What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

I'd rather have Favors than any two of those guys outside of a combination of Mirotic/Portis/Green. I have no interest in Ariza or Gay. Ariza 3-5 years ago, sure. Never liked Rudy Gay.
If you can get a Tobias Harris without paying an exorbitant price in assets. . . . I think you do that. Outside of Harris, I think you roll with Favors and Exum to start the season and see what options come available at the deadline.

What about a combo of Jeremy Lamb and Trevor Ariza. We'd have room to give Lamb approx. 4/51M with 5% raises and Trevor a 2/15M and change... if we found a taker for Bradley and waived Neto.

Lamb could be the super sub and is young so he can grow with the group... could finish games if we need creation or be a quality starter if any of Conley, DM, or Ingles are hurt. Ariza becomes your starting stretch 4 and gives the 3 and D elements we need with the 5th starter... not as good of a shooter as we'd probably want but he's as good as crowder.

Royce/Niang provide the backup stretch 4 minutes. Use room exception on backup center.

Outside of Philly, let's just go through the list:

Atlanta - Nope.

New York - Nope (report said today they will "punt" on using their cap space if they don't get a top notch free agent like Kawhi or KD)

Pacers - eh, maybe. Don't see that as a great fit with Sabonis and Turner and maybe Young there.

Clippers - Probably not gonna want to go back

Kings - I think he says No

Dallas - do they have max space? Are they even after Tobias?

Utah - we can give $29 millionish
If Dallas gets Horford they’re out. The Pacers taking on Warren changed their cap situation. If they maxed Tobias, I would be quick to move on Bogdonovic who I might like more than Tobias at the number he might be had for (but guess what, that also requires moving on from Favors and Exum).

If you can get a Tobias Harris without paying an exorbitant price in assets. . . . I think you do that. Outside of Harris, I think you roll with Favors and Exum to start the season and see what options come available at the deadline.
i tend to agree, though a combination of Portis and say Green, would be very nice.

Seriously Can we stop talking about Mirotic as he is the missing link. Guy couldn't get off the bench during the playoffs. Ariza is ok but he isn't the same player he was a couple of years ago.
I think the jazz could make Mirotic work, but your point is taken. People see the name Ariza but don't pay attention to age and drop in production due to age. He'll play next season at 34, so only declining at this point. Inefficient shooter and isn't even a plus defender at this point- and again, at his age only getting worse.

i tend to agree, though a combination of Portis and say Green, would be very nice.
I’d keep Favors and Exum over Portis and Green. There’s something to be said for continuity. Exum to me is a lost cause. I’m just hoping he becomes a positive trade asset at some point. You ONLY make a move if you can improve on Favors (or Ingles) in the starting lineup. I don’t see most of the available options being an improvement over Faves. Outside of that, you keep them and pivot to a big trade later. Have to have workable salary to trade with, and the Favors/Exum combo would match up with most of the big money salaries in the league.

I love when you do these because they are always very dismissive of real options. Pacers, Dallas, Kings all legit options... if you are going to assume we are able to clear 10M plus of bad salary so we can offer under $28M then don't you have to assume a handful of other teams could too?

Boston also can have max space by renouncing Rozier... Brooklyn may be the spot too. Clips might be legit too... they could still bring in Kawhi next year if they signed Tobi I believe... Gallo comes off the books. They moved Harris because they weren't sure they could offer him the max day one because of the Kawhi pursuit... not sure they think or don't think he's worth it... if Russell is considering going back to the Lakers why wouldn't Tobias consider going back to an old team.

Only takes one *******.
Okay, so everybody who has or could have space wants to give Tobias a max and Tobias wants to accept a max from all of them. C'mon man.

We are talking Tobias because TJ said he has us high on his list. The only people I have read who are chasing Tobias are Philly, Brooklyn and us. Sure the other teams could pursue him, but you never know. $29 might do it.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I enjoy the anti-Niko takes...
Couldn't get off the bench in the playoffs

-Played 21 minutes per game in 14 games... playing SF a handful of nights on a brand new team. He had a slump at the wrong time... it happens.
-Also, played 36 minutes last year in the western conference playoffs averaging 15 and 10 with 48/43/79 shooting splits.

Favs played 20.6 minutes per game in the playoffs. He was really good. You can argue swapping the two guys straight up makes us worse... but Niko will make less and we can sign him to a long term deal... people acting like he worthless... he's a viable option and would be our 5th best player in the starting lineup.

Okay, so everybody who has or could have space wants to give Tobias a max and Tobias wants to accept a max from all of them. C'mon man.

I never said that... but all those teams are options... you left Brooklyn off your initial list which has been his preferred destination according to sources... so no... you cmon man.

Every team with max space currently could be a suitor. He may take the additional money in a less desirable place... its entirely possible. The same Tony Jones that started this **** also said this....

C'mon man... GTFO with that

I never said that... but all those teams are options... you left Brooklyn off your initial list which has been his preferred destination according to sources... so no... you cmon man.

Every team with max space currently could be a suitor. He may take the additional money in a less desirable place... its entirely possible. The same Tony Jones that started this **** also said this....

C'mon man... GTFO with that
I accidentally left Brooklyn off. My bad.

I'm just not sold every guy expecting max this summer is gonna get max. If Brooklyn gets Kyrie and KD, I don't think NY is spending max on anybody. I also think Indy will keep their many parts rather than let them walk for one guy like Tobias.

I don't think we can predict anything this year which is why I say it's possible Tobias might come here for slightly below the max. So many variables.

Trade Exum, get a stretch 4 and roll with favors and our new stretch 4. Favors is a talent we are very lucky to have. He’s consistent, loyal and doesn’t complain at all. He’s a great teammate and he puts up good numbers. We should clear up some money by trading guys that are always injured. I don’t hate Exum, I just feel like he could maybe start over with a different franchise. We need to seriously think before we move favors. We already have a potential Big 3 (depending on how DM plays and if Conley can stay healthy) we should think about adding to what we have, and not put our effort into fixing something that’s not broke. Stretch 4 who can sub in and out with favors, back up pg and maybe a cheap wing. We have Favors for very cheap. If we feel crumby about losing Crowder, imagine how we will feel after we lose Favors. We have the starting lineup, now let’s focus on our depth.

I accidentally left Brooklyn off. My bad.

I'm just not sold every guy expecting max this summer is gonna get max. If Brooklyn gets Kyrie and KD, I don't think NY is spending max on anybody. I also think Indy will keep their many parts rather than let them walk for one guy like Tobias.

I don't think we can predict anything this year which is why I say it's possible Tobias might come here for slightly below the max. So many variables.

Harris is getting he max somewhere. He ain’t coming to the Jazz for less.

I trade for Conley, keep Neto for depth, keep an eye open for Favors for depth options. Then I pray to God/Shiva/Buddha/Allah/BBallGod that the Jazz are blessed with team wide health.

Jazz in 6, NBA champions

Trade Exum, get a stretch 4 and roll with favors and our new stretch 4. Favors is a talent we are very lucky to have. He’s consistent, loyal and doesn’t complain at all. He’s a great teammate and he puts up good numbers. We should clear up some money by trading guys that are always injured. I don’t hate Exum, I just feel like he could maybe start over with a different franchise. We need to seriously think before we move favors. We already have a potential Big 3 (depending on how DM plays and if Conley can stay healthy) we should think about adding to what we have, and not put our effort into fixing something that’s not broke. Stretch 4 who can sub in and out with favors, back up pg and maybe a cheap wing. We have Favors for very cheap. If we feel crumby about losing Crowder, imagine how we will feel after we lose Favors. We have the starting lineup, now let’s focus on our depth.

I wouldn't call $17 million "very cheap", especially when you consider he only plays 23 minutes a game.

I enjoy the anti-Niko takes...
Couldn't get off the bench in the playoffs

-Played 21 minutes per game in 14 games... playing SF a handful of nights on a brand new team. He had a slump at the wrong time... it happens.
-Also, played 36 minutes last year in the western conference playoffs averaging 15 and 10 with 48/43/79 shooting splits.

Favs played 20.6 minutes per game in the playoffs. He was really good. You can argue swapping the two guys straight up makes us worse... but Niko will make less and we can sign him to a long term deal... people acting like he worthless... he's a viable option and would be our 5th best player in the starting lineup.

Niko had a bad playoffs, it happens. Mitchell set some record lows on PER himself in the playoffs and we aren't bashing him. Niko is worth looking at if his contract will be at a discount. If you're always buying high and selling low you will never win anything in the NBA.

What about a combo of Jeremy Lamb and Trevor Ariza. We'd have room to give Lamb approx. 4/51M with 5% raises and Trevor a 2/15M and change... if we found a taker for Bradley and waived Neto.

Lamb could be the super sub and is young so he can grow with the group... could finish games if we need creation or be a quality starter if any of Conley, DM, or Ingles are hurt. Ariza becomes your starting stretch 4 and gives the 3 and D elements we need with the 5th starter... not as good of a shooter as we'd probably want but he's as good as crowder.

Royce/Niang provide the backup stretch 4 minutes. Use room exception on backup center.

Decent additions for sure! Can they both be had, or just one? We only have the MLE, and pocket change right?

Decent additions for sure! Can they both be had, or just one? We only have the MLE, and pocket change right?
If they keep Favors they have the ROOM MLE (not the full) and the BAE. Each is partitioned and worth $4.7 million. The scenario above could only happen if they waive Favors.