What's new

The Reason Why NFL Ratings Are Declining

I think we’re in agreement here. My point is just that many of the most effective protest were done in such a way that was outside the law. If you are willing to get arrested for your cause it lends legitimacy to it.

Fair enough. That is also a matter of perception. Sometimes protests like that can simply be viewed as extremism and it can make the protest seem less legitimate.

Fair enough. That is also a matter of perception. Sometimes protests like that can simply be viewed as extremism and it can make the protest seem less legitimate.

Oh most definitely, see my point about civil rights era protests upthread. I think at the end of the day protests are all about raising awareness and starting conversations. Sometimes people have to be inconvenienced for that to happen.

I think we’re in agreement here. My point is just that many of the most effective protest were done in such a way that was outside the law. If you are willing to get arrested for your cause it lends legitimacy to it.

Edit: Log beat me to it.

A couple relevant Snopes articles on the NFL stuff. First one is about people claiming the NFL requires player to stand.

https://www.snopes.com/must-nfl-players-stand/

Another one about rule changes with being on the sideline and why players were required to come out for the National Anthem.

https://www.snopes.com/nfl-sideline-anthem/

My take on the first one about requiring players to stand. Even if it is a rule the NFL clearly chooses not to enforce it. That is completely within their right. That's not a new concept. Tons of laws don't get enforced for example.

And fwiw, my dad did a tour in Vietnam (and signed up; he wasn't drafted), and three grandfathers served in WW2 and/or Korea.

And fwiw, my dad did a tour in Vietnam (and signed up; he wasn't drafted), and three grandfathers served in WW2 and/or Korea.

I find it worth something.

I have a gun my great uncle used in WWI as a sniper (30-40 krag). He heavily modified it and used it on over 20 confirmed kills. 5 of which earned him a distinguished service award (I think that was what it was called) as he held down the enemy long enough for another group to retreat (I have to read the citation again, that is the gist of it), which he and his spotter were in a dangerous spot themselves. I have a ton of respect for people who have served our country and put themselves in harm's way to protect our country and its interests.

Dad was drafted into the Army infantry for Vietnam, my grandfather was a WWII combat pilot in Europe and my cousin was a marine in desert storm.

They fought for peoples freedom to do things like kneel at the anthem.

They absolutely should get out of the roads IMO. It’s dangerous to them and to those in the vehicles. Stupid.

As for the rest, they can protest how they want. If they want that to be kneeling for the anthem then right on.

Also anyone that does anything will get criticized for it. That’s hardly exclusive to any one group.

A handful of states have considered bills protecting drivers who hit protestors blocking roads:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/legislation-protects-drivers-injure-protesters/index.html

I first noticed the trend during the Dakota pipeline protests, and measures protecting drivers was discussed in North Dakota. I don't think any of the proposed bills have actually passed, and there has been a backlash since the death of a protester by a vehicle in Charlottesville. I only just realized my own state, Rhode Island, is one of the states where the issue has been discussed...

https://wtop.com/virginia/2017/08/backlash-gop-bills-shield-drivers-hit-protesters/

My Grandfather spent 3 days in the pacific ocean with a life vest that water logged after the first night, his battle ship was sunk by 3 Japanese tornadoes, the USS Helena, main group of survivors banded together floating, another smaller group including my grandfather set out swimming for an island and made it.

The natives found and hid him for over a week from the Japanese who were looking for possible survivors and taking over the islands. He was rescued 13 days later.

Now my uncle, is a screaming eagle from Vietnam with a book published I helped edit; it's mostly why I'm anti-war. Horrible Horrible stuff in that book. Like the vietcong would leave their kills behind to be found hanging from trees with their phallus cut and in their mouths. I'll stop here.

I really don't give a damn about people standing or sitting during the anthem, superficial stuff like that is what is wrong with our hypnotized society

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKMmcHWkEE&list=RDovKMmcHWkEE

They absolutely should get out of the roads IMO. It’s dangerous to them and to those in the vehicles. Stupid.

As for the rest, they can protest how they want. If they want that to be kneeling for the anthem then right on.

Also anyone that does anything will get criticized for it. That’s hardly exclusive to any one group.

Not true. They're blasted by the right for ANY form of protest by the right.

Aside from those boys chaining themselves back up to the cotton plantations, what form of protest for blacks will the right support? Or are we going to completely ignore the racism we see in the elevated rates of white cop killing black person violence and insanely unbalanced incarceration rate created by permeating racism throughout the judicial system? Have you ever googled Jeff Sessions? Try it. It's certainly pretty obvious why he clamped onto Donald's *** faster than Hannity seeing Donnie in a speedo.

Is it just a coincidence that we are seeing skyrocketing rates of hate crimes against Jews, blacks, and muslims right now? Just a coincidence? Or is there a racist element that needs to be addressed here in America that seems to be dismissed by those on the right too busy carrying tiki torches claiming that they "won't be forgotten?"

Last edited:
you mean the ones who call for shooting cops ?? ok

So are you suggesting that the entire legitimacy of the BLM movement and cause should be questioned because of the actions of a handful? Or do you think that the handful of a few people chanting against police should lose their rights? What should the punishment be? You tell me since I'm trying to figure out the point of your post.

I honestly have been upset in past years by the displays of power and military propaganda associated with the NFL

It's even more prevalent when your at the game, every commercial break it's support the troops (support the wars)

I'm anti-war, gun toting hunter and fisherman

People have hard time labeling me and I laugh, I'm a libertarian from the same stock as Thomas Jefferson

I'm anti-violence, but you don't want to get into a fight with me. It's absolute last resort, rarely anything good comes from war despite the good intentions

The man given credit for taking out Custer, Sitting Bull, who united warring Indian Nations to defeat the US cavalry, is quoted as saying all the best warriors were the ones most reluctant to war. And he would know.

The dept of defense invests MILLIONS into propaganda, especially for the NFL. Ever since the Vietnam War debacle, the military has learned the importance of recruitment and propaganda. This investment saw new highs after 9/11, the middle east wars, and consumption of professional sports increased.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...ary-tributes-report-says/stories/201511060140

Prepared by U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Arizona Republicans, the report found that all military branches reported spending $53 million on marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports organizations between 2012 and 2015. More than $10 million of that went to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and Major League Soccer.

A fantastic book on this propaganda comes from Rachel Maddow

https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Unmooring-American-Military-Power/dp/0307460991

A handful of states have considered bills protecting drivers who hit protestors blocking roads:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/legislation-protects-drivers-injure-protesters/index.html

I first noticed the trend during the Dakota pipeline protests, and measures protecting drivers was discussed in North Dakota. I don't think any of the proposed bills have actually passed, and there has been a backlash since the death of a protester by a vehicle in Charlottesville. I only just realized my own state, Rhode Island, is one of the states where the issue has been discussed...

https://wtop.com/virginia/2017/08/backlash-gop-bills-shield-drivers-hit-protesters/

It's no coincidence that these laws have been passed in red states against protesters engaged in a BLM or Native American Indian cause. Any chance Virginia will pass any law against Nazis carrying tiki torches?

My Grandfather spent 3 days in the pacific ocean with a life vest that water logged after the first night, his battle ship was sunk by 3 Japanese tornadoes, the USS Helena, main group of survivors banded together floating, another smaller group including my grandfather set out swimming for an island and made it.

The natives found and hid him for over a week from the Japanese who were looking for possible survivors and taking over the islands. He was rescued 13 days later.

Now my uncle, is a screaming eagle from Vietnam with a book published I helped edit; it's mostly why I'm anti-war. Horrible Horrible stuff in that book. Like the vietcong would leave their kills behind to be found hanging from trees with their phallus cut and in their mouths. I'll stop here.

I really don't give a damn about people standing or sitting during the anthem, superficial stuff like that is what is wrong with our hypnotized society

Let's be honest, the white house is trying to make this an issue because they've failed at all of their major campaign promises. It continues today because Donnie doesn't want to address major issues including the recent scandal in Niger.

• What the hell are we doing in Niger? Or Kenya? Or Nambia? When has Congress authorized this new dark war in Africa? I don't remember any vote on this matter.
  • Why were they stalled at this tribal village? Sounds like the tribal leader we were trying to buy off and train to fight for us was actually backstabbed us. When the **** are we going to learn from this? Vietnam, Cambodia, Argentina, Chile, Panama, Iran, Iraq... The list goes on and on of us wasting time, money, and blood playing god in the world.
  • Why did it take Donnie so long to respond? Is he that distracted?

So instead, Donnie attacks people like Corker and Flake, attacks the Florida Congresswoman, and attacks the NFL to distract us from major issues. It's much easier to prey on racial divides and charge up your racist base than to resolve things like health care, wealth inequality, or racism. "Who knew it was so complicated?"

Sadly, too many right wing sources will defend Donnie to actually touch police brutality and racist incarceration rates. Donald once said that he could shoot someone in broad daylight and people would still support him. Sadly, he was right about 35 percent of this country.

Look back at the debates. Donald never could discuss policy. But he could insult, yell, and distract people long enough that we just moved onto the next question.

That might be a great way to get yourself elected. But it doesn't assist you in governing. He isn't accomplishing any mother ****ing thing other than to further exacerbate racial divides in this country

Riiiiighhhttt...

I’m sure that a few posters on this site are like totally boycotting the leagunbecause or kneeling. Give me a break.

I don't think more than one or two people here said he or she is boycotting. But keep up with your tremendous reading skills and doing what Thriller does best.

I don't think more than one or two people here said he or she is boycotting. But keep up with your tremendous reading skills and doing what Thriller does best.

Oh please. Why sift through page after page of mindless drivel? Especially when a good 1/3rd of the posters are blocked anyway? The mere fact that NFL viewership was already headed down years before Donald’s comment proves my point. So unless you have statistics to prove your view that kneeling is having a significant effect on nfl viewership, I’ll just assume you’ve waved the white flag and are relying on ad hominem attacks... again.

It is actually illegal to conduct a protest or a display of free speech that impedes traffic or hinders other citizens, who are not involved, in doing their work or going about their business. That is mostly the reason why protesters get arrested. You can protest all you want but you cannot shut down a common thoroughfare to do it, that is illegal.

pretty logivally if you understand the difference between freedom and liberty!

freedom is i can do anything i damm well please, other people be damned in this case people who need to go to work!

liberty i can do anything i damn well please without impeding on the liberty of others!