What's new

Trade deadline discussion

If we can get Smart, I'm all for it. I just don't know how available he actually is.

If Quin wants Schroder, then this could be reworked.

Smart is very available, probably one of the more likely players to be traded in the next year.

If we got Ainge's guy (Smart) and Quin's guy (Schroeder), It would make sense from the "NBA is all about relationships" perspective.

It would give us one more depth piece, but I'm not sure we need that. If we wanted to move on from JC, Dennis+Juancho could also be a BOS deal. Combine it all together and maybe you do Ingles+JC for Smart+Shroeder+Juancho.

Smart is very available, probably one of the more likely players to be traded in the next year.

If we got Ainge's guy (Smart) and Quin's guy (Schroeder), It would make sense from the "NBA is all about relationships" perspective.

It would give us one more depth piece, but I'm not sure we need that. If we wanted to move on from JC, Dennis+Juancho could also be a BOS deal. Combine it all together and maybe you do Ingles+JC for Smart+Shroeder+Juancho.
We won't get Smart and Schroder for Conley. Smart and Hernangomez for Conley maybe

I don't see us trading Conley AND Clarkson

At bare minimum Conley gets you a solid starter, a bench player, and a 1st round pick from a contender.
Which is fine if they address our issues.

Josh Richardson - much needed help at perimeter defense
Grant Williams - is dynamic enough to be a small ball center

Playoff rotation:
Don
Joe (now gets the ball more to run the offense where he excels)
Josh
Royce
Bojan
Williams
Gay
Rudy
Clarkson

Exactly. There wasn't another team out there that wanted Conley especially that badly. Instead of grooming Don as a PG, we completely took the ball out of his hands.

If the trade had been something around Favors and picks, I could rationalize it better. When we gave up Crowder which depleted our "great 3 and D" options, any logical person should have known it was a bad idea.

It wasn't a great deal at the moment. Now that Jae has been a critical starter for two straight Finals teams while Conley has done nothing to elevate us in the playoffs, it's clearly an awful deal.
Conley is the reason this team runs smooth and is integral to the team as helps both Gobert and Mitchell. Jae is a fifth option on offense who toughens up them a bit. He is also the 4th best defender in the starting line-up. This comparison is outlandishly stupid.

Bogey is the dude you gotta trade if you want a piece worth a **** for the following reasons:
-Barnes, Wood, Grant, or Morris are gonna want shots. Having Bogey means there are going to be less shots.
-You’re not getting any of those dudes with Joe, Royce, and/or picks because other teams can beat that.
-The most important thing to address are defense and the main lineup. Trading out JC or Jingles doesn’t solve that, and subbing Royce out for one of these fantasy pieces leaves you with the first problem, and that’s assuming the second problem didn’t exist.

I’m all about landing Marcus Smart, but there is no way in hell the Jazz have the pieces for him AND a worthy main-lineup piece if Bogey (or Conley, or Gobert, or Mitchell) isn’t one of the pieces traded.

Yeah we can do much better than Schroeder or Richardson if we are to trade Conley. Richardson especially, who is no more than a backup at this point of his career.

Conley bashing at this point is some of the stupidest **** on this site at this point. He is the only thing resembling a good PG on this team and when so many are so trigger happy, that really matters a ton. He’s small and old, but at least he also has any defensive chops and puts in consistent effort.

He ain’t the dude to trade mid season if we’re the least bit serious about the postseason. We need more of his attributes, not a drop less.

Bogey is the dude you gotta trade if you want a piece worth a **** for the following reasons:
-Barnes, Wood, Grant, or Morris are gonna want shots. Having Bogey means there are going to be less shots.
-You’re not getting any of those dudes with Joe, Royce, and/or picks because other teams can beat that.
-The most important thing to address are defense and the main lineup. Trading out JC or Jingles doesn’t solve that, and subbing Royce out for one of these fantasy pieces leaves you with the first problem, and that’s assuming the second problem didn’t exist.

I’m all about landing Marcus Smart, but there is no way in hell the Jazz have the pieces for him AND a worthy main-lineup piece if Bogey (or Conley, or Gobert, or Mitchell) isn’t one of the pieces traded.
This is exactly where I'm at. I'd love to trade Clarkson for 4 that can defend and move Bogey to the 6th man role, but I think Bogey has to be included to get anything valuable back and it would still likely include multiple teams.

Bogey has been the guy I circled as a potential trade chip since the summer. He's a good player and having a great season, but that's also why he's the one you have to trade. We're not trading Conley and no one else is going to bring something. Joe potentially has value as an expiring contract, but the Jazz do not look like a team that's looking to add future salary.

Conley is the reason this team runs smooth and is integral to the team as helps both Gobert and Mitchell. Jae is a fifth option on offense who toughens up them a bit. He is also the 4th best defender in the starting line-up. This comparison is outlandishly stupid.
Our record with and without Conley doesn't show that he's integral. That counts for the regular season and the playoffs.

If we are trying to upgrade our roster, we have to trade Clarkson or Conley. Rudy, Don, Bojan (spacing), and Royce (defender) would make for lateral moves. I don't think Clarkson gives us the type return that changes the roster enough. We would lose a bunch losing Conley, but we cannot contend as constructed.

Bogey has been the guy I circled as a potential trade chip since the summer. He's a good player and having a great season, but that's also why he's the one you have to trade. We're not trading Conley and no one else is going to bring something. Joe potentially has value as an expiring contract, but the Jazz do not look like a team that's looking to add future salary.
I just want to add that Bogey has been awesome and there would certainly be nights we wish we wouldn't have traded him. But you can't get something for nothing besides everything else I mentioned.

The players going to the Jazz.

Ask Mavs fans how good Josh Richardson was in the playoffs.

Grant Williams isnt playing over Rudy Gay.
I hate watching Williams play... that alone would make me say no.

Richardson is a guy I liked at one time but he is a wildly inconsistent shooter and would prefer to dribble a lot.

I don't hate a deal centered around Conley for Smart (need a bit more back). But Josh Richardson? Not close.
We've gotta get a guard back that can legitimately run this team's offense + share the ball, hit an open three off the dribble, and provide resistance on defense. I'm pretty sure there is exactly one of those in the league, and that is the dude we'd be trading out. It is really hard for me to see a package that includes Conley going out that is either net-positive, or realistic. But sure, if the haul is right.

Our record with and without Conley doesn't show that he's integral.
If that's the litmus, why in god's name are you so obsessed with throwing shade at Rudy (or rather, "building a team around him" as though that is mutually exclusive to having other great players)? The Jazz don't get to .500 without him.

By that same metric, your boy Donovan ain't ****.

Last edited:
I just want to add that Bogey has been awesome and there would certainly be nights we wish we wouldn't have traded him. But you can't get something for nothing besides everything else I mentioned.
Bogey is one of the guys I'm keeping... dude is a gamer and is able to raise his level of play on both ends at times. Moving him takes away a lot of our upside potential imo. He can also slot in at 14-15 points super efficiently and space the floor so the other guys can cook. I honestly don't think Grant, Barnes, etc. are upgrades really at all. If Bogey was on a **** team he could put up 23-24 pts a night on solid efficiency too.

I also don't think we would get dollar for dollar in a trade.