What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Rupert offense is definitely a concern, but the scouts say he has a soft touch on his floater and his ball-handling and shot form look competent to me, so I have hopes for him

If you can teach Andre Jackson Jr to knock down wide open 3's he can be this year's Herb Jones IMO.
So I was thinking watching those Rupert videos "K, but what about just getting Andre Jackson in the 2nd round or later" (obviously, the Jazz don't have a pick but the point is the bar for acquisition appears to be relatively low)?

I understand he's not the same specimen, but he is more than just potential and contributing real winning to a real winning program.

At some point he is intriguing enough to buy into and bet on Hardy. In the 20s cool... in the teens pass. I could see him ending up in the second round on a short leash and having to go the Wood/Whiteside route.

If he had better physical traits like McDaniels, maybe. But he's kind of a tweener size/athleticism wise between the 3/4 and mediocre at both positions. Like I don't know what he scales down to. Is he a 6'9 stretch big who provides very little big man value? He still needs to prove he can shoot well. I don't know what his role is, and I have minimal belief that he will buy into a smaller offensive role anyways.

To me he's a low floor, low ceiling prospect. Maybe the shot making works, he's still terrible at everything else. He needs incredible amounts of improvement at the one thing he does and tons of improvement everywhere else to even get a chance on the court.

Rupert offense is definitely a concern, but the scouts say he has a soft touch on his floater and his ball-handling and shot form look competent to me, so I have hopes for him
I would highly recommend watching a complete game of his. His handle is so not complete right now.

Yeah...when you look through his history the offense is....not promising at all. I think he will be a terrific defender, but he might be in the Stanley Johnson mold where he can't get on the court because his offense is so bad.

Interestingly enough, all 3 French wings played in the same tournament for France this summer. Sidy (listed as a PG btw) was the most productive, and right now I think he is the best player. Rupert played more than Bilal, but same kinda story with his offense going 3/20 on three's. Bilal played the least and just looking at the numbers was likely abusing his athleticism and size to dunk a lot shooting 20/26 on two pointers lol.

I like Bilal a lot. He has the frame and athleticism that Rupert has, but he's shown more promise on offense as he's dominated the French U21 league. He's playing with the senior team now with Wemby and basically not shooting at all, but his rebounds/steals/blocks are still there. Even though he was behind the other two I think he will have the most accelerated development. He's really improved a lot this year.
Well said.

So I was thinking watching those Rupert videos "K, but what about just getting Andre Jackson in the 2nd round or later" (obviously, the Jazz don't have a pick but the point is the bar for acquisition appears to be relatively low)?

I understand he's not the same specimen, but he is more than just potential and contributing real winning to a real winning program.

Bilal Coulibaly is the physical specimen we should be drafting. Same dimensions (6'7 with 7'3 wingpsan)....much more promising offensive game imo.

View: https://youtu.be/fjOrzBlUH78

I think AJJ is a pretty unique player. He's going to be pretty close to a non-scorer/shooter. He's more of a hustle player who is just going to be a maniac on the court. Kind of like a Vanderbilt but more perimeter oriented.
I would highly recommend watching a complete game of his. His handle is so not complete right now.
Yeah, not saying it's complete, but I think it's promising. He gets low and isnt a complete spazz with the ball. I havent watched complete games, but he has full game highlights of positive/negative plays on YouTube.

Bilal Coulibaly is the physical specimen we should be drafting. Same dimensions (6'7 with 7'3 wingpsan)....much more promising offensive game imo.

View: https://youtu.be/fjOrzBlUH78

Honestly i REALLY want to come away with one of at least Sidy/Leonard Miller/Bilal. Not that they are the same player type but that I think they are all great values relative to where they are being mocked.

If he had better physical traits like McDaniels, maybe. But he's kind of a tweener size/athleticism wise between the 3/4 and mediocre at both positions. Like I don't know what he scales down to. Is he a 6'9 stretch big who provides very little big man value? He still needs to prove he can shoot well. I don't know what his role is, and I have minimal belief that he will buy into a smaller offensive role anyways.

To me he's a low floor, low ceiling prospect. Maybe the shot making works, he's still terrible at everything else. He needs incredible amounts of improvement at the one thing he does and tons of improvement everywhere else to even get a chance on the court.
I think KOC had his comp as Marcus Morris... which if it works out I think if fair. I think that is kind of the ceiling for him and I don't think its a good bet.

Honestly i REALLY want to come away with one of at least Sidy/Leonard Miller/Bilal. Not that they are the same player type but that I think they are all great values relative to where they are being mocked.
1 will be available with the Philly pick... if all of them go then it will push someone else interesting to us. Assuming we stay 9ish I think you look at Hendo, Black, Wallace... with the Minny pick I'm looking at Bufkin as the target or someone that falls unexpectedly... at 27/28 one of the french dudes or if they are all gone one of like Whitehead/Lively/Lewis/Clowney have slipped and you take them. I could see Sensabaugh having a medical red flag and falling... perfect... sit a year and get in NBA shape.

Plan A - take a French dude at 27

Plan B - Yolo on the guy that has fallen for some weird reason.

He's also playing in the soft-*** French league.

NBL isnt a great league, but it's very physical and much tougher league to score in than the Jeep Elite.

Yeah...we've had this level of competition conversation many times. Many players across many different levels of competition. I don't really know how you reconcile the french u21 league versus OTE for example....There's no real good way to do this tbh so you kinda just got to go with your gut.

He's shown a ton of promise IMO. He been totally dominant in that competition and also made a massive improvement YOY. I wish he had more of an offensive role on the senior team....but it seems like he's still playing great defense at that level. Like I said in the earlier post, I think it's safe to say that he was in 3rd place this summer and that's why he's ranked third by most. But 3 years from now.....6 years from now? I'm placing my bets on him. I like the other two French wings but he's my guy this year.

The dislike of GG from most of this board is crazy to me. I love his overall skill level and I would gladly take him with the Minny pick. In a few years I think we will be looking at him as a Tobias Harris caliber player.

Last edited:
1 will be available with the Philly pick... if all of them go then it will push someone else interesting to us. Assuming we stay 9ish I think you look at Hendo, Black, Wallace... with the Minny pick I'm looking at Bufkin as the target or someone that falls unexpectedly... at 27/28 one of the french dudes or if they are all gone one of like Whitehead/Lively/Lewis/Clowney have slipped and you take them. I could see Sensabaugh having a medical red flag and falling... perfect... sit a year and get in NBA shape.

If you come away with Tay Hen, Bufkin and Sidy/Bilal I would lose my mind in happiness

Regardless of league, anyone can watch that and see an extremely smooth and under control athlete with great size.

He showed some advanced stuff with the ball handling too. Snaking the PnR, change of pace, etc. The competition might be great, but he's clearly thinking on his toes and making quick decisions. Maybe this never becomes a part of his NBA game and maybe his shooting never materializes, but his offensive game isn't barren. Reading up on him, everyone describes him as "raw". Might be true but he shows a lot of promise and I'm expecting a rapid development.

I'm also a sucker for someone who can jump off of either foot, I think it gives a huge advantage. He is very right hand dominant, but he elevates easily off of either foot which allows for those smooth finishes. He's the level of athlete where if he doesn't completely suck at basketball he will be good.

One French dude will probably be there at 27....question is if any of them stand out enough to take with the Minny pick and if they are even better than the other guys at the MIN pick.

I'm a Bilal superfan....I don't hate Rupert or Sidy but I also don't think they've separated themselves enough. I'd be willing to hope the latter two drop or take the other guy who they caused to drop.

One French dude will probably be there at 27....question is if any of them stand out enough to take with the Minny pick and if they are even better than the other guys at the MIN pick.

I'm a Bilal superfan....I don't hate Rupert or Sidy but I also don't think they've separated themselves enough. I'd be willing to hope the latter two drop or take the other guy who they caused to drop.
I think Bilal is the most likely guy to be there... so I would wait.