What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I think it's another money saving move by DL cuz Matt Thomas salary is not guaranteed for next season. Just so we don't have to use that second rounder to pick a rookie and pay him.

He has some value for sure... I'll bet we could get a second rounder for him.
I was referring to the value he brings to the team. I don't like the move but he bring something to the table and he won't be nearly as bad defensively as he was with Raptors hectic defense. That is if he ever gets minutes, though.

This move is pretty much equal to the reaction I would give if the Jazz made no moves.

This is why DL drives me a little crazy... its always weird stuff around the edges... I could spend the next 24 hours mapping out how he has some master plan of what he is doing here but there is really no point. We add a guy that won't play (would he even be ahead of Oni in the rotation?) and give up a pick to do it. The guy also does not address a current need.

Its almost like using a 1st on a guy that is your fourth string center... great... he might be talented... he will never see the court doe.

The legend of Georges Niang tells us if you can shoot you will get minutes under Quin, even if you are **** at everything else

Here’s my beef:

We should be doing the buyout market. We don’t have a roster spot now. Unless we’re wanting to waive a developmental guy, which I think we’ll be reluctant to do, then this move comes at the cost of actually putting chips on the table this year.

Who do you waive? Udoka? Not happening. Morgan? They like him. Hughes? Ditto. So, uh, yeah...

Here’s my beef:

We should be doing the buyout market. We don’t have a roster spot now. Unless we’re wanting to waive a developmental guy, which I think we’ll be reluctant to do, then this move comes at the cost of actually putting chips on the table this year.

Who do you waive? Udoka? Not happening. Morgan? They like him. Hughes? Ditto. So, uh, yeah...
They'll cut Morgan for sure if it comes to that. Ersan got in before him for garbage minutes. He's lost his next up rotation minutes.

Here’s my beef:

Can we waive ersan still?

Oni's minutes are the only ones he has a chance of taking, and those are almost non-existent.

Would've rather done nothing.

This might be Niang insurance. I guess it's good to get him in now to get him accustomed to our system if Niang does get a better deal this summer.

Maybe we think he's the next Duncan Robinson.

Thomas feels like a move for next year as we get into the tax filled future, he's on a good contract. It's not a bad value even though we don't need him now.

I think it's another money saving move by DL cuz Matt Thomas salary is not guaranteed for next season. Just so we don't have to use that second rounder to pick a rookie and pay him.
How is this a money saving move when we are in tax hell? They could have used the pick to unload a guaranteed salary, not bring one (even if partially guaranteed)

I guess they want a closer look at him and get his bird rights. To be honest, I have no idea who this guy is.

This might be Niang insurance. I guess it's good to get him in now to get him accustomed to our system if Niang does get a better deal this summer.

Maybe we think he's the next Duncan Robinson.

I don't really see how he can be Niang insurance at his size.

Here’s my beef:

Morgan is our 3rd string center... our second string guy could need some rest... I guess Ersan could play 5 if we needed.

If I was listing our needs for the bench this year:

- Perimeter defense
- a ball handling guard as injury insurance
- Perimeter defense
- Shooting 5
- Perimeter defense
- Someone that can defend on the perimeter
- a smallish shooting guard that is likely a bit of a defensive liability.

Also we may need some perimeter defense.