What's new

Trade Confirmed: Jazz get jack for Bogey

THis upcoming year in the draft. You hope one of Lauri/Sexton can fault themselves into being an All-Star level player. You hope you can sign a borderline all-star guy in UFA that could elevate himself to an all-star in the right situation. Or you trade the future picks for an all-star if one you like becomes available.

That does seem to be the plan, it just doesn't seem like we're giving ourselves a enough good chances.

- If Sexton becomes an all star level player, it's likely a borderline all star.
- Lauri has a long way to go at the NBA level to be an all star
- Our best chance at an all star is the 2023 draft, but we don't seem to be maximizing our probability of landing one
- The only UFA we've signed from another team that has become an all star level player is Boozer, I'm pretty sure in the history of the franchise. It seems like there is a very small chance of that being successful.
- Trading our picks for a star shouldn't happen until we already have at least one, and is dependent on the one you need becoming available.

How did we get a ****ing haul for Donovan then?
Reputation. Inside people will overvalue their own assets (see DL and Exum or Favors or numerous issues) while outside people will undervalue them (see DA and Bojan, and the jury is really still out on the Gobert trade and there’s a very realistic possibility that we traded our #3 franchise player for a handful of picks in the 20s).

This is the kind of thing that happens when the player is over 30 ,wants a bus ticket out immediately ,and makes it known to everyone, he wants out. The fact Ainge was only able to get a player he drafted back in Boston, to agree to play for his tanking team, and agree to not cause a fuss about being traded there, because he would have a potential starting job,should not be surprising.
Where did he say he wanted out? And where’s this idea that when a player wants out you take $0.10 on the dollar? This was the argument on the Kanter trade, that somehow we were beholden to his demands to be traded, we got **** in return, and three months later there were at least two franchises that were willing to give him the max.

No one said he is crying poor but he knows there are plenty of captive customers who are not happy and want out. I know this from firsthand experience dealing with a season ticket rep. Smith blew it on a rebrand and now has a product that lots of loyal fans dont care about. It will be interesting to see what happens next year with ticket prices and season ticket renewals.
That's fine... its part of the cycle... you don't need to cut costs cuz some customers are angry. Even if renewals suck he will be rolling in dough Scrooge McDuck style.

I also think this is a distaste from Ryan and Ainge to fully tank. We are headed straight for the #11 seed in the West with the current roster... we need to be 13th/14th and be totally fine with it.

Where did he say he wanted out? And where’s this idea that when a player wants out you take $0.10 on the dollar? This was the argument on the Kanter trade, that somehow we were beholden to his demands to be traded, we got **** in return, and three months later there were at least two franchises that were willing to give him the max.
you missed the fact he is paid too much and over 30 I guess? everyone knew the minute they traded Rudy that he wanted out

There is also the "we wanted to open up time at the forward spots". Guess what... you sent a player out... took a player in that is a center but will push Vando into some minutes at the 4... so is Lauri playing at the 3... cuz Bogey is better suited for that. We could have waited and done Bogey at the 3, Lauri at the 4 and Vando at the 5.... I bet you KO starts at the 5, Vando at the 4 and Lauri at the 3 now... so did you open up more time at the forward spots?

If Vando can't play the majority of his minutes at the 5 then we should be shopping him... cuz he won't fit unless you have a shooting 5.

you missed the fact he is paid too much and over 30 I guess? everyone knew the minute they traded Rudy that he wanted out
Sir he is still very much playing at a high level and is paid fairly... not only that his contract is expiring.

That's fine... its part of the cycle... you don't need to cut costs cuz some customers are angry. Even if renewals suck he will be rolling in dough Scrooge McDuck style.

I also think this is a distaste from Ryan and Ainge to fully tank. We are headed straight for the #11 seed in the West with the current roster... we need to be 13th/14th and be totally fine with it.

Bet the house on over 24.5 wins.

Just thinking there has to be more trades to come
Thinking Ainge had a couple good trades for Bogey on the table that got pulled
This was all he was left with
Now he has to create another trade or two to get him what he wants

OK who gets whacked that is currently on the roster? I predict that Gay, Butler, Lee and Dok get waived and that Zeller makes the team. This assumes no more trades.

View: https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1573299696335986688

This deal was about $$$$ and the fact that Ainge wants to reunite with one of his old exes.... some serious ********. I am guessing this means Lee gets cut.

Ugh. Proving that I can be talked into just about anything Olynyk is a decent placeholder at Center until Kessler is ready. Hopefully Ainge can be opportunistic with a TPE by the deadline.

They are down to 18 guaranteed contracts at this point not counting the 2 guys they signed for camp deals this week. I'm going to assume Lee gets cut as the Pistons just paid for the Jazz to do so. Stanley Johnson is another vet min guy that would be easy to cut. He was actually out of the league until the Lakers signed him out of desperation mid season.

Going to assume Gay has a good chance of getting bought out. I'd let his agent shop him around to see if any teams have interest in him as a vet min signing.

Clarkson and/or Beasley still have a chance to be traded sometime between now and the start of the season. Jazz still have a glut of guards and there are a few contending teams that could use scoring punch off their bench.

Ugh. Proving that I can be talked into just about anything Olynyk is a decent placeholder at Center until Kessler is ready. Hopefully Ainge can be opportunistic with a TPE by the deadline.

They are down to 18 guaranteed contracts at this point not counting the 2 guys they signed for camp deals this week. I'm going to assume Lee gets cut as the Pistons just paid for the Jazz to do so. Stanley Johnson is another vet min guy that would be easy to cut. He was actually out of the league until the Lakers signed him out of desperation mid season.

Going to assume Gay has a good chance of getting bought out. I'd let his agent shop him around to see if any teams have interest in him as a vet min signing.

Clarkson and/or Beasley still have a chance to be traded sometime between now and the start of the season. Jazz still have a glut of guards and there are a few contending teams that could use scoring punch off their bench.
I think you could trade Stanley Johnson into someone's tpe... don't think we will have to pay him to leave. He also might get claimed if waived so we wouldn't pay his salary.

I think Lee is getting cut for sure. I think Gay would have been bought out earlier... likely hoping to trade him. I think Dok or JB are getting the axe unless we do a consolidation trade.

We have some time to figure it out. I'd want to get a look at Lee in camp and the preseason.

Hopefully Ainge can be opportunistic with a TPE by the deadline.
JUST SAY NO!

Bonus for anyone who can tell us the last time we used a TPE. More bonus points for anyone who can then put this is to a ratio of used vs. unused TPEs. TPEs are the ultimate pacifiers of bad trades. The administration gets credit for “the potential for deals in the future” while never materializing those because, by the time a year rolls around and the TPE expires (it’s never reported, there’s no attention drawn to it), people’s frustrations about the trade have much more dissipated to the point that nobody cares about the TPE going away.

The TPE is kinda like the “waive and stretch” of fan expectation. Get a small amount of disappointment to hit with the initial deal, but minimize that hit with a “they picked up a TPE that will be valuable moving forward and gives lots of flexibility for picking up players at the deadline/draft/whenever.”

JUST SAY NO!

Bonus for anyone who can tell us the last time we used a TPE. More bonus points for anyone who can then put this is to a ratio of used vs. unused TPEs. TPEs are the ultimate pacifiers of bad trades. The administration gets credit for “the potential for deals in the future” while never materializing those because, by the time a year rolls around and the TPE expires (it’s never reported, there’s no attention drawn to it), people’s frustrations about the trade have much more dissipated to the point that nobody cares about the TPE going away.

The TPE is kinda like the “waive and stretch” of fan expectation. Get a small amount of disappointment to hit with the initial deal, but minimize that hit with a “they picked up a TPE that will be valuable moving forward and gives lots of flexibility for picking up players at the deadline/draft/whenever.”
We have like two other tpes that are bigger than the one we just created. I think around the draft there is a small possibility we use one of our tpes but we did not need the one from this deal at all.

TPE is an acronym for Saving Ryan Money.... the S = T, the P = R, the E = M

JUST SAY NO!

We did get Al Jefferson using the TPE we got from trading Boozer to Chicago… you know back in 2010 lolz.

JUST SAY NO!

I'm not counting on it at all but as long as they have salary flexibility I suppose there's always a chance.

No one said that. I just said that every trade is viewed as its own thing, how is that even implying that one trade makes another trade worse?
I didn't say that. I'm implying that everybody seems to despise Ainge for making 1 distasteful trade when he's been wheeling and dealing all offseason making good moves. He makes one trade they dont like and they turn on him. People are making it seem like its the end of the world because we didn't get draft capital back for Bogey.

Not really. We can analyze one transaction and say it's dog water... We don't have to lump it in with other trades we've done.
I guess we're on the outside looking in as to why Ainge did this for now. Hopefully something good comes out of it. Either way I'm okay with it. We've already aligned our team with young pieces that can be viable to our future.