What's new

Who Makes the Jazz better?

I get what you’re saying, and I don’t necessarily disagree with you. . . but how many guys in the whole league fit that description? Who can the Jazz realistically get that will upgrade the PF spot over Favors?

I'm not saying it's easy. The Jazz are a deserving 3 or 4 seed in the West and a top 6 or 7 team in the league. To take another step requires a precise move or two. Maybe the opportunity never presents itself and it doesn't happen. To be a contender by today's standards, the Jazz probably need to add a third All Star.

To answer your question--KD, AD, Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron, and a few others with potential like Jonathan Issac, Aaron Gordon, Lauri Markkanen, an improved version of Dwight Powell, etc.

There are several guys in this upcoming draft-- Porter Jr., Bagley, Jackson Jr., maybe Carter. Jontay Porter is a sleeper and might be attainable.

Last edited:
Mirotic with 31 points and 16 rebounds last night (5-11 from 3)

It seems like people have soured pretty strongly on Jabari, but I'm still curious to see if the Jazz make any kind of a play in that direction. Everything I've read in the last couple weeks suggests the Bucks are not overly invested in keeping him around, which makes me wonder if there's an avenue for a sign and trade deal allowing the Jazz to still keep Exum/avoid the cap hold gymnastics required to post a big offer sheet.

If there ends up being a way to bring in Jabari that doesn't require gutting the team to clear space, I think he still might be worth a swing.

It seems like people have soured pretty strongly on Jabari, but I'm still curious to see if the Jazz make any kind of a play in that direction. Everything I've read in the last couple weeks suggests the Bucks are not overly invested in keeping him around, which makes me wonder if there's an avenue for a sign and trade deal allowing the Jazz to still keep Exum/avoid the cap hold gymnastics required to post a big offer sheet.

If there ends up being a way to bring in Jabari that doesn't require gutting the team to clear space, I think he still might be worth a swing.

Might be. He certainly fits the need, crafty offensive stretch-4. However his defense is worse than Kanter and his attitude/work-ethic might not fit our group. Each year he had the 60th or so DRPM among all PFs which is rock bottom.

I think Niko still stands as the largest bang-for-buck. Imagine the amount of wide open threes he’d get in our system, and how much that would open the floor for Donovan and even Crowder cuts. I think he’s also probably the best defender of the guys we talk about except Gordon (though I’ll be honest I don’t know much about Gordon’s defense other than presuming he’s more athletic). Niko is a better rebounder than all of them, which is what we’ve seen be somewhat of a weakness in putting Crowder at the 4.

I think the Jazz are going to have at least a discussion about Julius Randle and maybe Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker.

I think Niko still stands as the largest bang-for-buck. Imagine the amount of wide open threes he’d get in our system, and how much that would open the floor for Donovan and even Crowder cuts. I think he’s also probably the best defender of the guys we talk about except Gordon (though I’ll be honest I don’t know much about Gordon’s defense other than presuming he’s more athletic). Niko is a better rebounder than all of them, which is what we’ve seen be somewhat of a weakness in putting Crowder at the 4.

Niko is a non-defender. He's basically a poor man's Kevin Love. There's a reason the Jazz didn't offer a 1st-rd pick for him.

Niko is a non-defender. He's basically a poor man's Kevin Love. There's a reason the Jazz didn't offer a 1st-rd pick for him.
I think he’s a better defender than Love, but nowhere near the rebounder Love is. There is, or at least was, some advanced stat floating around about Niko being bad in the pick-and-roll.

Niko FTW.

Yep

Niko last night: 9-15 for 21 points and 15 rebounds
I think that he’s integrated himself into the fabric of the team so that he won’t get traded.

Might be better to moneyball things by keeping Niko and using the money saved by NOT extending Cousins to add a different (cheaper) center and shore up the wing spots.

I think he’s a better defender than Love, but nowhere near the rebounder Love is. There is, or at least was, some advanced stat floating around about Niko being bad in the pick-and-roll.

Niko FTW.
Niko's rebounding has actually been getting better and love's has been getting worse. Niko is at a career high 10.2 rebounds per game per 36. Kevin love is having his 3rd worst rebounding year of his 10 year career at 11.9 per 36.

This season they play almost the same amount of minutes per game (28/29) and Niko averages 8.2 rebounds and Love 9.3.

Niko is also always in the 80's on his free throw percentage.

I think we need a player like Jaylen Brown on the squad. The prototypical SMALL FORWARD. Mitchell is an undersized combo guard. Crowder is a little undersized to be that guy. Hood was the prototypical Pippen to Mitchell's Jordan, but he was going to come at a price we weren't willing to pay and he wasn't meshing well with Mitchell to date.

So, my feel is that we are looking for a 3. If the right fit isn't available according to statistics and free agency then expect the Jazz to draft another player with length who they think they can mold into that guy. Mikal may fit the bill.
You give Hood way too much credit

Sent from my ASUS_X018D using JazzFanz mobile app