Derek Chauvin Murder Trial

One Brow

How many cops are bad cops? 50%? 80%? 99% 5%? This is very interesting to me to see responses on this, maybe I should make a poll. What percentage of cops do people think are just racist assholes baiting everyone they can so they can kill someone legally, and how many are just regular guys doing a very difficult job with poor tools and following their conscience the best they can?
The better question is how many cops are taught poorly and put into a culture where they face few consequences for over-reacting?

I genuinely think most cops start out with ideas of service, but these things build in them over time.

The Thriller

The better question is how many cops are taught poorly and put into a culture where they face few consequences for over-reacting?

I genuinely think most cops start out with ideas of service, but these things build in them over time.
This is a very good post

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
Is it necessary, though?
In terms of managing high risk environments i would say yes, its the lowest risk practice, in my experience people who argue for higher risk solutions are never involved in managing those environments.

I work in a high risk environment every day, i am more risk adverse than all of my management, the further from the floor you get, the higher the threshold for risk gets. There is good reason for this, senior managers and politicians are concerned with appearances, im concerned with not getting a life changing injury.

LogGrad98

Contributor

Well the true answer to that is that none of them receive the training they really need to handle difficult situations, and mostly it consists of some form of shoot first and ask questions later. My question was more geared toward their personal morals, because even poorly trained cops still can act morally and at least make an attempt not to escalate situations regardless of the inadequacy of their training. There are also those cops that would seek out opportunities to use their gun regardless of if the training they were getting were stellar and highly effective. That is the concept of "good cop" or "bad cop", as in which are really acting for the greater good the best they can in their circumstances, and which are just looking for the power trip and seek out the confrontations because it makes them feel powerful or it allows them to "legally" hurt someone. There is probably a third rough category of cops just trying to get by day to day. But it seems we only ever hear about the "bad cops" and I wondered what percentage people think would fall into that category.

JazzFanNBama

A six month ban for some PM’s, one of which called some dude a white cracker? Lol seriously?
He didn’t just do it in a PM he did it in this thread in a post. Racial slurs are racial slurs. If I’d been black and he’d have called me the N word do you think he would deserve a 6 month ban? Probably not. You’d probably say he deserved to be removed from the board altogether. The word did offend me at all. It never has. It’s the principal of the matter. You can’t sling racial slurs around no matter what race you are talking about. It’s never good.

Wes Mantooth

He didn’t just do it in a PM he did it in this thread in a post. Racial slurs are racial slurs. If I’d been black and he’d have called me the N word do you think he would deserve a 6 month ban? Probably not. You’d probably say he deserved to be removed from the board altogether. The word did offend me at all. It never has. It’s the principal of the matter. You can’t sling racial slurs around no matter what race you are talking about. It’s never good.

lmfao. Spare me. Cracker.

See ya in six months.

One Brow

You did not explicitly say that use of the words were of equal social disturbance, and I agree with what you explicitly said.

However, there are understandable reasons why "cracker" would almost never have the same effect on you.

Archie Moses

Who else is watching this? I fear posting my opinion because there's a lot of headline readers.

I still stand by my original take though.

Come at me, bro.

Gameface

IT'S TIME TO GET YOUR GAMEFACE ON!
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
Who else is watching this? I fear posting my opinion because there's a lot of headline readers.

I still stand by my original take though.

Come at me, bro.
I'm not watching it.

Whatcha seeing?