What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
Read @Tony Jones article this AM... gave it an awesome per usual.

He didn't speculate but I didn't notice mention of Lee or Dok in the guys the Jazz want to develop sections... I assumed Lee is a gonner, but I think Dok gets cut... I think Stanley Johnson gets moved into a TPE but was impressed with how mature he was... if he continues to impress I think they keep him and move on from JB.

TJ didn't say these things... this is me just guessing based on some of the names mentioned.
Yeah, the news that Dok isnt cleared yet for 5 on 5 makes it way more likely he gets cut.

And did he mention anything about Potter? I saw he wasnt listed on the camp roster, but we signed him to a 2-way supposedly?

Yeah, the news that Dok isnt cleared yet for 5 on 5 makes it way more likely he gets cut.

And did he mention anything about Potter? I saw he wasnt listed on the camp roster, but we signed him to a 2-way supposedly?
No... didn't mention Bolmaro either. It was about mixing the young guys and vets... so not really about cuts at all. So Potter being absent is not really surprising.

I assume Bolmaro gets a shot but there is a chance they don't pick up his guarantee for next year. I'm not particularly intrigued but all I have is summer league... they see him everyday obvi.

No... didn't mention Bolmaro either. It was about mixing the young guys and vets... so not really about cuts at all. So Potter being absent is not really surprising.

I assume Bolmaro gets a shot but there is a chance they don't pick up his guarantee for next year. I'm not particularly intrigued but all I have is summer league... they see him everyday obvi.
I think Bolmaro is likely trash. Guys who lack that level of scoring instincts and shooting just generally dont workout in the NBA.

Yeah when you can't shoot or finish the other stuff you do better be effing awesome.
Yeah, like Rubio was a bad shooter, but he had some scoring instincts he could go to if he needed to get a decent shot off. He had that little 15 foot runner and stuff. I dont think Bolmaro can even get his shot off at a high %, much less make it.

Read @Tony Jones article this AM... gave it an awesome per usual.

He didn't speculate but I didn't notice mention of Lee or Dok in the guys the Jazz want to develop sections... I assumed Lee is a gonner, but I think Dok gets cut... I think Stanley Johnson gets moved into a TPE but was impressed with how mature he was... if he continues to impress I think they keep him and move on from JB.

TJ didn't say these things... this is me just guessing based on some of the names mentioned.

With the young guys, it's a question of whether the team wants to give them more of a chance to improve. It's hard to close the book on guys like Butler or Bolmaro when they're 22 and they haven't had much real playing time. If they just aren't NBA-level talents, then that's another thing, but the Jazz tend to give chances to young players that they thought enough of to draft.

With Dok, it's more of a question of whether he fits the archetype that the Jazz want from the center position. He's not a shooter or ball mover, and if you look at the Jazz bringing in guys like Olynyk and even Zeller, it looks like the Jazz may want more versatility from that position. Also, it's pretty clear that he was Dennis Lindsey's idea. Health questions aside, the Jazz could decide that he'll never be more than a backup and he isn't the type of player that Will Hardy wants to give minutes to. In other words, Hardy may prefer to have a player like Stanley Johnson on the roster instead of a throwback big like Dok.

Last edited:
With the young guys, it's a question of whether the team wants to give them more of a chance to improve. It's hard to close the book on guys like Butler or Bolmaro when they're 22 and they haven't had much real playing time. If they just aren't NBA-level talents, then that's another thing, but the Jazz tend to give chances to young players that they thought enough of to draft.

With Dok, it's more of a question of whether he fits the archetype that the Jazz want from the center position. He's not a shooter or ball mover, and if you look at the Jazz bringing in guys like Olynyk and even Zeller, it looks like the Jazz may want more versatility from that position. Also, it's pretty clear that he was Dennis Lindsey's idea. Health questions aside, the Jazz could decide that he'll never be more than a backup and he isn't the type of player that Will Hardy wants to give minutes to.
It's not that hard to close the book when you have a training camp and they look like *** compared to everyone else.

It's not that hard to close the book when you have a training camp and they look like *** compared to everyone else.

Yeah, but if you decide to keep a young player like Butler or Bolmaro, or THT for that matter, you're also projecting what they're going to look like with another year or two to develop. If the guy just doesn't look like an NBA player and can't get anything done on the court, then sure, go ahead and call time of death.

Remember these guys?
Jarrell Brantley
Miye Oni
Justin Wright-Foreman
Rayjon Tucker
Juwan Morgan
Nigel Williams-Goss
Elijah Hughes
Malik Fitts

Maybe one of them (Morgan) is still in the league.

Remember these guys?
Jarrell Brantley
Miye Oni
Justin Wright-Foreman
Rayjon Tucker
Juwan Morgan
Nigel Williams-Goss
Elijah Hughes
Malik Fitts

Maybe one of them (Morgan) is still in the league.
DL is getting this gang back together in Houston.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and here is how I have approached it

These players I think are set on the roster

Conley
Sexton
Clarkson
THT
NAW
Beasley
Fontecchio
Agbaji
Markkenan
Vanderbilt
Kessler
Olynyk

These I think are on the bubble

Saban Lee - I would love to release him and then sign him to the gleague
Butler - I really want to see what he can do but he is on the bubble
Gay - I just want to buy him out or cut him but he needs to go
Balmaro - Man if he could shoot I wouldn't even have him on this list but he can't. Love that he plays defense and is a good passer.
Johnson - I love his intensity and I think it will be important for this team but he is a cut candidate
Azubuike - If he could stay healthy he wouldn't be on this list. I also think he is the reason we are kicking the tires on Zeller

My guess as of today

Lee
Gay
Johnson

There's been precious little mention of Jared Butler or Udoka Azubuike in training camp coverage. Same for Saben Lee. Even Stanley Johnson has gotten more coverage in photos and videos.

There's been precious little mention of Jared Butler or Udoka Azubuike in training camp coverage. Same for Saben Lee. Even Stanley Johnson has gotten more coverage in photos and videos.
I just wonder if the coaching staff has selected players 13 through 18 and let them battle it out for the final spots on the island the rest of preseason. I thought Lee and NAW were sure goners when camp started but both have received praise in articles I've read about camp.

I just wonder if the coaching staff has selected players 13 through 18 and let them battle it out for the final spots on the island the rest of preseason. I thought Lee and NAW were sure goners when camp started but both have received praise in articles I've read about camp.

I've heard nothing at all about Saben Lee. If there's an article you've seen, would you mind posting a link?

The buzz I've heard is:
- NAW playing with confidence and shooting well.
- Beasley being the best shooter.
- Fontecchio scoring the ball in more recent practices.
- Bolmaro shooting well in drills.
- Olynyk being a good facilitator.
- Conley being solid.
- Agbaji showing high-end athleticism.
- Vanderbilt showing length and athleticism on defense.
Jazz content has done a feature on THT and appeared to be doing one on NAW. Locke has also been gassing up NAW a bit.

I really hope Bolmaro makes the team. I think he has a lot of potential, especially if he can become a halfway decent shooter. He has good ballhandling and passing skills for his size, and he seems to be a solid defender.

Last edited:
I've heard nothing at all about Saben Lee. If there's an article you've seen, would you mind posting a link?

The buzz I've heard is:
- NAW playing with confidence and shooting well.
- Beasley being the best shooter.
- Fontecchio scoring the ball in more recent practices.
- Bolmaro shooting well in drills.
- Olynyk being a good facilitator.
- Conley being solid.
- Agbaji showing high-end athleticism.
- Vanderbilt showing length and athleticism on defense.
Jazz content has done a feature on THT and appeared to be doing one on NAW. Locke has also been gassing up NAW a bit.
I can't find it at the moment but will keep looking. It stated that he was happy to be in Utah, he was looking forward to playing time and a new start, talked about his impressive GLeague stats and that he and Trent Forrest are cousins.