What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

That contract has potential to be an absolute albatross. He could be a superstar there though and it might work out... I just don’t think we are desperate enough to go all in.
It would't really be going all in for Utah though. It would have been Favors (who is gone), Hood (who reports are we want to trade), and a first round pick (Detroit got it top 4 protected). So basically the only asset the Jazz would give up of long-term value would be the pick (and the opportunity cost of w/e we would be able to get for Hood/Favors in different trades, which we hopefully see at some point). Jazz would also have had to put Johnson in to makes salaries match.

I could definitely see why Utah would want to do it, but I think the Clippers would be the ones to say no because 1. The Jazz's pick probably won't be as bad as Detroit's and the whole trading a star to a conference opponent thing.

This will help our pursuit of Mirotic... gonna end up being expirings and 2 seconds.

This trade is also a hint at how cap flexibility and first round picks are now valued.

Really interesting stuff
Hopefully. I could see Chicago being stubborn and just holding onto Mirotic, but hopefully he throws a fit.

Still not sold on Mirotic. Wary of the "Rubio-turning-the-corner" thing of being hot for a short time.

Interested in Lou Williams to spread the offense some but he's also an expiring and 30 years old.

Hopefully. I could see Chicago being stubborn and just holding onto Mirotic, but hopefully he throws a fit.

Everything I have heard is that they won’t hold onto him... nick friedell and others have said they’d be shocked. I think they just go all the way until the buzzer to see if they get the offer they want.

It would't really be going all in for Utah though. It would have been Favors (who is gone), Hood (who reports are we want to trade), and a first round pick (Detroit got it top 4 protected). So basically the only asset the Jazz would give up of long-term value would be the pick (and the opportunity cost of w/e we would be able to get for Hood/Favors in different trades, which we hopefully see at some point). Jazz would also have had to put Johnson in to makes salaries match.

I could definitely see why Utah would want to do it, but I think the Clippers would be the ones to say no because 1. The Jazz's pick probably won't be as bad as Detroit's and the whole trading a star to a conference opponent thing.

That salary commitment is an all in move imo. Might not be completely all in for us I guess but for Detroit it is. The other assets are fine to give up imo but the salary and the injury history would be a tough pill to swallow.

They’d want more he’s on a decent contract and is a good player.

Uggh. Harris is kind of in the same boat as Hood/Fournier to me. The only difference being he has enough size to play 4, which just gives him a bit more value. Don't love him though. He had a super hot start to the year and has fallen off considerably since. Think Mirotic is a bit more talented tbh.

Maybe Chicago just doesn't trade Mirotic? I bet Hood gets traded still but i have no clue where or what for

I don't think they want to continue this charade. Three scenarios for Chicago:
i) decline the team option and lose him for nothing this offseason. Jazz get him then.
ii) exercise the option and trade him during the offseason as an expiring. Not sure they would get a 1st or more than now (plus the bad chemistry carrying over)
iii) trade him now with 1.5 years left on his deal. They will hold for a 1st but with every passing day the market shrinks. They could end up accepting two 2nd rounders

I think scenario iii) is more likely. We will know in a few days

Last edited:
Trades the Clippers can still do:

Jordan to Blazers for a pick
Bradley to Cavs for Frye and a pick
Lou to somebody for an asset
Harris for an asset

Clipper fans are probably pretty excited. Go all in on a rebuild.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Uggh. Harris is kind of in the same boat as Hood/Fournier to me. The only difference being he has enough size to play 4, which just gives him a bit more value. Don't love him though. He had a super hot start to the year and has fallen off considerably since. Think Mirotic is a bit more talented tbh.

He has more value than an expiring contract though... which is what I was responding to. I don't think you can get any of those guys just for an expiring deal.

I don't think they want to continue this charade. Three scenarios for Chicago:
i) decline the team option and lose him for nothing this offseason. Jazz get him then.
ii) exercise the option and trade him during the offseason as an expiring. Not sure they would get a 1st or more than now (plus the bad chemistry carrying over)
iii) trade him now with 1.5 years left on his deal. They will hold for a 1st but with every passing day the market shrinks. They could end up accepting two 2nd rounders

I think scenario iii) is more likely. We will know in a few days

Door number four is they trade him and take on bad money for a 1st rounder... Portland would likely send their pick and Harkless or Leonard for Mirotic.

I've said all along they will have to decide on a couple 2nds and expiring money or a first with some bad money.

Door number four is they trade him and take on bad money for a 1st rounder... Portland would likely send their pick and Harkless or Leonard for Mirotic.

I've said all along they will have to decide on a couple 2nds and expiring money or a first with some bad money.
Here’s to hoping Portland swings for DJ.

However, I still say, or as NAOS would say, you say we should trade our top 20 protected this year that conveyed to two seconds if they don’t get pick this year.

Yes, that would be another option. However Chicago has claimed they are not taking any 'non-expiring' contract. Could be posturing (as with the 1st rounder). So then the question becomes what they value more: cap flexibility or a 1st in the 20s. Those Portland contracts are toxic, damn. Maybe Chicago is willing to absorb a contract expiring next year. In 2020? Probably not for only a late 1st

Last edited:
Here’s to hoping Portland swings for DJ.

However, I still say, or as NAOS would say, you say we should trade our top 20 protected this year that conveyed to two seconds if they don’t get pick this year.

Yes... a "fake first"

REALLY would like to see Mirotic come to Utah. Moves really well, and can flat shoot. Shoots too many, but is a better shooter than any current Jazz player from three, especially when not forcing. In the few games I've watched, I actually thought his defense was ok, and he's pretty big. I really think in this offense, Rubio would benefit, but it would absolutely change the game for Rudy, and loosen things up for Mitchell. Utah would make the playoffs with Mirotic, imo, because of his ability to space the floor, and willingness to fire. He shoots alot.

Also, worth noting that Portland traded their 2018 pick to the Cavs so they won't be able to trade theirs in 2017. So no deal there

Yes, that would be another option. However Chicago has claimed they are not taking any 'non-expiring' contract. Could be posturing (as with the 1st rounder). So then the question becomes what they value more: cap flexibility or a 1st in the 20s. Those Portland contracts are toxic, damn. Maybe Chicago is willing to absorb a contract expiring next year. In 2020? Probably not for only a late 1st

They also may hold out for us to receive a first from another team... they get to eat AB's deal if we send a real late first. They end up having their bluff called on one of their two demands.