Jazz this season offensively

11th in offensive rating
11th in ppg
9th in the leauge in assist
14th in the leauge in fg%
9th in the leauge in 3 point percent%
11th in the leauge in fewest turnovers

So I'll just leave that there

replace mansap with kanter and i'm all for it. bring carroll along with millsap off the bench. start mawill, i think he could be the mawill we hoped him to be (like in the preseason) with an increased role on the offensive end. carroll and millsap could be a great spark off the bench, getting 25-30 mpg. mawill could bring the outside shooting we need even if he was quite a disappointment so far this season. he for sure will do much better next year...

Add Foye to that bench and thats a pretty good team. I'd be OK with milsap starting and Kanter off the bench too.

What makes people think Millsap has any intrest in coming off the bench? And if we're truly commiting to developing our young players at the end of the seasons, there's no reason he should start over Kanter/Favors

he never ever will accept a role off the bench. he has been saying this very often. i just don't see an other role than this of a sixth man going forward:

favors 33 mpg
kanter 33 mpg
mawill 28 mpg
hayward 34 mpg
bledsoe 32 mpg

carroll 25 mpg
foye 18 mpg
butler 18 mpg

sign a veteran big and guard or via trade or draft and give them the remaining minutes. looks like we have to give up burks, too.

Why? There are 96 minutes at the 4 and 5. Even if Kanter or Favors are coming off the bench, with one fewer player getting 30+ minutes in front of them, there could easily be enough minutes for them to develop. You could give Millsap and Favors 30 minutes, Kanter 24, and still have 12 minutes left over for a 4th big.

Why would we do that instead of just having the young guys on the court? Clearly we're not on the same page, because I'd rather our young core start together, and go through a downish year, where they get starting minutes and experience, rather than have Millsap(who's been our most inconsistant big this season IMO) starting in front of one of our bigs. It doesn't make sense if we're commiting long term to our young draft picks.

The only role I see for Millsap is coming off the bench, which I don't think he wants.

Also, I realize Al's not as good a fit for the Clips as KG is, but he could be a pretty damn good option off the bench for them.

Why would we do that instead of just having the young guys on the court? Clearly we're not on the same page, because I'd rather our young core start together, and go through a downish year, where they get starting minutes and experience, rather than have Millsap(who's been our most inconsistant big this season IMO) starting in front of one of our bigs. It doesn't make sense if we're commiting long term to our young draft picks.

The only role I see for Millsap is coming off the bench, which I don't think he wants.
They could still get starting minutes and play together, even if one is coming off the bench. I just think the defense/offense combo of a Favors-Millsap-Carroll-Hayward-Bledsoe lineup sets the table better. Kanter gets all the touches he needs on the second unit. Players don't have to start to contribute, and a lot of teams shoot themselves in the foot by choosing lineups based on overall talent rather than fit. The Spurs, who you've cited in this very thread, are a perfect example of this (Manu).

hQoLbpm.png

i'd be okey with resigning millsap for 8-9 mio/year for the next 3-4 years if he would accept a role off the bench à la ginobili or harden or crawford. he would be one of the best sixth man and still could get 28-30 mpg. since he would demand a bigger contract and a starting role, i'd say trade him and fat al's fat butt as soon as possible. i'm against overpaying players that are undersized or defensive liabilities and have reached their maximum. kanter, favors and hayward have to start and take over the new era. we should immediately build around those three pieces. add bledsoe and a young wing via trade or draft and we are in a great position.

I usally just stay in my Jazz channel thread, but the amount of exaggeration and pessimism I read, does not match what I see, during the multiple times I watch these games, and the stats I see about the team on both basketball reference and Nba.com. Not to mention the 7th seed we're holding steady at.

Reading this forum, with no prior knowledge about any of that, you'd have to conclude we we're 15 games out of the playoffs, with Coach smart(sac) at the helm of the team.
People are complaining about mediocrity and seeing little evidence that the organization is committed to a championship, not being the worst in the league. A lot of people wouldn't mind being the worst in the league at the right time. I would expect someone that's actually paying attention to know that, so either you're not terribly bright, you haven't actually really been paying attention, or are not being honest.

They could still get starting minutes and play together, even if one is coming off the bench. I just think the defense/offense combo of a Favors-Millsap-Carroll-Hayward-Bledsoe lineup sets the table better. Kanter gets all the touches he needs on the second unit. Players don't have to start to contribute, and a lot of teams shoot themselves in the foot by choosing lineups based on overall talent rather than fit. The Spurs, who you've cited in this very thread, are a perfect example of this (Manu).

I don't think it does at all. I think Favors has shown many stretches this season where he's been much more valuable than Millsap, and I think Kanter is the only one on this team who can really develop into a go to scorer ( and take Al's place in that regard). He has shown the abilty to dominate inside the post, but can also run the court, and play the pick and rolll whiles he's also improved as a passer. I don't see why we'd want him playing behind Sap. If anything Sap's creating abilty, would make him much more valuable to the bench unit. I'd prefer a scenerio with Bledsoe-Hayward-Carroll-Kanter-Favors following the Pistons model to some degree, however with a go to scorer like Sap off the bench.

People are complaining about mediocrity and seeing little evidence that the organization is committed to a championship, not being the worst in the league. A lot of people wouldn't mind being the worst in the league at the right time. I would expect someone that's actually paying attention to know that, so either you're not terribly bright, you haven't actually really been paying attention, or are not being honest.

Yawn. I'm not gonna get into a little insult contest with someone I have no real problem with. You might not agree with my views, but I watch all of these games multiple times on leauge pass and when I'm making my highlights, and I read 3 Jazz forums after every game, so belive me, there's nothing I'm not paying attention to. And you can question my intelligence all you want, but that wont make me see things from you perspective, because that's not how people respectfully debate.

Yep, not only would they really get after teams defensively - but they wouldn't necessarily have the talent to throw the ball to 1 guy and let him score with mediocre efficiency ... so they'd have to execute the offense. Hayward is creating more but for much of the season it's been amazing how many baskets our current 2nd-unit gets just by playing aggressive defense and cutting/setting hard screens on offense.

I think at this point, this is the compelling argument against Al's offense. Al's inarguably improved his passing, that's cool, but he hasn't improved his defense, his presence in transition (which was and is 0), his focus, his physicality, or his aggressiveness. So we can't bitch about Al's passing as much anymore, but we can bitch about those other things, and we can still bitch just as hard about the complacency of strategy so that growth of the young players or the improvement of the offense are not important becuz look guys al is BIG OK.

Yawn. I'm not gonna get into a little insult contest with someone I have no real problem with. You might not agree with my views, but I watch all of these games multiple times when I'm making my highlights, and I read 3 Jazz forums after every game, so belive me, there's nothing I'm not paying attention to. And you can question my intelligence all you want, but that wont make me see things from you perspective, because that's not how people respectfully debate.

Okay. But you're narrative of what goes on here is still inaccurate.

Okay. But you're narrative of what goes on here is still inaccurate.

From what I've read from the majority of posters it seems to fit just fine.

And on a side note, I've stated multiple times that I don't agree with the team not commiting to our young players, and I also don't agree with a lot of Corbin's decisions regarding rotations, and the offense. However, I don't let that change my judgement of what's going on, on the court. Which happends to be a season, where we're in the top end of the leauge in every offensive category, and we're the 7th seed in the west.

I understand where people are coming from, but making us seem like the worst team because of our offense and defense, doesn't reflect what's actually happening on the court especilly statistically.

By the way the Jazz are also 9th in the leauge in assist, and number 14 in fg%percent.

So to review the Jazz are

11th in offensive rating
11th in ppg
9th in the leauge in assist
and 14th in the leauge in fg%
yet defense where it counts.
jazz allow the 2nd most points in the paint.
and score less points in their paint then their opponents.

eg their defense SUCKS

I don't think it does at all. I think Favors has shown many stretches this season where he's been much more valuable than Millsap, and I think Kanter is the only one on this team who can really develop into a go to scorer ( and take Al's place in that regard). He has shown the abilty to dominate inside the post, but can also run the court, and play the pick and rolll whiles he's also improved as a passer. I don't see why we'd want him playing behind Sap. If anything Sap's creating abilty, would make him much more valuable to the bench unit. I'd prefer a scenerio with Bledsoe-Hayward-Carroll-Kanter-Favors following the Pistons model to some degree, however with a go to scorer like Sap off the bench.
The main point I'm making is that who starts/comes off the bench shouldn't be the main concern. Rather, we should be concerned with how the players on the court complement each other. There's plenty of room to disagree on what lineups would be best.

My concern with starting Kanter-Favors-3-Hayward-Bledsoe is that the halfcourt offense would get bogged down a lot. Bledsoe and Favors are energy/defensive guys for the most part. Millsap has shown an ability to operate well with the ball and without. He's an adept passer from the free throw line extended and off the bounce. You still get good energy and defense running out a lineup featuring Favors-Millsap-Hayward-Bledsoe, while also getting into a good rhythm offensively.

This will likely be Millsap's last big longterm contract. I imagine he'll be fine letting Kanter ease into a starting role as he becomes ready.