What's new

Hayward getting extension???

Who exactly said this was a good deal?

The contract was bad in the long term. At the time that it happened it was very controversial on jazzfanz. You may recall several users with "PAY AK!" signatures during extension negotiations.

The contract was bad in the long term. At the time that it happened it was very controversial on jazzfanz. You may recall several users with "PAY AK!" signatures during extension negotiations.

The guy you quotes was talking about reported Hayward deal

And where did I argue that he was decent defender in early career?
Nowhere in that article does it say he's been a decent defender in games that actually matter. His coach is quoted as saying he looks good this preseason. The implication is that he was a poor defender throughout the 12/13 season. Are you arguing that decent defensive play in a few preseason games makes a player a decent defender? If not, the article hurts your case.

I'd also argue he's a poor passer.

He's a player who has yet to grasp the 5-man game, although he made some pretty significant strides in his one-on-one game last season. Dude was fairly effective in isos, shooting as the ball handler out of pick and rolls and in post-ups. These three shot types account for ~40% of his terminal possessions. How can a player who has the ball in his hands so much (18th in minutes per game, 22nd in field goal attempts per game, 40% of terminal possessions on-ball) average so few assists (111th in assists per game)?

(note: It would be cool to see assists per iso+PnRHandler+PostUp. Not a perfect measure, but I'd argue a better measure than assists/game, assists/36minutes, assists/FGA or assist%)

Last edited:
Nowhere in that article does it say he's been a decent defender in games that actually matter. His coach is quoted as saying he looks good this preseason. The implication is that he was a poor defender throughout the 12/13 season.

I don't agree with you on that. From article: "DeRozan was part of a stellar defensive lineup last year, however. In 343 minutes together, DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Amir Johnson, Rudy Gay and Jonas Valanciunas allowed just 92.5 points per 100 possessions. For some perspective, there were only four teams that allowed fewer than 100 points per possession for the entire season, according to nba.com. DeRozan had to be doing his job to accomplish that".

I don't agree with you on that. From article: "DeRozan was part of a stellar defensive lineup last year, however. In 343 minutes together, DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Amir Johnson, Rudy Gay and Jonas Valanciunas allowed just 92.5 points per 100 possessions. For some perspective, there were only four teams that allowed fewer than 100 points per possession for the entire season, according to nba.com. DeRozan had to be doing his job to accomplish that".
Fair enough. What about the other 2700 minutes he played?

Meh, I think the ONLY reason that these extensions are getting done now is BECAUSE they are front loaded. Favors at 12.25 front loaded and Hayward at 10.5 or so front loaded is freakin' genius. If you let the players go RFA, then you don't get to control the contract structure, you extend the players, you get to do great things like frontload. Seriously everyone knows that frontloading the contract is beneficial for the Jazz. The players want their money now rather than later. Can someone give me a logical reason why these contracts would NOT be front loaded? San Antonio likes to front load contracts, so this will not be a foreign concept for Lindsey.

You make perfect sense.

Personally, I think $10 million/year for Hayward is too much. But realistically, the true definition of a "bad contract" is one that becomes untradeable for quality and inhibits a team from keeping its own quality players. (Think of the players the Jazz let walk or gave away for luxury tax relief because of AK's contract.) So it doesn't matter to the Millers what the total $ value of Hayward's contract is. (Heck, they threw away $20 million this year for players they don't need just to reserve salary space for next year.) All that matters is that Hayward's contract doesn't inhibit future team growth and/or that it remains tradable; and a front loaded contract is the best way to keep the player happy without jeopardizing future flexibility.

Derozan defense discussion easily one of the stupidest discussions ever on jazz fanz.

Could you two discuss whether or not you would let someone pee on you for 300 dollars a day or something?

So let me get this straight... AK got his contract after posting 16.5pts, 8.1reb, 3.1ast, 1.9 stl, 2.8blk in a season where he was an ALL-Star and the second only player in NBA history to finish in both top 5 steals and blocks and some of you guys called it toxic and overpaid and whatever other names.... Now both Favors and Hayward getting almost same deals yet their numbers are not even close to AK's and you think it is good deals?

What the **** is this post.