What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Trade Exum, get a solid stretch 4 to replace Crowder. Have DM play back up point, and cross our fingers Foreman can get a solid 12-14 minutes a game.

Is there anybody who sends us an asset for Favors' contract? Boston maybe?

Even a 2nd rounder. Isn't that better than just waiving?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Derrick is the best readily tradable asset the Jazz have, so we could get something for him if we wanted. But the issue becomes filling his slot. I get the distinct impression Utah only deals or cuts him if someone like Harris is coming.

Derrick is the best readily tradable asset the Jazz have, so we could get something for him if we wanted. But the issue becomes filling his slot. I get the distinct impression Utah only deals or cuts him if someone like Harris is coming.
Could we get an asset for Favors without returning a contract, then use that asset to trade Exum, then sign Tobias?

Is there anybody who sends us an asset for Favors' contract? Boston maybe?

Even a 2nd rounder. Isn't that better than just waiving?

Oh yeah, I would think we could get at least a couple of 2nds for him.

Tony Jones said today on the Bill Riley show that Mirotic, Bobby Portis, Danny Green, Rudy Gay and Trevor Ariza are all guy's the Jazz are interested in if they let Favors go. He said they're now evaluating if it makes more sense to sign one or two of those guys or to keep Favors.

Tony Jones said today on the Bill Riley show that Mirotic, Bobby Portis, Danny Green, Rudy Gay and Trevor Ariza are all guy's the Jazz are interested in if they let Favors go. He said they're now evaluating if it makes more sense to sign one or two of those guys or to keep Favors.
Ariza + any of those guys is awesome. For everyone talking about defense we’d lose by not having Favors, imagine Ariza starting and being able to bring Ingles off the bench. Could maybe even start Ariza at the 4.

Ariza + any of those guys is awesome. For everyone talking about defense we’d lose by not having Favors, imagine Ariza starting and being able to bring Ingles off the bench. Could maybe even start Ariza at the 4.

I think Ariza would definitely be the starting 4 with Favors and Crowder both gone.

This makes no sense. They should have made that decision before they even traded for Conley. It would have made it so much easier to maneuver around if they didn't have to absorb Conley into capspace. If they are deciding to let Favors go, they could have absorbed another MAX contract(Harris) without a problem in free agency and then traded for Conley by using Favors' deal. Either Jones doesn't know what he's talking about or our FO doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

And there really are only a couple true Exum “haters” here. Most of what it is is a reaction to the amount of investment that we view as unreasonable, or at least only sustained because of sunk cost. The type of guy Exum is hoped to become is the kind of guy you just go out and grab in free agency — you don’t need to develop that. If anyone’s done much gardening, it’s like growing potatoes. You don’t need to do that. Go to the store and pick some up. They’re cheap AF and you can use that space and effort to grow something else.

The last time we were told to continue to have patience was when we had CJ Miles, continually being reminded that, had he’d stayed in school, he’d only be like 3-4 years into his PhD program. In hindsight, everyone can look back and separate the emotion and realize what CJ was for us (not necessarily bad). But the funny thing is that at this point with CJ Miles he had a much better career than Exum’s had, yet I’m sure nobody is still emotionally attached to that 22 point game he had to close out his rookie season.

Ariza is a 4 at this point. He would be good to have against the big wings and stretch 4s... his shooting is streaky doe.

I think it would be an "or" situation though... Like you can get Ariza or Niko... might get something with the 4-7M leftover.

I mean maybe Niko's market is really rough and he gets around $10M... maybe you can carve out and get to $8M for Ariza.

This makes no sense. They should have made that decision before they even traded for Conley. It would have made it so much easier to maneuver around if they didn't have to absorb Conley into capspace. If they are deciding to let Favors go, they could have absorbed another MAX contract(Harris) without a problem in free agency and then traded for Conley by using Favors' deal. Either Jones doesn't know what he's talking about or our FO doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

It might be more of a "if it is feasible" more than a "if it makes sense". Like maybe they want to get a yes from one of those guys.

I think the ultimate plan could be to trade a guaranteed Favs into someone's space for draft compensation (minor... like a couple good seconds or a late first) and have him as a reasonable fallback option should they not have good luck in FA. I'm sure they have already evaluated this... it isn't a new thought at all.

We can get to $18,500,000 in space by waiving Neto and finding a home for Bradley.

Could offer Niko around 10M then have 9.4 for Ariza (it doesn't add up I know... but you order it and one caphold drops off if you split it between two dudes). That seems feasible... maybe give Ariza a low guarantee for next year (like a $2M) and he comes out either with a two year 19M or one year 11.4M. Niko could get 4/$43M, which is close to his market imo.

Ariza + Mirotic is probably a better option than Favors. You could maybe get both with his 17 mil. One or the other is not worth it. But again some of these FAs are going to go for very cheap. There are rougly 40 players that were in the NBA last year that are not going to be next year. On top of that teams have room and there are tons of FAs. Early ones are going to get overpaid and tie up teams money fast.

Ariza + Mirotic is probably a better option than Favors. You could maybe get both with his 17 mil. One or the other is not worth it. But again some of these FAs are going to go for very cheap. There are rougly 40 players that were in the NBA last year that are not going to be next year. On top of that teams have room and there are tons of FAs. Early ones are going to get overpaid and tie up teams money fast.

Early ones are typically over or under paid... some guys settle early before big dominos fall... usually taking a little less.

I still dont understand why people think it is so unreasonable for Tobias to accept around $29 million when max is $32.7. If he signed a 2 year deal with a 2nd year player option, he could decline and we could re-sign him for longer and more than a 2019-20 max next summer.

Can't we sign him for up to max or 120% of his previous year's salary? So if the cap jumps another $5-10 million for 2020 as anticipated, he will get his payday. His first year of his new 2020 contract could be around $35 million.

He might do it... but it would be a large risk on his part. What if he had a career ending injury during the season? Then he'd lose out on a ton of money.

Dude is made of glass. This is flat out not his fault in any capacity. Dude has had **** luck in dealing with injuries. Unfortunately, he may never reach that potentials the FO and others see in him. I hope I am wrong.

Regardless, he is injury prone and his contract is albatrossing the organization. It is what it is.
The jazz could trade Dante tomorrow if they wanted to. The thing is they don't want to. The reason the fo.The people who understand basketball and know what Dante is capable of better than everyone else on this forum. So that should tell U how good he can be.

Now here’s the real question. Mirotic & Ariza, Favors & Ariza, or just Harris. Keep in mind, if we man up and trade Exum, We could get potentially get Beverly, trade for satoranski, or who I’d really like, Elfrid Payton!