What's new

Thread for responding to transphobic comments

@Safetydan you'll absolutely looooove this.

Teacher Debra Rosenquist, works at the Terryville Road Elementary School in the Brookhaven-Comsewogue School District, and was named along with the superintendent, Jennifer J. Quinn, and the principal, Annemarie V. Sciove, in a suit filed on Jan. 23.

The suit claims the student, who was assigned female at birth and identifies as female, was targeted by her teacher, Rosenquist, throughout the 2021-2022 school year. Rosenquist began to use a male name and pronouns for the student, the suit says. The plaintiff student and parents' anonymity were maintained in the lawsuit.

"As a result, [the student] became confused as to her gender. Despite knowing about Rosenquist’s conduct…, it took the District, [Superintendent] Quinn, and [Principal] Sciove months to inform [her parents] about it," the suit said.

"Rosenquist pursued her own agenda outside the curriculum, which included persuading her 5th-grade students to try ‘being gay’ or being another gender even when they were not. To further her agenda, Rosenquist read and provided her students graphic books about gender and sexuality which were not on the curriculum," the suit said.

Another lawsuit filing? I never thought you had so much respect for the integrity of lawyers.
Wow, you completely just dismissed his post. Exactly what I have talking about.

An article that goes into detail:

This is what the Florida Law is seeking to prevent. What is the appropriate age that teachers should be able discuss this with students. Obviously 5th graders can be affected by this discussion.

Wow, you completely just dismissed his post. Exactly what I have talking about.
Actually, I dismissed the ability to rely on the accuracy of a lawsuit finding. Do you think that lawsuit filings are a reliable source of information?

An article that goes into detail:
I read an almost identical article in the NY Post before I made my comment.

I know you're a fan of people bringing evidence to the discussion, and I've no doubt you hold your newspaper sources to the same standard. So, it must have been my failure when I could not find one bit of supporting evidence in the DailyMail article (nor in the NY Post article, for that matter). No screenshots of the Instagram page or Facebook page the lawsuit mentions. No paperwork from the school acknowledging the issues that were allegedly acknowledged. The whole article read to me as if it was cribbing from the lawsuit, with no effort at all. That surely could not be true, not with @Bucknutz quoting it. I must have missed some supporting evidence. Could you point out where in the article I can find this supporting evidence?

This is what the Florida Law is seeking to prevent.
Evidence-free lawsuits?

What is the appropriate age that teachers should be able discuss this with students.
I think trans or non-binary people can be appropriate to discuss at any age. My niece and nephew (7 and 8) know I have a non-binary child, and it's not an issue for them.

Obviously 5th graders can be affected by this discussion.
Perhaps the parents misrepresented the wishes of their daughter. You don't know, and neither do I. Do you always judge so hastily?

Actually, I dismissed the ability to rely on the accuracy of a lawsuit finding. Do you think that lawsuit filings are a reliable source of information?
You dismissed the whole story. If you didn't you would have commented on the story or added to it.

Sure, to an extent. This is a persons side of a story. Did you believe Christine Ford when it was just her testimony without any evidence? Oh you did, interesting...
Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 10.27.11 PM.png
You believed her without evidence. Are you going to say the same thing with this story... When you come up with a good reason to believe these parents are lying, I'll agree it's unwarranted?

Did you change your opinion when her story started to fall apart?

And a year later?
Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 10.41.19 PM.png

You still believe it, with still no evidence. Yet you will not believe this story. Interesting.

Also I laughed when I read that you were trying to make fun of Trump about a woman to Scotus remark...

I read an almost identical article in the NY Post before I made my comment.
Yet you didn't post it and comment on it.

I know you're a fan of people bringing evidence to the discussion, and I've no doubt you hold your newspaper sources to the same standard. So, it must have been my failure when I could not find one bit of supporting evidence in the DailyMail article (nor in the NY Post article, for that matter). No screenshots of the Instagram page or Facebook page the lawsuit mentions. No paperwork from the school acknowledging the issues that were allegedly acknowledged. The whole article read to me as if it was cribbing from the lawsuit, with no effort at all. That surely could not be true, not with @Bucknutz quoting it. I must have missed some supporting evidence. Could you point out where in the article I can find this supporting evidence?
You're right, I am a huge fan of evidence. Things they brought up in the article that I find interesting that leads to credibility in my eyes, yet you are correct not direct evidence:

1. Found out about it through District psychologist
2. Parents Open to gender identity
3. Named specific books
4. Meet with Superintendent and Principle

Evidence-free lawsuits?
You don't know this. How do you know the parents do not have evidence? And no, putting students and teachers in these situations. You know what I mean.

I think trans or non-binary people can be appropriate to discuss at any age. My niece and nephew (7 and 8) know I have a non-binary child, and it's not an issue for them.
Good, when its with family or people you trust, absolutely appropriate. I see no issue with that at all. This is an amazing opportunity for you niece and nephew, to know someone deeper and more personal, where they can get an understanding of someone else's life; to know about their successes, struggles or breakthroughs. Awesome personal experience.

BUT, This is a teacher/student relationship and in a public setting. Please tell me why a 3rd grade math teacher should be talking about gender/sex at all with a student. Completely inappropriate. It's extremely easy for a teacher to change topics. As a parent, you really don't know anything about that teacher or their views, desires, wants or needs. They truly are strangers.

How would you feel about a teacher if they pulled your non-binary child in 3rd grade aside a let them know they are "wrong" or have "mental issues" or "devils work" or anything disgusting someone could say to your child about their gender? It's not appropriate. This is a conversation that a parent and teacher has with each other and sets expectations, rules and guidelines to follow. If that teacher can't follow them, find a different one.

Perhaps the parents misrepresented the wishes of their daughter. You don't know, and neither do I.
According to the parents in the article they were open to it "The new revelations shocked the child's parents - who did welcome their pre-teen daughter exploring her identity"

Do you always judge so hastily?
Judging who? The parents or the teacher? I have stated before, I don't know why professionalism has left the teaching profession. Dress code, room personality with flags of teams, politics or religion, sexual topics. I honestly don't know why things have changed so much in 23 years since I left school. Public school graduate and all teachers had a dress code with button down shirts and slacks (jeans 1 Friday a month) or dresses. Rooms only had the subject information, school information / events, and a tv. TV was for announcements or channel 1. The only other time there was something else on the TV was OJ Simpson trial and March Madness. We had sex-ed twice - 6th grade and then in health class in my sophomore year. We had a topic on it for a couple days in psychology.

Maybe I had a stricter public school then most in Ohio.

You dismissed the whole story. If you didn't you would have commented on the story or added to it.
The entire story was a reporting on the contents of the lawsuit filing.

Sure, to an extent. This is a persons side of a story. Did you believe Christine Ford when it was just her testimony without any evidence? Oh you did, interesting...
Testimony is subject to charges of perjury. Lawsuit filings are not.

When you come up with a good reason to believe these parents are lying, I'll agree it's unwarranted?
I have no idea if the parents are lying, the lawyers are exaggerating, or if every word is true. The story reads like fever dreams of transphobic people who hired lawyers to paint the worst possible picture, so I'm skeptical that every word is true.

Did you change your opinion when her story started to fall apart?
I don't recall it fell apart, so much as it was barely to begin with. Details get fuzzy after 25 years. People who are traumatized often forget details of events before or after the trauma, to my understanding.

You still believe it, with still no evidence. Yet you will not believe this story. Interesting.
I believe testimony given under perjury, when Ford has nothing to gain and much to lose by testifying.

Also I laughed when I read that you were trying to make fun of Trump about a woman to Scotus remark...
OK. Glad you had a laugh.

Yet you didn't post it and comment on it.
Nowadays, I don't find lawsuit filings to much worth commenting upon. I've learned there's not of accountability regarding false statements in them.

You're right, I am a huge fan of evidence. Things they brought up in the article that I find interesting that leads to credibility in my eyes, yet you are correct not direct evidence:
These things, to my understanding, were mentioned in the lawsuit and directly verified, either by the NY Post or the Daily Mail.

You don't know this.
Sorry, I was just joking.

BUT, This is a teacher/student relationship and in a public setting. Please tell me why a 3rd grade math teacher should be talking about gender/sex at all with a student. Completely inappropriate.
You'd be surprised what comes up in the classroom. For example, I can see a word problem with a traditionally male and female leading to a discussion, or even more so if the name are "Chris" or "Pat" and the kids want to know if the person is a boy or a girl. Sometimes a student just clicks with a teacher, and they confide in them things they wouldn't tell anyone else.

It's extremely easy for a teacher to change topics.
True, especially if the teacher is mostly interested in protecting themself instead of helping the kids.

As a parent, you really don't know anything about that teacher or their views, desires, wants or needs. They truly are strangers.
You should read that sentence a couple more times to see how paranoid it sounds.

How would you feel about a teacher if they pulled your non-binary child in 3rd grade aside a let them know they are "wrong" or have "mental issues" or "devils work" or anything disgusting someone could say to your child about their gender? It's not appropriate. This is a conversation that a parent and teacher has with each other and sets expectations, rules and guidelines to follow. If that teacher can't follow them, find a different one.
I agree that, if this is what happened, the teacher should be removed from the classroom. I do not believe this happened just because a lawsuit filing says so. It's very bizarre that a teacher would randomly choose a kid to treat in this manner.

Still, your paragraph does not fully accord with this sentence from the article:
Quinn and Sciove admitted that the teacher should have gone to the parents if the child wanted to be called a different name or pronoun - and that the issue 'was not handled properly.'
Did the teacher choose the student, or did the student make a request of the teacher?

According to the parents in the article they were open to it "The new revelations shocked the child's parents - who did welcome their pre-teen daughter exploring her identity"
I don't recall an interview with the parents in the article, just the contents of a lawsuit and an interview with their lawyer.

Judging who? The parents or the teacher? I have stated before, I don't know why professionalism has left the teaching profession. Dress code, room personality with flags of teams, politics or religion, sexual topics. I honestly don't know why things have changed so much in 23 years since I left school. Public school graduate and all teachers had a dress code with button down shirts and slacks (jeans 1 Friday a month) or dresses. Rooms only had the subject information, school information / events, and a tv. TV was for announcements or channel 1. The only other time there was something else on the TV was OJ Simpson trial and March Madness. We had sex-ed twice - 6th grade and then in health class in my sophomore year. We had a topic on it for a couple days in psychology.

Maybe I had a stricter public school then most in Ohio.
Only button-down shirts, no suits and ties? Women in slacks? My, how unprofessional your classroom was. Standards certainly have slipped from when I was in fifth grade (1973). Or, maybe, professionalism is not a matter of clothing.

On the other hand, I agree that politics, religion, and sexual topics has no place on classroom walls (outside immediate pedagogical value). A classroom needs to be a space where everyone feels welcome. Favorite sports teams I'm less concerned about. Even a suit-wearing teacher might have used a Cardinals mug.

View: https://youtu.be/_6sPG7gleOs

Parents using the clinic say Reed is not telling the truth.

This thread makes me sad. One doesn’t have to 100 percent understand or support LGBT issues and causes. I do believe strongly that one can support a LGBT person and show them respect. I have no right to force them to live how I think they should live.

A little bit of empathy would go a long way.

I don’t get how this is a defense? Can anyone tell me?

Eradicate transgenderism? Don’t we all know what that means?

It’s like claiming that one wasn’t calling for mass genocide because they merely called for eradicating mormonism or Judaism, right? If you’re calling for the eradication of transgenderism, what exactly is the logical conclusion here? Why the elimination rhetoric? One can accept that trans people exist without becoming a full time drag performer, right? Like there’s plenty of room for compromise on this issue without having to resort to “eradication” rhetoric, right?

It just feels like many in the right ate desperately searching for a new “Muslim” (going back to the early 2000s) to rally their base against and distract from their refusal/inability to form a popular ideology and agenda.

Last edited:
This seems reasonable and normal. Very small governmenty. Not groomie. Definitely won’t lead to abuse

View: https://twitter.com/davis_hammet/status/1643696444719628289?s=46&t=QT7YFlZ_IlHq81PpZAhKgw

Anyone else remember when a few parents got angry that a girl beat theirs in track so they accused the girl of being a trans athlete and the UHSAA went through the girl’s academic and personal records to check? “Win a race? Show us your penis!” Annnnddddd what happens when the girl is just a great athlete and only looks like a dude? Fantastic! This is going to be so awesome!

Is this really the society we want to live in?

This seems reasonable and normal. Very small governmenty. Not groomie. Definitely won’t lead to abuse

View: https://twitter.com/davis_hammet/status/1643696444719628289?s=46&t=QT7YFlZ_IlHq81PpZAhKgw

Anyone else remember when a few parents got angry that a girl beat theirs in track so they accused the girl of being a trans athlete and the UHSAA went through the girl’s academic and personal records to check? “Win a race? Show us your penis!” Annnnddddd what happens when the girl is just a great athlete and only looks like a dude? Fantastic! This is going to be so awesome!

Pretty messed up how obsessed republicans are with peoples genitals.

A5wHfCC.jpg

Huh. I bet this is because they just want to protect kids. It’s definitely not fascists attacking a minority group that they hate.

Huh. I bet this is because they just want to protect kids. It’s definitely not fascists attacking a minority group that they hate.

Horrible. It should be restricted until 21 at least. There is no way these mutilating drugs and procedures should be less regulated than alcohol. If you can't walk into a Mini Mart to buy beer then you shouldn't be able to buy gender alteration. The general consensus believe the human brain isn't mature until 26 years of age on average. We should be waiting to see what we've got before making irreversible changes. If you want to change your pronouns or cosplay as the opposite gender then you do you. Personally I think it is on the same level as Al Jolson minstrel shows where performers used to put on make-up to appear as what they genetically were not, but whatever.

Below’s story you posted, sounds exactly like protecting kids. Let this person make a decision when they become an adult at 18.
Doesn’t sound like fascists.

We should be waiting to see what we've got before making irreversible changes.
I've always been a straight, white, cis male. Many trans kids are equally sure of their identity at 9 or 15. Why not help them, aside from the desire to ostracize them?

If you want to change your pronouns or cosplay as the opposite gender then you do you.
You are a pretentious ***. Trans people are not cosplaying.

Personally I think it is on the same level as Al Jolson minstrel shows
The purpose of a minstrel show was to make fun of black people and how different they were from white people. Trans people are trying to express their true selves, not denigrate others. Denigrating others is your style.

Below’s story you posted, sounds exactly like protecting kids. Let this person make a decision when they become an adult at 18.
Doesn’t sound like fascists.
How many trans teens do you personally interact with? It's easy to give some arbitrary line when you, personally, have nothing on the line yourself.

What happened to parental rights? I thought some of you believed parents, not the state, knew best. Why do you want nanny government encroaching into family lives?

Or do parental rights only matter when banning books and preventing the history of black people from being taught?

Some ideological consistency would be nice. Right now the right just goes with whatever excites their base the most right now. There’s no underlying ideological principles here.

Last edited: