What's new

Who Makes the Jazz better?

Enjoying following these comments guys. Thanks. Gives me a lot to think about. I also think it takes a certain player to play for the Jazz. They are all unselfish and supportive of the Jazz culture which is get it to the open guy and play tough D.

Disagree with the idea of bringing Ingles off the bench. He has been excellent as a starter: low usage, unselfish player who can play off the ball/create for others. Sure, he can play fewer minutes but I love him as a starter.

We should add scoring from the bench and a playmaking PF. Tyreke as suggested could be an option. Mirotic would be an upgrade over Jerebko, although NO Mirotic has been chucking 3s at an alarming rate (30% on 6 attempts). We can also target some of the RFA such as Jabari, although I don't know how we would create the necessary cap space
I don't get everybody thinking you can just upgrade Joe Ingles. He's in the top 10 in the NBA at SF right now. Literally will cost 20+M a year to upgrade that spot and there aren't many players out there that I'd even want instead.

The team could use some scoring punch off of the bench. But I'm not even sure how much of a need that is with Exum, Crowder, Jonas and O'neal there. Maybe upgrade O'neal and Jonas?

I'm not seeing the Mirotic love. I'd rather have both Jae and Favors.

I don't get everybody thinking you can just upgrade Joe Ingles. He's in the top 10 in the NBA at SF right now. Literally will cost 20+M a year to upgrade that spot and there aren't many players out there that I'd even want instead.

The team could use some scoring punch off of the bench. But I'm not even sure how much of a need that is with Exum, Crowder, Jonas and O'neal there. Maybe upgrade O'neal and Jonas?

I'm not seeing the Mirotic love. I'd rather have both Jae and Favors.
A.) Upgrading Jingles means brining in an All Star caliber wing. PG13, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard or Klay Thompson. I could be talked into Otto Porter as well. . . but I’m less bullish on that one.

B.) In that instance, moving Jingles immediately upgrades both the starting lineup and the bench. If you get a chance to get one of those guys. . . I think you have to take it.

C.) Mirotic isn’t a starter IMO. He’s a younger, potentially better version of Jerebko. It would almost certainly cost Utah keeping Jerebko and Sefalosha, but I could see them making that call if the opportunity to acquire him comes up. I don’t think he impacts Favors or Crowder if they add him. Just vastly different roles.

We should aim for a high level free agent or nothing. Either an all-star or player the Jazz think will become an all-star soon.

I'd rep but Metallica said it best.

So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trust in who we are
And nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way
Game is ours, we play it our way
All these words, I don't just say
And nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new

Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters

I still think the Jazz are going to figure out some sort of Niko-Burks+2nd rounder swap this offseason.
That would be great and a huge steal, but I don’t see why they’d do it. NOP would be looking to cut salary if they trade him.

A.) Upgrading Jingles means brining in an All Star caliber wing. PG13, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard or Klay Thompson. I could be talked into Otto Porter as well. . . but I’m less bullish on that one.

B.) In that instance, moving Jingles immediately upgrades both the starting lineup and the bench. If you get a chance to get one of those guys. . . I think you have to take it.

C.) Mirotic isn’t a starter IMO. He’s a younger, potentially better version of Jerebko. It would almost certainly cost Utah keeping Jerebko and Sefalosha, but I could see them making that call if the opportunity to acquire him comes up. I don’t think he impacts Favors or Crowder if they add him. Just vastly different roles.
I don't want PG13 instead of Jingles, and he's not coming here. I'd take Jimmy Butler but consider him a SG which means moving Mitchell to PG. Kawhi Leanard would be awesome. I think Thompson is also more of a SG not a PG which moves Mitchell to PG not benching Jingles. I would not consider Otto Porter an upgrade to Ingles, same level probably but not really an upgrade. And as I said all of those options are 20+ million offers.

Your not keeping Favors, Crowder and Mirotic. So he does impact that Favors and Crowder if they add him.

Legitimately, I don't know. Unless the Jazz somehow blunder badly, we're pretty much set with starters, depth, and coaching. Unless the Jazz are trading for an all-star without disrupting chemistry, I'd rather keep who we have and simply look for improvement from within.

The Jazz should always be looking for ways to upgrade. I don’t really see them making a big move for an All Star caliber wing this year - but hope it’s a possibility for the future.

I’ve been an advocate for keeping both Favors and Exum, so that would be my focus for this offseason. The question then becomes. . . “How do the Jazz improve, without screwing up their financial flexibility moving forward?”

Imo, the trick to this is trading an expiring (or non-guaranteed) contract for a guy who is also on an expiring contract that can fit into the rotation.

The Jazz should always be looking for ways to upgrade. I don’t really see them making a big move for an All Star caliber wing this year - but hope it’s a possibility for the future.

I’ve been an advocate for keeping both Favors and Exum, so that would be my focus for this offseason. The question then becomes. . . “How do the Jazz improve, without screwing up their financial flexibility moving forward?”

Imo, the trick to this is trading an expiring (or non-guaranteed) contract for a guy who is also on an expiring contract that can fit into the rotation.

I can agree with that, but consider that when we had Hayward, we were bemoaning a lack of a true #1 option. Lo! Here comes the Spida. Rudy, Favors, and Quin seemed to have figured out the issues with them playing together. Rubio has decided to become Steph Curry while Jingles decided to become a facilitator and marksman. Favors keeps being Favors (not a bad thing). This is such a strange season in good ways it turns out. If they carry this into next year? My god....

Gobert, Favors, Crowder, Jingles, Mitchell, Rubio, Exum, O’Neale and Bradley are all solid in their roles and price. Unless something crazy happens, I’m keeping all of them.

That leaves potential upgrades for Udoh, Sefalosha, Jerebko, Burks, Neto and Stockton. For me, getting rid of Burks is my top priority. That’s why I like a Burks/Carroll swap. Nets save $4 million and get another asset for a guy who isn’t in their future plans. Jazz get a guy who fits the culture without breaking the bank.

Keep Udoh, Jerebko and Sefalosha (unless a crazy opportunity to upgrade comes available), see what it’ll cost to keep Neto for a few more years (but let him leave if a big offer comes his way) and then add a player or two in the draft. This team has proven to be solid and deep. The roster is stacked with talented guys who have figured out how to play together. Keep the current roster mostly intact, get more production out of Burks/O’Neale’s minutes, stay healthy and improve from within is a solid strategy.

Last edited:
Just wait. Some all star on some team will demand a trade soon enough. That's when you make a move.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just wait. Some all star on some team will demand a trade soon enough. That's when you make a move.
I think Jimmy Butler is that guy tbh, and a guy that I think would THRIVE in Utah with Gobert, Mitchell and Snyder.

If I were DL, I’d be getting creative to keep my team relatively intact, while still clearing out cap space for 2018 and trying to consolidate assets in the meantime - just looking for my opportunity to strike.