What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

I'd like us to orchestrate a 30-team trade where we trade NWG and Bradley and give them to a team who gives up a package that's only 5-10% better, and that keeps going down the line with each package 5-10% better, until it gets to the last team and they give that package to us.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=tcwwl4c

NY sends something to Portland. I'd feel better about this deal because I'd feel bad about sending Ed to NY.
Not a bad idea, but not sure why Portland would prefer Davis over Gibson. Also, I think NY would get back a pick for sending out the best player (Gibson) and taking on Hood's salary for this year and next (assuming he won't be productive next year if he comes back from the achilles).

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=tcwwl4c

NY sends something to Portland. I'd feel better about this deal because I'd feel bad about sending Ed to NY.
Also, I think a three teamer with Ed to Atlanta could make some sense... they need professionals and already have infinity cap space next year. $5M ain't no thing.

NY needs some reason to do it... money, 2nds, prospects... something.

Something like this maybe... http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=w7n8caz

Not a bad idea, but not sure why Portland would prefer Davis over Gibson. Also, I think NY would get back a pick for sending out the best player (Gibson) and taking on Hood's salary for this year and next (assuming he won't be productive next year if he comes back from the achilles).
Having Gibson is pointless. They have a team option. I don't see any reason to keep that. This way they collect on Hood who could be a good piece when he comes back next year.

Maybe have DL propose a White Elephant Player Exchange... wrap up a player and trade em all around.... Nice you landed an Aron Baynes for your NWG sweet... Oh damn you got stuck with the Andrew Wiggins contract!
This should totally be a thing in the next CBA.

Having Gibson is pointless. They have a team option. I don't see any reason to keep that. This way they collect on Hood who could be a good piece when he comes back next year.
I think that injury could be a career ender or close to it... definitely a two year deal... but the Knicks are stupid AF so who knows.

If you sent the knicks a second and expirings I feel like that’s good value for Taj. Ed May have a little value and they need some professionals. I don’t think they are trying to be big players in this years FA... they’d still be able to get in if they want.

Would Biyombo be better than Udoh?
I don’t believe so. I just hope Udoh isn’t salty about how his time here played out. He was very good for us, and everything we could’ve reasonably hoped for from Ed.

Really the only things I’d want are another backup for Rudy that’s better than Davis, and a PF who can handle Lebron/Davis well enough, pass, pick and roll. I like Faried, don’t think Bertens, Morris, baynes, etc are available to us.
This hypothetical 4 is pretty rare, though. At least if they’re supposed to also be good enough of a shooter to close out on.

If only Ed could be last seasons Ed. That would be neat.
I still hold some of this belief that he’s the same. He’s played only 21 games for us — less than Conley — and averaged 11 mpg in those games. 13 of them were after his injury. He played with a garbage offense on the bench so a magnifying glass was held to his weaknesses.

I still hold some of this belief that he’s the same. He’s played only 21 games for us — less than Conley — and averaged 11 mpg in those games. 13 of them were after his injury. He played with a garbage offense on the bench so a magnifying glass was held to his weaknesses.
IDK what he looked like last year but even when he could get an offensive board the shot he’d put up wasn’t close... the hands and the pick and roll has always been an issue I believe.

He was just not nearly as good on either side of the ball as I thought he would be. Imagine if we had picked Holmes instead of Ed... damn.

IDK what he looked like last year but even when he could get an offensive board the shot he’d put up wasn’t close... the hands and the pick and roll has always been an issue I believe.

He was just not nearly as good on either side of the ball as I thought he would be. Imagine if we had picked Holmes instead of Ed... damn.

From what I've seen this year he might be the most uncoordinated player in the entire NBA.

I don't know. Kind of the same thing with Conley. He's a career 56.7% FG. Lowest of his career was 51.3%. He's 36.7%. Yes, eye test is he's looked bad. But he's only 30. He played with a completely anemic bench, he's had very limited minutes, and coming back from injury. I'm not saying he's some goliath, but I believe the Ed we've seen is an outlier, and I think for the sake of the playoffs it's worth having him re-discover himself if we aren't making other moves.

I don't know. Kind of the same thing with Conley. He's a career 56.7% FG. Lowest of his career was 51.3%. He's 36.7%. Yes, eye test is he's looked bad. But he's only 30. He played with a completely anemic bench, he's had very limited minutes, and coming back from injury. I'm not saying he's some goliath, but I believe the Ed we've seen is an outlier, and I think for the sake of the playoffs it's worth having him re-discover himself if we aren't making other moves.
this

If we aren’t making any other moves, then of course he has the entire coaching staff at his disposal. I’m sure they’d hire a soul-finder for Ed if he needed one.

bottom line is that this position is clearly the weakest link. It’s significantly lowering our ceiling. DL and Zanik aren’t doing their jobs if they aren’t trying to upgrade it.

If it was just FG% then I'd say sure... but its TOV% (27.2%), fouls per 36 (7.6... more than TB), and his rebounding is down. He shoots 4.7 shots per 36... It is too deadly of a combo to work through... low volume, high turnover, low percentage... He is butt naked last in RPM for centers by a wide margin. He is 5th worst in the whole league (459 players). Even when we'd luck out and he'd get fouled he was only 45% from the free throw line. Tony has helped just by being his "meh" self.

We didn't do him a ton of favors with the unit he was out there with, but he was reason #1 that unit sucked... at worst he was #1b with Jeff being 1a. He's literally been like close to the worst player in the nba type ****... we aren't good enough to overcome how bad he was.

Honestly I'm looking at the realistic possibilities at 5 and I'm not sold that any of them are a distinct upgrade over TB who has shown promise and Ed if there was any way we could drag last seasons version out of him.

Biyombo would be a liability in playoff basketball. Hernangomez and Len have defensive question marks just like TB. Gibson's defense has fallen off hard the last few seasons and I'm not sold on the fit. Kyle O'Quinn? Meh.

Can I give Ed a hug or something? Would that fix it?