What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Well I stand corrected, I like Butler, hopefully he works out.
The screw up we made was honestly not taking him #30 (or whoever we wanted). JB being buried on the bench with our small guard conundrum is not that big of an issue if you have him on a 4 year deal. We had no space or exceptions to use so getting a guy in the second meant he was on a two year deal. In that case you really need to pick someone that can get on the floor.

I think he could come in and murder it at Summer League and get some PT, but then again he led all rookies in scoring in the pre-season and Quin was like "nah... sit yo *** down".

I don't think we send Rudy to the Hawks if they're not willing to part with Hunter.

I don’t think we settle for Collins/Capela/16. I think we get Hunter or Huerter added or more picks if we do trade with Atlanta.

Shams reporting that Indiana has had discussions with Atlanta about Capella and Sacramento has discussed John Collins.

The screw up we made was honestly not taking him #30 (or whoever we wanted). JB being buried on the bench with our small guard conundrum is not that big of an issue if you have him on a 4 year deal. We had no space or exceptions to use so getting a guy in the second meant he was on a two year deal. In that case you really need to pick someone that can get on the floor.

I think he could come in and murder it at Summer League and get some PT, but then again he led all rookies in scoring in the pre-season and Quin was like "nah... sit yo *** down".
I am obviously in the minority on this site but I give Quin high marks for developing players and how much he got out of the talent he had. The list of players he took from undervalued, undrafted or 2nd round and created decent role players was above average if not great - more than most coaches I can think of. Niang, Royce, Rudy, Ingles and Forest. Maybe even Neto belongs on the list. I think Q has to get credit for what he did with Hayward and Donny as well. I get the mood around Butler, every team has those guys and most years there is someone on the Jazz that we are sure would be better with more minutes. Butler made sense but I give Quin the benefit of the doubt. I just hope our next coach gets as much out of our guys and as is good at development. I am in the Tony Jones camp that Quin was a great coach. The notion that all he can do is coach PnR is absurd. Flame away.

Jazz out: Gobert
Jazz in: Collins/Hunter/Turner

Hawks out: Collins/Capela/Hunter/16
Hawks in: Gobert

Pacers out: Turner
Pacers in: Capela/16

I seriously doubt the Hawks budge on Hunter...I don't think he's going anywhere.

Minnesota is apparently interested in Capela as well. Such a shocker there is a market for a top-12 ish center.

If the Kings are passing on Ivey and drafting Murray instead I will be completely changing my draft analysis on the two and say Murray will be a bust and Ivey is indeed the next DRose.

6’ 5” are small guards now? You seem a little obsessed to the point of delusional.
Before anyone thinks they are about to dunk on this post:

The league revised official measurements to be a player without shoes which throws all historical context and comparison totally out of wack. Dosonmu and White are 6’ 5” and 6’ 4.75” with shoes, respectively. Michael Jordan is 6’ 6” in shoes and probably closer to 6’ 4.5” without shoes. Hakeem is probably 6’ 9” without shoes.

Because of the change the league has made it requires research on every player to make any apples to apples comparisons. But generally speaking, shave 1.5” to 2” off of every official measurement 10 years ago and earlier.

TLDR; Dosonmu and White are actually big guards.

I am obviously in the minority on this site but I give Quin high marks for developing players and how much he got out of the talent he had. The list of players he took from undervalued, undrafted or 2nd round and created decent role players was above average if not great - more than most coaches I can think of. Niang, Royce, Rudy, Ingles and Forest. Maybe even Neto belongs on the list. I think Q has to get credit for what he did with Hayward and Donny as well. I get the mood around Butler, every team has those guys and most years there is someone on the Jazz that we are sure would be better with more minutes. Butler made sense but I give Quin the benefit of the doubt. I just hope our next coach gets as much out of our guys and as is good at development. I am in the Tony Jones camp that Quin was a great coach. The notion that all he can do is coach PnR is absurd. Flame away.
I'm not sure how much credit Quin gets for the development stuff. I think that falls on assistants primarily. The head coach provides playing opportunities obviously. I'll give him more credit for Gordon, Ingles, and Rudy because we ran more like a development operation back then (3 hour practices). He hasn't been given a lot of clay to mold last few years. None of Oni, Hughes, Morgan, etc. have popped in other places.

I'm not saying he's obviously horrible at it, but the plan going into the season was clear. Use JB to give Mike more rest. JB struggled in the weird 2 minute stints he would get where he'd hang out in the corner (like Oni). He was sent to the doghouse. We eventually just decided Mike could play because he was healthy... but he was healthy because of how we managed him. Quin had a hard time investing in younger guys at the expense of winning more now. Title teams can still invest that playing time in guys. Forrest is a safer option than JB but he's not got the same ceiling. It would be like if Kerr kept Kuminga on the bench because JTA would give them a 3% better chance at winning in a particular night. Grizzlies gifted Zhaire Williams minutes all year and he got better as the season moved along. Its a necessary ingredient for most guys.

JB needed 15-20 minutes a night when Conley was out to find his game and give us a data point in assessing him as a prospect. Quin was too short sighted at times.

The league revised official measurements to be a player without shoes which throws all historical context and comparison totally out of wack. Dosonmu and White are 6’ 5” and 6’ 4.75” with shoes, respectively. Michael Jordan is 6’ 6” in shoes and probably closer to 6’ 4.5” without shoes. Hakeem is probably 6’ 9” without shoes.

Because of the change the league has made it requires research on every player to make any apples to apples comparisons. But generally speaking, shave 1.5” to 2” off of every official measurement 10 years ago and earlier.

I don’t think anyone can dunk on your post. I’m so used to watching small guards that 6’4 seems like a big guard to me let alone 6’5.

One more note: Donovan is not a small guard as he would be considered 6’ 3” not too long ago to go along with a near-7’ wingspan and 220-something pounds. He is not the same size as Conley who is 6’ 1” IN SHOES and 5’ 11” without them and sub-200 pounds.

Donovan’s size is passable for a SG but he shouldn’t be paired with one of the smallest (and oldest) players in the league. Ideally he would be the smallest player in the lineup, and playing him with Dosonmu or White allows that to happen.

I don't think Ainge pulls the trigger unless Hunter is coming back to the Jazz...which is why I don't think a deal gets done and Rudy is likely still with the Jazz next season.

We shall see. I think it’s 50/50 that we trade Rudy. I think it may happen this week. If it doesn’t before then draft I’d bet we don’t trade him.

Jazz out: Gobert
Jazz in: Collins/Hunter/Turner

Hawks out: Collins/Capela/Hunter/16
Hawks in: Gobert

Pacers out: Turner
Pacers in: Capela/16

I don't know how much I truly believe in this kind of roster to contend, but I think it would be very exciting to watch and I'd be very intrigued to see a team around Don+guys on his timeline. If it doesn't work out and Don demands a trade anyways, I still think we are in a strong position with a bunch of twenty somethings available for trade. I think it's important that we get off of Conley/Bogey in any scenario.