What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

The elephant in the living room here is that the Jazz could open a max slot by declining Favors' option and finding a taker for Joe Ingles (which I don't think would be too difficult). The only question is whether it's worth it for a guy like Tobias Harris.

About $29m (Favors $17m, Ingles $12m). Releasing Neto's hold opens up a full Max slot or close enough. Question is if the player they would get would be losing Ingles, Favors, and Neto for whomever they sign plus whatever compensation they got back for Ingles.

The elephant in the living room here is that the Jazz could open a max slot by declining Favors' option and finding a taker for Joe Ingles (which I don't think would be too difficult). The only question is whether it's worth it for a guy like Tobias Harris.

If the Jazz are going to win a championship they're going to have to take some risks. Obviously everyone loves Joe, but Royce is waiting in the wings and Tobias makes the Jazz significantly better.

About $29m (Favors $17m, Ingles $12m). Releasing Neto's hold opens up a full Max slot or close enough. Question is if the player they would get would be losing Ingles, Favors, and Neto for whomever they sign plus whatever compensation they got back for Ingles.

Right. I think the Jazz are prepared to do this kind of big consolidation move, and they've got a short list of players they'd be willing to do it for. They could acquire a big free agent, or they could pick up Favors' option and do a big trade.

I think Ingles is closer to $13M btw.

Right. I think the Jazz are prepared to do this kind of big consolidation move, and they've got a short list of players they'd be willing to do it for. They could acquire a big free agent, or they could pick up Favors' option and do a big trade.

I think Ingles is closer to $13M btw.

Cap number is about $12m. Contract was frontloaded with declining per year compensation.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/utah-jazz/cap/

If the Jazz are going to win a championship they're going to have to take some risks. Obviously everyone loves Joe, but Royce is waiting in the wings and Tobias makes the Jazz significantly better.

The Jazz relied on Joe Ingles to handle the ball a lot and initiate offense last year. But we don't really need that when we've got Mike Conley and Donovan has more experience playing on the ball. Ingles should primarily be a spot-up shooter from the corner or the break this year. We can find guys who can do that for less than $13M.

Justin Zanik said the Jazz are going to have open roster spots this year for rookies and FAs to fill. The Jazz just paid $2M to acquire the 58th pick in the draft (which is pretty uncharacteristic for them) so they could draft Miye Oni. Not to read too much into it, but it sounds like the Jazz are preparing a consolidation move.

If you're opening a max slot for Tobias, I think Philly would have interest in Ingles/Favors in a sign and trade. Ingles would fit that team really well

If you're opening a max slot for Tobias, I think Philly would have interest in Ingles/Favors in a sign and trade. Ingles would fit that team really well

Is Harris = or > than Favors/Ingles? I like that deal personally, but it's possible I have homer colored glasses right now.

Neto, Bradley and maybe Favors are expendable. Exum maybe too.

I just don't think Ingles and O'Neale are available. It's really, really hard to find 2 guys with that much versatility that make less than $14 million combined next season. Those guys are necessary next to Conley, Mitchell and Gobert.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Neto, Bradley and maybe Favors are expendable. Exum maybe too.

I just don't think Ingles and O'Neale are available. It's really, really hard to find 2 guys with that much versatility that make less than $14 million combined next season. Those guys are necessary next to Conley, Mitchell and Gobert.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Ingles would be very difficult to deal, but he's not untouchable. Ingles is a better player than Royce right now, but Utah probably has longer term plans for Rolls.

I don't see where Utah deals Royce except for a top 10 player type of trade due to his value for the contract.

I think people on here are way over valuing Harris. He replaces Favors value on our team. But there is no way he replaces Favors and Ingles Value on our team. Conley/Mitchell/Ingles/Favors/Gobert + Royce > Conley/Mitchell/Royce/Harris/Gobert.

Ingles would be very difficult to deal, but he's not untouchable. Ingles is a better player than Royce right now, but Utah probably has longer term plans for Rolls.

I don't see where Utah deals Royce except for a top 10 player type of trade due to his value for the contract.

I agree. I think the Jazz see Royce as a starter, possibly as soon as this season. He was clearly better than Ingles in the playoffs last season. It sounds like they're hell bent against trading Exum and possibly interested in getting rid of Favors. Ingles is the other guy that has to go if they want to sign a guy like Tobias at this point, which sucks.

I do not see the benefit of Harris if we lose both Fav and Ingles. And I am sure the FO doesn't either. I don't think anything happens and we see how much better Conley makes the same team we had last year. And if by trade deadline it isn't an improvement, a trade will happen at that point.

I think people on here are way over valuing Harris. He replaces Favors value on our team. But there is no way he replaces Favors and Ingles Value on our team. Conley/Mitchell/Ingles/Favors/Gobert + Royce > Conley/Mitchell/Royce/Harris/Gobert.

I don't think the Jazz are contenders right now. I think there's a really good chance that they're contenders with Tobias. I'd rather trade Exum than Ingles in this hypothetical, but that doesn't seem like an option based on reports. There's also a good chance Joe's best days are behind him, although I'm convinced he's Benjamin Button and will be league MVP at 45.

I agree. I think the Jazz see Royce as a starter, possibly as soon as this season. He was clearly better than Ingles in the playoffs last season. It sounds like they're hell bent against trading Exum and possibly interested in getting rid of Favors. Ingles is the other guy that has to go if they want to sign a guy like Tobias at this point, which sucks.

It would make sense to deal Exum from a cap standpoint, but I'm not sure the Jazz can do it or have interest in actually doing it. How I'm seeing things right now:

• Favors is probably being shopped for a return or, though less likely, a S&T. Atlanta would be interesting for him and something I could see Utah trying to do as Favors has been good the organization and they'd want to do right for the guy if possible. If not, they'll release him with plenty of time left in FA for Favors to get a good deal. At worst, they return him. If that's our "at worst", we're in a good spot.

• Ingles probably isn't shopped heavily, but the FO is probably getting calls as other teams see Utah's motivations this off season with what the FO has signaled. If a top-tier FA were to signal to the Jazz they are going to come to the 801, then Utah pulls the trigger on a deal to clear the space.

• The FO may still like Exum's potential, but that interest has to have waned somewhat despite what Jones has said. As such, if they can offload him for a bag of Dorito's, they'll consider it if the right FA comes along. Exum is still young and could have just had a bad run of injuries. But there has to be a very thin patience with him this next season if he comes back. It's a do or die for him this year if he is kept and a deal was available.

• Bradley needs to put up this year or he'll not be retained next year. Simple as that. He's probably available as a kicker for right deal. I hope it works for him. Dude's a nice guy.

• Royce...lol nope, kthnxbye.

• I think the FO and Quin sees some potential in Niang to pull a Royce and develop into a damn good contributor. At worst, he's a cheap stretch 3/4. Utah will probably hang on to him and see how he develops with more minutes and if he can earn a spot in the rotation.

• The seconds we got are probably going to be end of the bench/Stars guys this year, but if one of 'em should pan out, all the better. They'll fill up space and get some garbage time. We'll see where they go, but I think Utah will keep them all available for the roster in some capacity.

I don't understand the cap rules in the sport. And I am sure this has been asked before. But if we release Favors, and in doing so lose his bird rights. Do we get the 17 million in cap space? I thought if you lose bird rights that cap space is gone.