What's new

The official "let's impeach Trump" thread

David Frum enumerates the breathtaking extent of Trump's failures....

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEAvV5v--tzpe34BFyYIvKxUqFggEKg0IACoGCAowm_EEMKAiMJXamQY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

i don’t take responsibility at all,” said President Donald Trump in the Rose Garden on March 13. Those words will probably end up as the epitaph of his presidency, the single sentence that sums it all up.....

That the pandemic occurred is not Trump’s fault. The utter unpreparedness of the United States for a pandemic is Trump’s fault. The loss of stockpiled respirators to breakage because the federal government let maintenance contracts lapse in 2018 is Trump’s fault. The failure to store sufficient protective medical gear in the national arsenal is Trump’s fault. That states are bidding against other states for equipment, paying many multiples of the precrisis price for ventilators, is Trump’s fault. Air travelers summoned home and forced to stand for hours in dense airport crowds alongside infected people? That was Trump’s fault too. Ten weeks of insisting that the coronavirus is a harmless flu that would miraculously go away on its own? Trump’s fault again. The refusal of red-state governors to act promptly, the failure to close Florida and Gulf Coast beaches until late March? That fault is more widely shared, but again, responsibility rests with Trump: He could have stopped it, and he did not.

The lying about the coronavirus by hosts on Fox News and conservative talk radio is Trump’s fault: They did it to protect him. The false hope of instant cures and nonexistent vaccines is Trump’s fault, because he told those lies to cover up his failure to act in time. The severity of the economic crisis is Trump’s fault; things would have been less bad if he had acted faster instead of sending out his chief economic adviser and his son Eric to assure Americans that the first stock-market dips were buying opportunities. The firing of a Navy captain for speaking truthfully about the virus’s threat to his crew? Trump’s fault. The fact that so many key government jobs were either empty or filled by mediocrities? Trump’s fault. The insertion of Trump’s arrogant and incompetent son-in-law as commander in chief of the national medical supply chain? Trump’s fault.

Last edited:

Here's a good example of how Trump spins ******** anytime he faces even a slightly tough question. Implying one of his own appointees is releasing reports about hospital testing shortages as a political attack. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be a civil servant in this administration when you know releasing anything that's not sunshine and rainbows is going to put you at risk for this ****.

Well, looks like another IG probably going to have to update their Linkedin profile shortly.

Reactions: Red
Those who bitch and blame politicians and administrations on this virus are those who never lived outside of this country, or privileged to move into this country.

Gawd damn, I hate me some Trump but if you're a simpleton who points fingers and has gone out in the public in the last few weeks then the problem ain't Trump. It's you.

And you mad.

**** Trump.

Here's a good example of how Trump spins ******** anytime he faces even a slightly tough question. Implying one of his own appointees is releasing reports about hospital testing shortages as a political attack. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be a civil servant in this administration when you know releasing anything that's not sunshine and rainbows is going to put you at risk for this ****.

Have you gone out into the public?

The problem ain't Trump, it's all you bitching about Trump or praising him going out in the public.

This **** was know about for a long time. Don't act like you've 100% isolated yourself.

I haven't. I still see my son every Wednesday night and Weekend.

I wonder, if people aren’t taking this seriously, I wonder where they got the idea that this wasn’t a serious illness?

No words.

It's pretty frustrating when a a power grab that went beyond what we think possible in America, because "it can't happen here", was actually a clear possibility from the start, and despite that simply having a clear understanding of his character flaws broadcasted the fact that such a power grab was actually exactly what we should expect from this man if he were elected president, far too many simply failed to see this possibility was very real. Instead, one is labeled a victim of Trump Derangement Syndrome for seeing what was right there for the seeing from the get go.

Next we're likely to have a battle royale over expanded mail ballots in 2020, due to the coronavirus.

Trump today:

https://www.axios.com/trump-coronav...-in-1024d311-0c83-4870-a227-8b5dc9f09d25.html

"Mail ballots are a very dangerous thing for this country, cause they're cheaters. They go and collect them, they're fraudulent in many cases. You gotta vote. And they should have voter ID, by the way, you want to really do it right, you have voter ID," Trump said on Tuesday.

Trump escaping conviction via impeachment was bound to lead to Trump unleashed. And maybe it can, and will, happen here.

Lord-Acton.jpg

Have you gone out into the public?

The problem ain't Trump, it's all you bitching about Trump or praising him going out in the public.

This **** was know about for a long time. Don't act like you've 100% isolated yourself.

I haven't. I still see my son every Wednesday night and Weekend.
This response is very puzzling to me.

To answer your non sequitur though, I've gone to work and home, and only gone out for grocery shopping. I do agree that people not abiding by social distancing is a problem, but disagree that it's the only problem that exists.

It appears as though you are frustrated by people going out in public and have bizzarely chosen to direct that frustration at criticisms of Trump. Just, weird man.

A *must read* thread.

In fact, here it is for you all. It's that important. (Thanks to https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1247711223627603986.html.)

Trump's assault on Inspectors General is late-stage corruption. The canary in the coal mine was the government ethics program, which began engaging with the Trump team long before the election. The general public got it, but too many people in positions of influence missed it. /1
Then, there was the open presidential profiteering and clues that hard-to-prove conflicts of interest were significantly influencing policy. But Republicans in Congress ensured that no one could dig too deeply into those, and they enabled it by refusing to conduct oversight. /2
Next came Trump's tests of the enforceability of laws--a little push against the tent wall here and a big jab against it there, followed by even bigger tests and a growing awareness that many laws don't have teeth or depend upon the executive branch to enforce them. /3
Along the way came the firings of the two most critical law enforcement officials precisely because they permitted investigations of Trump. The Attorney General's firing should have triggered his removal from office. But wild-eyed Senators were hot on the trail of more judges. /4
This emboldened Trump and taught him a lesson. He had come into government unaware that "personnel is policy." Now he both understood that and knew the Senate would let him treat the government like The Apprentice: only the most slavishly obedient appointees would survive. /5
Ordinarily, the game of musical appointees would have concerned members of Congress, particularly as Trump began to find replacements who didn't care about their oaths of office. But those judges continued to excite Republican Senators, and Trump's base made them nervous. /6
Oversight began only after the Democrats took the House. But Trump's hold on the Senate was absolute. We don't know what assurances he received behind the scenes, but we saw even longtime Republican Senators abandon previously espoused principles to protect him in plain sight./7
With that protection, Trump engaged in a previously unthinkable level of resistance to congressional oversight. The collapse of this Constitutional safeguard was a potentially mortal wound. It didn't go down without a fight, the House included "obstruction" in his impeachment. /8
But the Senate has the final say. With one exception, Republican Senators didn't even maintain a pretense of honoring their oaths. They ended the sham impeachment trial quickly. The failure of this second constitutional safeguard, moved the republic into a life-or-death crisis./9
What remained was the hope that whistleblowers and witnesses could still come forward. Maybe the people could demand action—if they knew the facts. But Republicans in Congress and their staffs, aided by fringe media outlets, worked to terrorize a suspected whistleblower. /10
Witnesses faired no better. Even some Senators who had spent their careers professing support for witnesses, gave Trump free rein to retaliate against them too. The stakes became high enough that whistleblowers and witnesses would henceforth think twice about coming forward./11
But Trump wasn't done. The White House began to speak of expanding its purge beyond political appointees to include career Feds, whose due process rights exist to prevent politicians from harnessing them for corrupt aims or, at least, silence any who might report wrongdoing. /12
The head of the Office of Special Counsel, which protects career Feds from political retaliation, remained silent—as did Republican Senators. Whether or not Trump follows through, the mere threat pressures career Feds to put loyalty to Trump above loyalty to the Constitution. /13
Individual government officials may have the moral fiber and ethics to resist the pressure. But the legal safeguards that help the federal workforce as a whole remain loyal to the American people and the rule of law over a rogue politician have been weakened. That's dangerous./14
A last line of defense in this war on ethics and law is the Inspector General community. They're the eyes of the American people, objective investigators traditionally freed to pursue accountability by the safeguard of bipartisan congressional protection./15
But the Trump era is a bad time for safeguards. Trump's eye has turned to the IGs, and Republican Senators have forsaken them—no hearings, no media blitz, only a few meek chirps of mild concern. Even the self-anointed patron saint of IGs, Chuck Grassley, has abandoned them. /16
What began with the fall of the ethics program is entering the end game with the potential fall of the Inspector General community. The government is failing us, safeguards that took two centuries to build have crumbled, and fascism is eyeing this republic like lunch. /17
It's down to the people. There is a chance in November to reclaim this land for democracy and reject fascism. But the obstacles are tremendous. Trump has the advantage of incumbency, decades of Republican voter suppression, and a third branch that increasingly seems political./18
A sign of things to come, the Supreme Court ramped up the voter suppression by sending Wisconsin voters into a war zone in our species' fight against an ancient enemy, disease. A global pandemic has ground America to a halt, complicating the upcoming presidential election. /19
Republican Senators are trotting out their Hillary Clinton playbook, hoping to abuse their authority again and wound Trump's leading political rival by Benghazi-Uranium-One-But-Her-Emailsing him. And they've given Trump their blessing for him to solicit foreign interference. /20
Trump's Attorney General has even opened a special channel for Trump's private attorney to funnel information from abroad to the Justice Department. Fascism is having a hell of a day in America, and things will get much worse before November. /21
All is not lost. The American people are fired up. But it'll be hard and the outcome's uncertain. That's why I want you to understand how big a deal it is that Trump is going after Inspectors General. This is a late-stage move in an authoritarian coup against the rule of law. /22

This is a late-stage move in an authoritarian coup against the rule of law.

Exactly! And what I, and others, have been seeing all along is how difficult it is for people to see what is happening while it is happening. Instead, in hindsight, years after the fact, we get history books analyzing and trying to understand why so many had blinders on, and could not see what was so clear to see on the part of those who did not wear such blinders.

People who understand history are often the ones who most easily see what is happening while it is happening. And such people find themselves feeling powerless to expose and arrest these anti-democratic assaults. It is so naive to think "it can't happen here". America is not immune. One dare not sleepwalk through that portion of the historical narrative that is one's own lifetime. Too many sleepwalkers. It is those very people regarding whom the history books of the future ask: how did they not see? How did they not recognize? How did they do nothing to stop this?

It's all about being awake!! I am so grateful I made history the subject I loved like no other. I am no elitist, just a man who is awake, with no answer on how to truly awaken all the sleepwalkers.

I agree with @colton, we are seeing authoritarianism triumph in America. Divest oneself of the naive belief that "it can't happen here"!

If you don't like Trump, you vote for Biden in November. Not voting for Biden means you're fine with another four years of this.

I'm a moderate by nature and though Biden wasn't my first choice for the D's, I have no doubt he'll surround himself with a young bench who will represent all Americans, not just a select few.