What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Rayan Rupert 18 yo wing from France is a guy that is beginning to move up mock draft boards. He will be playing for the NZ Breakers this coming season.

Amen Thompson with a jumpshot would have the potential to be like Penny Hardaway. If that happens, I think he has to be a top-3 prospect.

In the first three years of OKC's rebuild, they drafted Darius Bazley, Aleksei Pokusevski and Josh Giddey. Not exactly a fast track. They did better this last draft, obviously.

Last edited:
In the first three years of OKC's rebuild, they drafted Darius Bazley, Aleksei Pokusevski and Josh Giddey. Not exactly a fast track. They did better this last draft, obviously.
I'm kind of hoping that OKC is not the absolute blueprint of what we are doing. Three years of suck is a lot for that kind of reward.

I'm kind of hoping that OKC is not the absolute blueprint of what we are doing. Three years of suck is a lot for that kind of reward.

It shouldn't be. The Jazz will suck for a few years, but the drafts in '23 and '24 are very strong and the Jazz should have top-7 or so picks in both. At that point, the Jazz will build a competitive team and start adding talent using other teams' draft picks (T'wolves and Cavs). But the Jazz have to hit in these next two drafts and get All Stars. The Jazz's blueprint should be more like Memphis or maybe Houston.

Jazz really need to hit in 2 consecutive drafts, like Boston did with Jaylen and Jayson and Memphis did with JJJ and Ja. Cleveland did well too with Garland and Mobley. If the Jazz can get a second pick in the mid-1st round of this draft, they might get two hits in one draft. It's going to be close, depending on where the T'wolves' pick lands.

Last edited:
In the back of my mind, I feel that this team is going to ball out this year with the amount of young talent that will be super motivated, and screw up this year's tank. We will compete for a play-in spot, and our own pick will be late lottery. The bright side is that our current roster would have hidden gems, and we would be closer than expected.

It's not that I am not blown away by this kid's talent. Wow, he is special. What I worry about is a kid this size and potential foot problems.
Not to mention knee and back. All of the things that tend to kill big guys' careers in short order. He looks like a twig out there. What happens when he has a player like Ayton, 5x as strong as he is, to contend with on a nightly basis. Seriously risky proposition there.

For anyone on Wemby watch, I found these links the most useful and most reliable to track his numbers:

proballers.com/basketball/player/180211/victor-wembanyama/games

Two games in, very productive. 24/13/3/3 per36.....but still rocking that terrible efficiency. Only 47% TS.

I am very interested to see the wings play. Wings are at such a premium these days…even if someone like Scoot is a better prospect it might be worth it to take a wing anyways. I know you’re always supposed to draft BPA, but having a good wing is much more important than having a good PG or C imo.

It’ll be good to look at a group of guys instead of one guy we have at best a small chance of getting.

Speaking of that one guy….Watched full Wemby highlights from his second game….it looked like an overdose of all the good and bad things again. He’s incredibly unique and talented, but he really shouldn’t be talking the worst shots on the court.

Odds are low for us to get the #1 pick as they are for every team. Here’s a look at a few guys drafted outside the top-2 in the lottery the last 7 years:

Evan Mobley
Scottie Barnes
Josh Giddey
Franz Wagner
LaMelo Ball
Tyrese Haliburton
RJ Barrett
Darius Garland
Tyler Herro
Luka Doncic
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Trae Young
Collin Sexton
Mikal Bridges
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jayson Tatum
De’Aaron Fox
Donovan Mitchell
Bam Adebayo
Jaylen Brown
Jamal Murray
Devin Booker

There will be impact players available wherever we draft we just have to hit on our pick. It’s not the end of the world if we don’t end up with a top-2 pick ESPECIALLY in this draft.