What's new

The rise of dictators

How much is justified if people feel that those coming in are rejecting the culture of those taking them in and supplanting it with their own?

Really just looking for opinions instead of staking that stance for myself.

That's a good question with valid opinions on both sides. But European transplants didn't necessarily instantly assimilate, they maintained their own social norms and institutions(clubs, etc.). But they raised children and assimilation was nearly complete.

Not trying to bring anyone into anything, what he said could describe your personality.

Xi Jinping has quickly become the most powerful Chinese leader in decades. The rise of...

You can lolz about Saudi Arabia until they decide they'd rather play with Russia and China than us. Don't pretend to know the wholesale machinations of the rise of bin Salman.

"I am simply describing a shift in outlook in the mainstream media that does not reflect the sentiments of most every day people. Unless those people who valued integration had suddenly been supplanted by poly-culturalists while I wasn't looking."

Who are you to categorize the sentiments of every-day people? And yes, while you weren't looking the younger generation(calling them poly-culturists is a stretch) who aren't brainwashed by intolerant idiots recognize that anything but acceptance could veer towards intolerance.

You don't know anything about Saudi Arabia. So just stop. You read something about the crack down on the royal family, and now you're acting like some kind of expert.

The rest is just racist drivel. Of course China's role will continue to grow. And anything that provides a counterbalance to Anglo-American hegemony on the world stage is a good thing.

As for how I know, look no further than your follow up post. Even you value integration over cultural diversity, despite your paying lip service to the latter.

You don't know anything about Saudi Arabia. So just stop. You read something about the crack down on the royal family, and now you're acting like some kind of expert.

The rest is just racist drivel. Of course China's role will continue to grow. And anything that provides a counterbalance to Anglo-American hegemony on the world stage is a good thing.

As for how I know, look no further than your follow up post. Even you value integration over cultural diversity, despite your paying lip service to the latter.

Your **** is so wack I don't even know where to begin. But how about you tell me how you came to the conclusion I am for integration over cultural diversity? Not saying I am or not, but how do you come up with this "drivel"?

Last edited:

And you sound a little defensive. Why don't you tell me about your background? Here, lay down on this couch.

I'm beginning to understand your out-of-nowhere attack on me regarding the story I told about my immigrant family. You're an immigrant! And a defensive douchebag.

Your **** is so wack I don't even know where to begin. But how about you tell me how you came to the conclusion I am for integration over cultural diversity? Not saying I do or not, but how do you come up with this "drivel"?

/Yawn

About as interesting as talking to Dutch.

/Yawn

About as interesting as talking to Dutch.

Let's just get this straight. I don't start drama. This is at least the second occasion you've jumped my ****. I will stand up for myself and I'll stand up for others when dudes like you act all high and mighty. Why don't you read through your posts again and think about how you're a douche.

And you sound a little defensive. Why don't you tell me about your background? Here, lay down on this couch.

I'm beginning to understand your out-of-nowhere attack on me regarding the story I told about my immigrant family. You're an immigrant! And a defensive douchebag.

I didn't attack you. I said the thread was a dumpster fire. And it wasn't out of nowhere. It's a public forum, and I'm a member. Don't need permission to comment.

You on the other hand, called me a douche several times.

Not that I mind, but don't act like you have the high ground.

Which kind of nonsense will there be exactly?

For starters you're type won't be asking any questions, I predict it will be a lot of concentrating for you, luckily there will be special camps for you to do it in. In my benevolence I will remove the concept of 'why' from your vocabulary and thinking, because you see the state will do your thinking for you. In my glorious utopia, you will be freed of the fear of thinking for yourself, in fact if you have nothing to hide and more importantly do everything you're told with perfect obedience you will have nothing to fear. Except thought crime, you'll be executed for having the wrong thoughts but you know i'm gonna build a wall...

I didn't attack you. I said the thread was a dumpster fire. And it wasn't out of nowhere. It's a public forum, and I'm a member. Don't need permission to comment.

You on the other hand, called me a douche several times.

Well you kinda are. Truth as an absolute defence and all that.

I doubt any president would balk at the chance to serve multiple terms and have ultimate power. The real question is one of "evilness" for lack of a better term. Does the Donald have the capacity to violate human rights to maintain power as a true dictator does? I don't know. That is a big leap. It is like the leap between threatening to kill someone and actually pulling the trigger. It is not an easy line to cross.

actually everone has that capability! do not underestimate human nature in response to power. history has proven it

For starters you're type won't be asking any questions, I predict it will be a lot of concentrating for you, luckily there will be special camps for you to do it in. In my benevolence I will remove the concept of 'why' from your vocabulary and thinking, because you see the state will do your thinking for you. In my glorious utopia, you will be freed of the fear of thinking for yourself, in fact if you have nothing to hide and more importantly do everything you're told with perfect obedience you will have nothing to fear. Except thought crime, you'll be executed for having the wrong thoughts but you know i'm gonna build a wall...

So basically marriage.

The system of checks and balances built into having three branches of a federal government has checked the power of the Executive branch to this point, in some areas. The immigration ban that Trump wanted, for instance, has been stymied, to some degree, by the Judicial branch. The Legislative branch has stymied Trump's desire to ease up on sanctions against Russia. So those are two areas where Trump's power has been checked. If his power has been checked, then he does not wield absolute power, and cannot be said to be a dictator.

The existence of a Special Council examining whether the President obstructed justice is also proof that Trump does not wield the absolute power associated with a dictator. Otherwise, there would be no Special Council examining the President's campaign's actions during the 2016 campaign for the Presidency, and his actions since being elected, such as firing the director of the FBI.

Now, what happens if Trump fires Mueller? The Executive branch will offer justification for it, and the people will judge whether that justification is valid or not. And that judgement will likely be along partisan lines. It's likely the Executive branch will claim Mueller is exceeding his authority. The opposition will claim Trump is attempting to elevate himself above the law. This will lead to a constitutional crisis. Why? Because if the President is above the law, that alone is trending toward dictatorship. Above the law. Outside the law. It would still not be absolute power, since he would still be up for re-election in 2020. Fire the Special Council, and call off the 2020 elections to remain in power indefinetly, and then you're at least trending toward the type of absolute power we associate with dictatorship.

The man does seem to admire authoritarian rulers. I thought one of the more reprehensible moments in his Presidency was when he spoke to Duterte and told him he was doing a great job battling the drug problem in the Philippines. Since that has taken the form of thousands of extrajudicial murders, Trump was in effect congratulating Duterte for acting outside the law. Not good if one values the rule of law. Expressing admiration for dictatorial powers probably is a disturbing look for a President in the eyes of many Americans.

He has suggested the broadcast license of certain networks should be examined. Again, there are, in his words at least, shades of an admiration and willingness to trend toward authoritarian rule. Calling the press "the enemy of the people" undermines the role of the press as an independent watchdog in a democratic society and democratic system of government. It's not good, and it's a shameful stance to take. A President should not be working to undermine our democratic institutions. And that's the purpose of the Special Council's investigation. Because there is a suspicion that this President, or members of his campaign, undermined the institution of free elections by acting in concert with a foreign entity to tip an election toward one side.

The fact that that investigation is still ongoing is proof, I should think, that we're not in a dictatorship yet. Fire Mueller, however, and the whole problem of the head of the Executive branch being above and outside the law will rear its head, and we will indeed be in a constitutional crisis, as we will need to answer the question of just how much power we grant that Executive branch.

The other day, when he trashed America's intelligence agencies, and seemed to sympathize with Putin's position, even saying he thought Putin felt insulted(give me a break!!), he sounded like a traitor, and I called him one. It's not the look of an innocent man. But, I trust, and hope, that Mueller's investigation, will shed light on that guilt or innocence. As long as Mueller is allowed to proceed, we're not dealing with a President wielding absolute, dictatorial-level power.

The system of checks and balances built into having three branches of a federal government has checked the power of the Executive branch to this point, in some areas. The immigration ban that Trump wanted, for instance, has been stymied, to some degree, by the Judicial branch. The Legislative branch has stymied Trump's desire to ease up on sanctions against Russia. So those are two areas where Trump's power has been checked. If his power has been checked, then he does not wield absolute power, and cannot be said to be a dictator.

The existence of a Special Council examining whether the President obstructed justice is also proof that Trump does not wield the absolute power associated with a dictator. Otherwise, there would be no Special Council examining the President's actions during the 2016 campaign for the Presidency.

Now, what happens if Trump fires Mueller? The Executive branch will offer justification for it, and the people will judge whether that justification is valid or not. And that judgement will likely be along partisan lines. It's likely the Executive branch will claim Mueller is exceeding his authority. The opposition will claim Trump is attempting to elevate himself above the law. This will lead to a constitutional crisis. Why? Because if the President is above the law, that alone is trending toward dictatorship. Above the law. Outside the law. It would still not be absolute power, since he would still be up for re-election in 2020. Fire the Special Council, and call off the 2020 elections to remain in power indefinetly, and then you're at least trending toward the type of absolute power we associate with dictatorship.

The man does seem to admire authoritarian rulers. I thought one of the more reprehensible moments in his Presidency was when he spoke to Duterte and told him he was doing a great job battling the drug problem in the Philippines. Since that has taken the form of thousands of extrajudicial murders, Trump was in effect congratulating Duterte for acting outside the law. Not good if one values the rule of law. Expressing admiration for dictatorial powers probably is a disturbing look for a President in the eyes of many Americans.

He has suggested the broadcast license of certain networks should be examined. Again, there are, in his words at least, shades of an admiration and willingness to trend toward authoritarian rule. Calling the press "the enemy of the people" undermines the role of the press as an independent watchdog in a democratic society and democratic system of government. It's not good, and it's a shameful stance to take. A President should not be working to undermine our democratic institutions. And that's the purpose of the Special Council's investigation. Because there is a suspicion that this President, or members of his campaign, undermined the institution of free elections by acting in concert with a foreign entity to tip an election toward one side.

The fact that that investigation is still ongoing is proof, I should think, that we're not in a dictatorship yet. Fire Mueller, however, and the whole problem of the head of the Executive branch being above and outside the law will rear its head, and we will indeed be in a constitutional crisis, as we will need to answer the question of just how much power we grant that Executive branch.

The other day, when he trashed America's intelligence agencies, and seemed to sympathize with Putin's position, even saying he thought Putin felt insulted(give me a break!!), he sounded like a traitor, and I called him one. It's not the look of an innocent man. But, I trust, and hope, that Mueller's investigation, will shed light on that guilt or innocence. As long as Mueller is allowed to proceed, we're not dealing with a President wielding absolute, dictatorial-level power.

What a pile of tosh. Its not like whatever you choose matters anyway, I can't think of an election in recent memory that offered two candidates that were so unfit for office. Hillary should have run as a bloody Republican anyway she's as crooked as a boxer's nose and stands for absolutely nothing. Trump is a bad joke foisted on the world by the staggering contempt for thought and celebration of ignorance that dominates your society. Football stadiums full of people get murdered every year by guns but you can still buy them in K Mart. Hundreds of thousands of voters die needlessly because they haven't got access to health care when almost all other comparative societies have medicare. Homelessness, illegal wars, corporate welfare, a woman's right to choose, an endless war on your underclass, **** you people are thick, if you haven't worked out that your democracy is broken you will end up drinking the bloody Kool-Aid.

Trump is a bad joke foisted on the world by the staggering contempt for thought and celebration of ignorance that dominates your society.

Well, I kinda doubt you'll ever hear me, of all people, disagree with that. Lol. Jefferson and Madison both emphasized the need to have an educated electorate in order to have our democratic system avoid leaders like Trump. From my perspective, too few Americans were educated in the recognition of a demagogue utilizing fear and anger existent among a significant segment of the electorate, to ascend to power. And I'm well aware of the failings of my civilization anyway. If it were truly up to me, Columbus would have either stayed home or sailed over the edge. I'm not exactly an admirer of this tinsel level civilization, driven by rampaging consumerism, and elevating people who appeal to the baser instincts of people. Seems much closer to the decline and fall then the exceptionalism our uber patriots subscribe to. But, that's just my opinion. The question was whether Trump was a dictator. At least I think that was one of the questions. I addressed it with what I felt were relevant points. I probably should have quoted you in full, actually, since I pretty much agree with you....

Wall street runs your country and mine too. We are nothing but slaves in gilded cages. Trump, Clinton, Charlie Sheen who cares? Nothing will change in any meaningful way. Its depressing, possibly not as depressing as the performance im watching the jazz put in now but its close.

Well, I kinda doubt you'll ever hear me, of all people, disagree with that. Lol. Jefferson and Madison both emphasized the need to have an educated electorate in order to have our democratic system avoid leaders like Trump. From my perspective, too few Americans were educated in the recognition of a demagogue utilizing fear and anger existent among a significant segment of the electorate, to ascend to power. And I'm well aware of the failings of my civilization anyway. If it were truly up to me, Columbus would have either stayed home or sailed over the edge. I'm not exactly an admirer of this tinsel level civilization, driven by rampaging consumerism, and elevating people who appeal to the baser instincts of people. Seems much closer to the decline and fall then the exceptionalism our uber patriots subscribe to. But, that's just my opinion. The question was whether Trump was a dictator. At least I think that was one of the questions. I addressed it with what I felt were relevant points. I probably should have quoted you in full, actually, since I pretty much agree with you....

Trump has penis envy. Dic-tator envy. He wants to be like Putin so bad he can't help but fawn over him. He compliments Duterte on being a cold-blooded killer because he wishes he could be one too. He would love to be a mass murderer. He got a little taste of that blood with his response to the Puerto Rico humanitarian crisis. He is a constitutional crisis in the making, have no doubt.

Trump has penis envy. Dic-tator envy. He wants to be like Putin so bad he can't help but fawn over him. He compliments Duterte on being a cold-blooded killer because he wishes he could be one too. He would love to be a mass murderer. He got a little taste of that blood with his response to the Puerto Rico humanitarian crisis. He is a constitutional crisis in the making, have no doubt.

ok you got me convinced trump is a dictator! good thing you guys have the 2nd amendment! now go defend your liberty against enemies foreign and domestic(dictators)

cant tell if he is serious or trolling

never met a dictator who is for deregulation!

lol, you're going off the rails. Breath and try again.