What's new

Elijah Millsap: Lindsey in exit interview: “if u say one more word, I’ll cut your Black *** and send you back to Louisiana”.

Let's put the shoes on the other foot. What if a black GM said to a white player, I'm going to send your white *** back to Louisiana? You think people would be upset about that? It may not be a polite thing to say, but that doesn't mean the GM should be fired.

Well, if you read what I actually said you’ll see that I’m not sticking up for bigotry.

Reading your posts makes me think of that ”jump to conclusions” mat idea from Office Space.
You really want to go down the "jumping to conclusions" route ? I'm not one demanding someone be fired(like Cy). I just want both sides of the story.

Whatever, I don't want to fight about it. I'm done. This bickering is exactly why we as humans will never be able to fix this. Have a good one.

Telling the truth about history is only a “weapon” if your own assumptions about yourself and society constitute a flimsy myth.

No, I expect any leader to be just and fair. I expect them to be man enough to lead without relying on insults or anything derogatory.

No. You are not your construct. Even if these antebellum terms have survived onto our federal forms, it doesn’t make them true. You are English, or German, or French, or whatever. There is no “white” country. Melanin responds genetically to Multi generational proximity to the equator.

as to your point about wondering what the slaves called the slavers 400 years ago, who cares? Owners get the bag of money. Slaves get the shaft.

If all you learned from your history studies are that racial constructs constitute “a game of semantics”, then I hope you go back to school soon.

The white race is a myth that was created to reinforce the power structure that was created by one group of human beings owning the other group.
Holy moly that was an epic response. Well done There is so much ignorance in this world. Now fostered by disinformation for profit. Thanks capitalism!

Let's put the shoes on the other foot. What if a black GM said to a white player, I'm going to send your white *** back to Louisiana? You think people would be upset about that? It may not be a polite thing to say, but that doesn't mean the GM should be fired.
Right so the total horsesh%t logic of what you’re saying here ignores the fact that it was “black” people (NOT “white” people) who were kidnapped, enslaved, bought and sold, tortured, and murdered for hundreds of years... as a system of law and society

SO, yes if Africans had colonized America, and then enslaved millions of Europeans to build and work this country, and THEN... on a basketball team, the GM said “I’m gonna send your white as5 back to Louisiana”... THAT would be “putting yourself in their shoes”. And yeah that would be outrageously racist and insensitive. And would require real disciplinary actions... duuuuuhhhh

Last edited:
Hafta skip most of this thread.

When I heard the news on this, my first thought was how much better Donovan Mitchell has been for our team. I think he has done very well mostly from his attitude and leadership, in helping to build team spirit.

Something we didn't have before.

Jus' sayin'.

I think we face a serious test if we meet the Lakers in the playoffs. They are taking a break sorta to mend their people. If they are the best, it doesn't even matter who they face or in what order, it just matters that they are all in good condition.

Right so the total horsesh%t logic of what you’re saying here ignores the fact that it was “black” people (NOT “white” people) who were kidnapped, enslaved, bought and sold, tortured, and murdered for hundreds of years... as a system of law and society

SO, yes if Africans had colonized America, and then enslaved millions of Europeans to build and work this country, and THEN... on a basketball team, the GM said “I’m gonna send your white as5 back to Louisiana”... THAT would be “putting yourself in their shoes”. And yeah that would be outrageously racist and insensitive. And would require real disciplinary actions... duuuuuhhhh
You're so full of poppycock. Since when is calling someone black a term of derision? Yes, that's the history, but calling someone black has never in my life been something hostile. The logical conclusion of this political correctness is to neutralize our language, and we won't be able to refer to the race, gender, or ethnicity of someone for fear that we will offend them, and that to do so, is a sign of denigration.

When did I say anything about the "white" race?
In your original post that I responded to.

We all agree on the N-word, but are we going to weaponize the terms black and white?
They are Antebellum terms. they originated within the justifications for human trafficking. That system of understanding led our country to a considerable conflict, yet we still insist on these terms.

IMO, they carry the promise of an Antebellum result in our future. The result of white supremacy, as an idea, is still clamoring for exactly that.

So, are you saying now we can't use the word black because it denotes the society's prejudice against blacks? So, what are you supposed to say, he / she is an oppressed person, unfairly demonized by society?
I didn't say "you can't" anything. Go ahead and continue with what has ruined us for hundreds of years as a country, if that's what you're interested in. But don't call it "telling the truth". The truth is that your ancestry is far more complex and rich than what is communicated by insisting that you are "white", which is just a myth you inherited from people who got it wrong in more ways than one.

Brown people have done plenty of work to analyze their own construct. Read some Du Bois and James Baldwin, if you want. Being half English and half Mexican, I leave them to it for the most part. But the euro part of my blood gives me plenty of ground from which to criticize past European/Caucasian understandings that I find to be erroneous.

Last edited:
I your original post that I responded to.

They are Antebellum terms. they originated within the justifications for human trafficking. That system of understanding led our country to a considerable conflict, yet we still insist on these terms.

IMO, they carry the promise of an Antebellum result in our future. The result of white supremacy, as an idea, is still clamoring for exactly that.

I didn't say "you can't" anything. Go ahead and continue with what has ruined us for hundreds of years as a country, if that's what you're interested in. But don't call it "telling the truth". The truth is that your ancestry is far more complex and rich than what is communicated by insisting that you are "white", which is just a myth you inherited from people who got it wrong in more ways than one.

Brown people have done plenty of work to analyze their own construct. Read some DeBois and James Baldwin, if you want. Being half English and half Mexican, I leave them to it for the most part. But the euro part of my blood gives me plenty of ground from which to criticize past European/Caucasian understandings that I find to be erroneous.
I did read the Souls of Black Folk many years ago, but not much of Baldwin. But I did read his article in which he demonized the character Uncle Tom, which I disagree with. I come from a perspective that has felt the wrath of this political correctness in my own career. If you want to know about it, I'll explain in PM. I believe using a double standard is unfair. It comes down to that. Furthermore, the use of the term black has not led to racial divisiveness. Recall the use of "Black Power" by the "Black Panthers"? And is that why we celebrate "Black" History this month, but is that being oppressive and discriminatory using the term, black?

Last edited:
I did read the Souls of Black Folk many years ago,

I'll have to find it, it's more in an essay where he tries to wrestle with the terms "negro" and "black".

I come from a perspective that has felt the wrath of this political correctness in my own career.
You can do what you want, but I think fighting against political correctness is beating around the bush. All of these terms and their attendant trauma cannot be erased. You cannot make people ignore history and "move on" without some commensurate restitution. Robbing an entire culture of their identity (Nigerian, Congolese, West African, Etc) and profiting off of it creates an imbalance that must be righted.

Same with every group that has been abused for a bag of money. Natives, Latinos, Asians, Etc. If you don't find an authentic way to compensate their kids, then you have no moral ground to stand on when you argue that double standards disappear.

It's like doctors treating symptoms of cancer.
Furthermore, the use of the term black has not led to racial divisiveness. Recall the use of "Black Power" by the "Black Panthers"? And is that why we celebrate "Black" History this month, but is that being oppressive and discriminatory using the term, black?
People do the best they can to make the best out of a bad situation. They put on the best face they can despite their trauma.

Diving deep into the pool of the term "black" can be a tool for survival. But it doesn't change the history of the term, it's inferences, or it's continued complexity.

It continues to be a deadly term. It arrives to us as a historical misnomer that erases their original history. The term "white" is similar in the way that it erases the things about your history and culture that are authentic and tied to an actual country.

I'll have to find it, it's more in an essay where he tries to wrestle with the terms "negro" and "black".

You can do what you want, but I think fighting against political correctness is beating around the bush. All of these terms and their attendant trauma cannot be erased. You cannot make people ignore history and "move on" without some commensurate restitution. Robbing an entire culture of their identity (Nigerian, Congolese, West African, Etc) and profiting off of it creates an imbalance that must be righted.

Same with every group that has been abused for a bag of money. Natives, Latinos, Asians, Etc. If you don't find an authentic way to compensate their kids, then you have no moral ground to stand on when you argue that double standards disappear.

It's like doctors treating symptoms of cancer.

People do the best they can to make the best out of a bad situation. They put on the best face they can despite their trauma.

Diving deep into the pool of the term "black" can be a tool for survival. But it doesn't change the history of the term, it's inferences, or it's continued complexity.

It continues to be a deadly term. It arrives to us as a historical misnomer that erases their original history. The term "white" is similar in the way that it erases the things about your history and culture that are authentic and tied to an actual country.
Let James Brown put an end to this discussion: James Brown

I see all these posts discussing the word "black," but almost nothing about the fact that it's only part of the term "black ***."

I see all these posts discussing the word "black," but almost nothing about the fact that it's only part of the term "black ***."
Yes, you can draw inferences, but then it depends on your point-of-view . . . in the 60s and 70s, it was about Black Power. Why is the word now being demonized? To me, it should be people power so it doesn't leave anyone out, but I don't see anything offensive about using the word black to describe someone who is.

So, while it may not be right for a Latino to call a Caucasian “white boy”, it’s not happening in a vacuum. It will never be from the position of power that it would be if it were reversed.
Your story is a travesty. Sucks.

However, this phrase is absurd. I lived in Colombia for 2.5 years, Mexico for 2 years, I have traveled to 18 states in a wide range of pueblos in Mexico on a dozen trips there, I have spent meaningful time up and down Chile, Peru, Spain, the Dominican Republic, and other Latin countries where I was the only person who was cacausian and... sure enough... I would say that the role was reversed at some level as I was the minority in restaurants, pueblos, tiangis, and meetings frequently.

I have been called GRINGO a million times throughout my travels. That hasn't changed in the last few years. It is not the kindest of terms. But I certainly don't hold it against people or internalize it or make it a public shaming.

When I was alone in Saudi Arabia (and I don't speak farsi) and a shop manager yelled 'Amerikee' while pointing at me angrily, I certainly felt like a minority in that moment. Far from home. Unable to speak the language. On a limited foreign visa in a land foreign to me with an angry man yelling the only word I could undertstand... with Bush and later Obama at home pissing Saudis off. Needless to say, I was not in a position of power.

The position can be reversed if you reside outside of the US. And it can be just as uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Certainly James. But not Brown.

But like I said, the terms were not black but first Negro then Colored. We started using black instead to remove the stigma of slavery because slaves were not called "blacks" as a group, but negros and coloreds. Where did you get the idea that the slaves were called "blacks." They were called Negros, which I guess does mean black in Spanish. But, no, I didn't watch the James Baldwin debate. You know he created the demonization of Uncle Tom in a 1948 or 1949 essay. I actually today found out something new about how the epithet evolved -- from the minstrel shows that performed Uncle Tom and distorted the character, which was unlike the Uncle Tom in the book -- did you ever read the book? I never did until I started my study of slavery and antebellum history. I was surprised at the character, that he was such a heroic figure, hardly the shiftless, yes-man as Baldwin portrayed him. But it's not the term black that demonizes people, it's the social situation. I still say that the term black is neutral and unlike the N-word, or even Negro or Colored, less noxious versions but all tied to the past when slavery existed.

I did read the Souls of Black Folk many years ago, but not much of Baldwin. But I did read his article in which he demonized the character Uncle Tom, which I disagree with. I come from a perspective that has felt the wrath of this political correctness in my own career. If you want to know about it, I'll explain in PM. I believe using a double standard is unfair. It comes down to that. Furthermore, the use of the term black has not led to racial divisiveness. Recall the use of "Black Power" by the "Black Panthers"? And is that why we celebrate "Black" History this month, but is that being oppressive and discriminatory using the term, black?
You better recall your facts if that's what you heard about why we celebrate black history month. The beauty about the internet is that you can research anything you want to. The downside is that anybody can post their opinions and make them look like facts because they have the opportunity to speak their voice even when the foundation of their information is based on false information.