What's new

Who Makes the Jazz better?

heathmc

Hey fellas. Hope this doesn't go down as to dumb of a thread but I was thinking who can they bring in that would be a starter and make an impact? I really think they Jazz will be able to sign a low top to second tear star with what they are doing in Utah right.

Gobert.... Has played like a superstar and will be in the All Star game soon enough. Cant get better there. Can add depth here especially if Favors leaves.

Favors.... Not sure he will be back but if he is Favors has played well this season. Jonas and Jae backing him up and Jae is capable of playing the 4 if needed. Anybody available that can play Jazz ball and make them better?

Ingles.... Outplaying his contract. Another spot that could be upgraded and bring Joe off the bench. I'm a huge Joe Ingles fan but I guess this and the spot I see making the biggest difference but again who do they bring in? Crowder is very capable of playing the 3 also. And O'neal has been a surprise.

Mitchell.... This is locked down. Will be an all star soon enough. Not only loved by Jazz fans but fans of every team compliment him. Need depth here IMO.

Rubio.... Playing and shooting out of his mind at the moment. Plays Jazz ball and I enjoy watching him. Also has Exum backing him up who has impressed the last few games but is injury prone until proven different.

So my question is who makes them better and who do you want to see in Utah? I really enjoy watching the NBA but dont have the time to follow every free agent and trade/salary option. Thanks!

We should aim for a high level free agent or nothing. Either an all-star or player the Jazz think will become an all-star soon.
This ^^^ and only this.

If you can’t get that player, bring back Favors and Exum. . . and clear the deck for 2019 or 2020. It will happen at some point as long as the Jazz preserve financial flexibility.

Disagree with the idea of bringing Ingles off the bench. He has been excellent as a starter: low usage, unselfish player who can play off the ball/create for others. Sure, he can play fewer minutes but I love him as a starter.

We should add scoring from the bench and a playmaking PF. Tyreke as suggested could be an option. Mirotic would be an upgrade over Jerebko, although NO Mirotic has been chucking 3s at an alarming rate (30% on 6 attempts). We can also target some of the RFA such as Jabari, although I don't know how we would create the necessary cap space

#1 Mitchell
#2 Gobert
#3 Ingles
#4 Rubio
#5 Favors

The top 3 aren't going anywhere. I could see Rubio sticking around long term but I could also see him leave after next season. Favors is a good player and Jazzman, but I feel the postseason will show us we need more guys like Ingles and Crowder next to Gobert than a guy like Favors.

As for big additions, I just don't see one this summer. Burks has a terribly big expiring and Rubio won't get us equal value in return because he is an expiring. Our pick would be in the bottom half of the draft.

I could see us trading down in the draft if somebody like Atlanta (with tons of cap space) takes Burks' expiring and gives us back a late first. Something like #19 and Burks for #28 (they have a few late firsts). We would do that if we really wanted to keep Favors or wanted to pursue somebody else.

Our biggest signing of 2018 will be resigning Exum to a long term deal

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
What I really want is ABs contract off the books....
I'd rather wait one more year for him to be a free agent then take on some other contract or lose an asset to do it
We should aim for a high level free agent or nothing. Either an all-star or player the Jazz think will become an all-star soon.
No we don't need to waste our time reaching for some high level ignoramus that will mess with chemistry and make us worse. I'd rather look for guys that can fill a bench scoring role and a shooter that can take over for Ingles when he starts slowing down in a few years, someone Our coaching staff can mold.
Disagree with the idea of bringing Ingles off the bench. He has been excellent as a starter: low usage, unselfish player who can play off the ball/create for others. Sure, he can play fewer minutes but I love him as a starter.

We should add scoring from the bench and a playmaking PF. Tyreke as suggested could be an option. Mirotic would be an upgrade over Jerebko, although NO Mirotic has been chucking 3s at an alarming rate (30% on 6 attempts). We can also target some of the RFA such as Jabari, although I don't know how we would create the necessary cap space

I liked then unliked as I read to the end. We don't need to go anywhere near Jabari. That would be the jazz looking for disaster.

I keep saying it, but save for the 2019 offseason. I could name 8-10 guys off the top of my head I like better than anyone this offseason except for Paul George. Butler, Thompson, Kawhi, Irving, Love, Tobias Harris, Demarre Carroll, Mirotic, Milsap. Sign some lower level guys to 1 year deals, or make a trade for someone with 1 year left, but don't invest in anything this offseason unless its a homerun like Paul George.

I have my rose colored glasses on I guess. I don’t want anything to change this off season. Seriously, look at our record since we’ve got everybody back. They are super fun to watch and playing very well. Keep our draft pick and see if dL can find another gem. I would be content with resigning our guys and calling it a summer.

#1 Mitchell
#2 Gobert
#3 Ingles
#4 Rubio
#5 Favors

The top 3 aren't going anywhere. I could see Rubio sticking around long term but I could also see him leave after next season. Favors is a good player and Jazzman, but I feel the postseason will show us we need more guys like Ingles and Crowder next to Gobert than a guy like Favors.

As for big additions, I just don't see one this summer. Burks has a terribly big expiring and Rubio won't get us equal value in return because he is an expiring. Our pick would be in the bottom half of the draft.

I could see us trading down in the draft if somebody like Atlanta (with tons of cap space) takes Burks' expiring and gives us back a late first. Something like #19 and Burks for #28 (they have a few late firsts). We would do that if we really wanted to keep Favors or wanted to pursue somebody else.

Our biggest signing of 2018 will be resigning Exum to a long term deal

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm not really sure Ricky bolts. He's got a groove here as a starting PG on a good team that's in ascension with a fan base that adores him. A lot depends on Exum, but I think as long as the Jazz treat him right, he's happy to stay here. Favors I'm more concerned about as I wonder just how much cash a desperate team will throw at him for his skills and personality. But I would understand if he left, but I hope like hell he doesn't.

I'm liking Kyle Anderson if he can develop a 3 point shot; which I believe he can being he showed range at UCLA.

Though I doubt SAS lets him go unless he gets a ridiculous RFA offer.

Last edited:
If the Jazz decide to keep space for 2019 available, I really want DeMarre Carroll back for one year off the bench. I’m hoping for a pre-draft trade with the Nets to go get him.

Trading Carroll for Burks (plus a future 2nd round pick or two) saves the Nets an extra $4 million dollars before free agency, while giving them another asset for a guy they picked up in a salary dump. Plus there’s a chance that a change of scenery and an opportunity will let Burks perform better (and possibly get flipped at the deadline for yet another asset.)

The Jazz would get a guy who would immediately fit the culture and has a good history with Quin Snyder. He’s a solid defender and would provide a boost to the bench scoring without having to be a black hole. It also doesn’t mess up any future plans financially. He’s on an expiring contract, but could also be flipped as part of a bigger deal if a star player comes available before the trade deadline.

Gobert - Favors - Jingles - Mitchell - Rubio

Udoh - Jerebko/Sefalosha - Crowder - Carroll - O’Neale - Exum

I have my rose colored glasses on I guess. I don’t want anything to change this off season. Seriously, look at our record since we’ve got everybody back. They are super fun to watch and playing very well. Keep our draft pick and see if dL can find another gem. I would be content with resigning our guys and calling it a summer.
#BakeTheCake