(subwoofer needed for organ), singing, speaking(of course a British dude) and production quality. Message is alright, even for a heathen.

I've been to several live, and they are great. I might have given up almost all things Mormon, but not the choir christmas show.