What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

agreed. unlike shooting, defense is something that you can rely consistently every night. niang is absolutely useless when his shot isn't falling.

maker, when deployed correctly, could become a savage for us on D comes playoffs. he is currently losing his job to a very good Christian Wood, who we have no chance of getting during this season. but maker's contract will also expire in the summer, meaning if we don't like maker's game on offense, we can always use that extra cap space to find his replacement, like his upgrade Christian Wood. but i do think maker's better on defense than wood. he's just been terribly misused by pistons.
Supposedly, the Celtics really want Drummond and I doubt they want to give up Hayward.

I wonder if we could pull a trade where we get Smart, Thon Maker and pieces, Detroit gets Conley and picks from Boston and Boston gets Drummond.

We aren't gonna trade Conley, but interesting thought. Maybe we could trade Davis for Thon.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Supposedly, the Celtics really want Drummond and I doubt they want to give up Hayward.

I wonder if we could pull a trade where we get Smart, Thon Maker and pieces, Detroit gets Conley and picks from Boston and Boston gets Drummond.

We aren't gonna trade Conley, but interesting thought. Maybe we could trade Davis for Thon.

if pistons ends up trading rose and keeping Drummond though, mudiay+niang should be able to get maker. good insurance for them on the PF and PG position. they absolutely need more shooting on their team

if pistons ends up trading rose and keeping Drummond though, mudiay+niang should be able to get maker. good insurance for them on the PF and PG position. they absolutely need more shooting on their team
Or if they trade Drummond and want a big who is under contract for next year, maybe they go Thon for Davis.

Bradley is better than Thon Maker.
not sure we would trust bradley to guard jokic like Det did with maker during crunch time in OT this morning. bradley isn't bad, but maker's defensive upside is in a whole different world.

I think he fits a clear need for us. Don't know if we pull the trigger though.

not only that. both josh jackson and maker are on expiring contracts. which means if we can get either one of them with Ed Davis's two year contract, it'd be a major win for us even if we don't play them a single minute this season cuz we just got more cap space cleared to sign better players in the summer

Houston shopping Capella just shows their absolute lack of need for a true center. What a crazy day in the NBA when a team can run out 5 guys shorter than 6'6" and be feared every single night.

not sure we would trust bradley to guard jokic like Det did with maker during crunch time in OT this morning. bradley isn't bad, but maker's defensive upside is in a whole different world.

The idea of Thon on defense is better theoretically than it is in reality. In reality he's a poor defender.

Houston shopping Capella just shows their absolute lack of need for a true center. What a crazy day in the NBA when a team can run out 5 guys shorter than 6'6" and be feared every single night.

yep, that is why i keep saying backup 5 is not the problem. we don't need a 5 at all if we can just play some passable perimeter D but we just got way too comfortable relying on Rudy to bail us out now the opponents knew we are vulnerable as long as they can get rudy out of the paint.

The idea of Thon on defense is better theoretically than it is in reality. In reality he's a poor defender.
that's why i said "defensive upside" instead of "defensive ability". his effort on D comes and goes and his career stats aren't great but he has many moments of defensive brilliance which is all we needed from him really. despite playing only 6 min, he pretty much won the game for the pistons today in OT by playing some defense on jokic so spectacular that even rudy probably wouldn't have pulled off. i'd be happy with him taking niang's minutes, especially when the game is on the line and we need to make some stops. nothing more.

that's why i said "defensive upside" instead of "defensive ability". his effort on D comes and goes and his career stats aren't great but he has many moments of defensive brilliance which is all we needed from him really. despite playing only 6 min, he pretty much won the game for the pistons today in OT by playing some defense on jokic so spectacular that even rudy probably wouldn't have pulled off. i'd be happy with him taking niang's minutes, especially when the game is on the line and we need to make some stops. nothing more.

If the Jazz traded for him he would be behind Bradley and Niang in the rotation. He wouldn't get Niangs minutes. Niang is a better shooter and for better or worse that's why he's on the floor. It's what Quin wants on the floor. And he wouldn't get Bradley's minutes because Bradley has more experience in the system and is frankly a better player.

Maker is dumb af. Although he possesses an almighty karate kick and willingness to mix it up with fans and go into the stands to do so