What's new

Coronavirus

One Brow

so given the plethora of ACTUAL EVIDENCE that pertains to the ability of the Covid vaccines to prevent infections or transmission of Covid 19 and the fact that the CDC have now removed any conditions differentiating the vaccinated from the unvaccinated as well as statements coming thick and fast from all manner of authorities keen to shift the goal posts that the vaccines aren't any good at said prevention of infection or transmission .... I'm curious if any of those vehemently pro vaccine mandates on a moral basis are intellectually honest enough to have changed their mind .. even partially ??

Is this the document that prompted your post?

Al-O-Meter

Yes I found that really interesting. And industry is wondering where to go from here. I know for us we have begun to enforce social distancing more, and done things like put up barriers on break room tables to separate folks. But the vaccine status from the last CDC update is really crazy. The thing we are looking at now, and especially in California ...
I can tell you that in San Diego Unified School district, as of yesterday afternoon, they are no longer requiring kids to be in masks and have admitted to the permanence of COVID. They have even abandoned their earlier metrics for what could trigger putting kids in mask. In just a few weeks they've come a long way from having the head of the district tell all parents to eff off and if you have a problem with masks then do zoom school. Here is the start of the email I got yesterday:

Dear San Diego Unified Family;

We are excited to welcome you back to campus for the 2022-23 school year, which begins Monday, August 29. As the start of the new school year approaches, we want to update you on our COVID-19 mitigation strategies and safety protocols.

We know that COVID-19 is here to stay. We have entered into a new phase of this virus. And thanks to our entire San Diego Unified community and our collective efforts throughout the pandemic, we have accessible at-home testing, districtwide mitigation strategies, vaccinations for COVID-19, and therapeutics available for treatment. Because of this, San Diego Unified is able to adjust to changing conditions.

Due to this new phase, we do not anticipate districtwide masking as we enter the new school year. This means that we will not require districtwide masking if San Diego County enters the high tier in the CDC COVID-19 community level.
[/QUOTE}

Avery

I can tell you that in San Diego Unified School district, as of yesterday afternoon, they are no longer requiring kids to be in masks and have admitted to the permanence of COVID. They have even abandoned their earlier metrics for what could trigger putting kids in mask. In just a few weeks they've come a long way from having the head of the district tell all parents to eff off and if you have a problem with masks then do zoom school. Here is the start of the email I got yesterday:
Masking is only effective as everyone wearing them effectively, but also having the right type which minimizes much of the effectiveness. And schoolchildren just can't keep them on and fiddle with them regardless.

That's not saying masking isn't effective when done correctly, just understating the reality that we only get minimal ROI from it. I think social distancing and just generally staying home when you are sick are more effective measures.

Douchebag K

what i'm talking about is the basis on which people who didn't want to get vaccinated have been villified, bullied, asked to give up their livelihood etc etc based on the assumption that taking a Covid vaccine meant you wouldn't get or more to the point transmit Covid to the most vulnerable. The "pandemic of the unvaccinated" The reason for feeling ok about shunning and locking people out of society. This whole line of moral superiority and expecting others to make the same decision ... this seems to have fallen by the wayside rather quickly as government authorities all round the world, heck even the drug manufacturers now admit that the Covid vaccines haven't performed as advertised.

anyone who vouched for the "if only everyone got vaccinated the pandemic would end" had pause for thought ?? Anybody regret the way they've treated others as a result of this line of thinking ???

Gameface

PICKS = FLEXIBILITY
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
what i'm talking about is the basis on which people who didn't want to get vaccinated have been villified, bullied, asked to give up their livelihood etc etc based on the assumption that taking a Covid vaccine meant you wouldn't get or more to the point transmit Covid to the most vulnerable. The "pandemic of the unvaccinated" The reason for feeling ok about shunning and locking people out of society. This whole line of moral superiority and expecting others to make the same decision ... this seems to have fallen by the wayside rather quickly as government authorities all round the world, heck even the drug manufacturers now admit that the Covid vaccines haven't performed as advertised.

anyone who vouched for the "if only everyone got vaccinated the pandemic would end" had pause for thought ?? Anybody regret the way they've treated others as a result of this line of thinking ???
No, I don't.

One Brow

Maybe you didn't read the same CDC document I linked to, and are referring to something else. Because that document makes it very clear that we were only able to get to this state by achieving a massive program of vaccination, and isolation/distancing until the vaccinations were sufficiently in place. Now that the situation on the ground has changed, public health advice has adjusted. It's what I had been hoping for these past 2.5 years.

If I ever said I thought the pandemic would end (as opposed to becoming endemic), I was naive and wrong. I don't recall saying that or believing that, but I'm often not good at remembering what I used to believe.

Gameface

PICKS = FLEXIBILITY
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
because ?
Because my position had nothing to do with absolute effectiveness of the vaccine or nothing and it wasn't based on speculating about what we may know in the future. It was based on the information available at the time. Getting the vaccine was and is the right thing to do if you want to benefit from living in a society.

Your entire premise here is dumb as ****.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
so given the plethora of ACTUAL EVIDENCE that pertains to the ability of the Covid vaccines to prevent infections or transmission of Covid 19 and the fact that the CDC have now removed any conditions differentiating the vaccinated from the unvaccinated as well as statements coming thick and fast from all manner of authorities keen to shift the goal posts that the vaccines aren't any good at said prevention of infection or transmission .... I'm curious if any of those vehemently pro vaccine mandates on a moral basis are intellectually honest enough to have changed their mind .. even partially ??
Im still glad I got vaccinated and will continue to get boosters.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

Well from what I remember at the time of the "pandemic or the unvaccinated" that is what it was. They were tracking hospital admittance via vaccinated vs unvaccinated and pretty much all the people getting hospitalized and dying were unvaccinated. So at the time it seemed like, and in fact was, a good idea to get vaccinated if you didn't like to die or stay in the hospital. Potency of the vaccine changes over time, the virus mutates and things change, no doubt.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
12.5 BILLION doses of the covid vaccine have been administered world wide. 4.9 BILLION people are fully vaccinated. Maybe that helped get things opened up and hospitals to not be so full like they once were. Thats a lot of freaking shots!

Would be interesting to know if instead of 12.5 billion shots there were zero what the world would look like today. Im glad the vaccine got created, Im glad i got vaccinated and boosted (I have yet to test positive for covid or even be sick enough to miss work since covid showed up. I have had 100% attendance record over the last few years. Maybe if i didn't get the covid vaccine that wouldn't be the case), and Im glad the vaccine was pushed as much as it was which most likely caused more people to get it.

Avery

12.5 BILLION doses of the covid vaccine have been administered world wide. 4.9 BILLION people are fully vaccinated. Maybe that helped get things opened up and hospitals to not be so full like they once were. Thats a lot of freaking shots!

Would be interesting to know if instead of 12.5 billion shots there were zero what the world would look like today. Im glad the vaccine got created, Im glad i got vaccinated and boosted (I have yet to test positive for covid or even be sick enough to miss work since covid showed up. I have had 100% attendance record over the last few years. Maybe if i didn't get the covid vaccine that wouldn't be the case), and Im glad the vaccine was pushed as much as it was which most likely caused more people to get it.
If the conspiracy theories are correct, 4.9B people are supposed to be dying anytime soon as part of the Bill Gates New World Order. I'm not sure if it's a slow, painful death or our heads explode simultaneously, but I bet it might make the news either way.