What's new

Herro Rumors

I don't think trading for Herro if it is at a low price is crazy but I agree about wanting to build this slow or at least make sure that we are in a position to get our draft picks consistent minutes. As it stands right now we already have a serious minutes crunch and will have a very difficult time finding Hendricks and George consistent minutes.
Imo there is nothing dumber than building slow right now. If you can get Herro he's the perfect timeline fit. He's got 4 years left on his deal so you can help maximize the current win-ability of the team. After those 4 years you can transition the team to Keyonte if he's truly worthy and trade off Herro and get value out of him.

Also if Hendricks is any good, the Jazz will have to decide between keeping him or Keyonte after those 4 years (and possibly add Sensabaugh to that). We will have too much money in Walker and Lauri to afford to max both those rookies.

Imo just get as many good players as possible. Getting these long term contracts that will be cheaper as time goes on gives you a lot of flexibility while winning now. There's no reason to not maximize winning now (within reason). We can't be bad enough to truly change the franchise future with a guaranteed star talent top pick.

Imo there is nothing dumber than building slow right now. If you can get Herro he's the perfect timeline fit. He's got 4 years left on his deal so you can help maximize the current win-ability of the team. After those 4 years you can transition the team to Keyonte if he's truly worthy and trade off Herro and get value out of him.

Also if Hendricks is any good, the Jazz will have to decide between keeping him or Keyonte after those 4 years (and possibly add Sensabaugh to that). We will have too much money in Walker and Lauri to afford to max both those rookies.

Imo just get as many good players as possible. Getting these long term contracts that will be cheaper as time goes on gives you a lot of flexibility while winning now. There's no reason to not maximize winning now (within reason). We can't be bad enough to truly change the franchise future with a guaranteed star talent top pick.

I agree with this.

I tend to believe this "timeline" stuff was always overrated to begin with. There's not one way to build a team and if there was a blueprint to ensure success, it would simply be to turn less into more over and over and over again. It's more important to be proactive and accumulate good assets/players than it is to stick to some timeline. Of course the timeline matters to some extent, but it shouldn't keep you in the way of doing good business.

Herro isn’t a timeline question to me… it’s is it worth it? How much better is he than Sexton and JC? What is the premium we are paying? Will there be some roster consolidation?

With regard to timeline… there is some merit there. We just saw Denver build with patience around two guys on the same timeline. One is the MVP so it’s not a completely even tandem. All championship team building strategies are low percentage type strategies because winning a title is hard.

We need to find an all star partner to go with Lauri/Walker… I’m just not convinced that guy is Herro (doesn’t have to be though if you get him at a good price). If I’m giving up Sexton and two firsts I want a higher return than what I believe Herro is.

Herro isn’t a timeline question to me… it’s is it worth it? How much better is he than Sexton and JC? What is the premium we are paying? Will there be some roster consolidation?

With regard to timeline… there is some merit there. We just saw Denver build with patience around two guys on the same timeline. One is the MVP so it’s not a completely even tandem. All championship team building strategies are low percentage type strategies because winning a title is hard.

We need to find an all star partner to go with Lauri/Walker… I’m just not convinced that guy is Herro (doesn’t have to be though if you get him at a good price). If I’m giving up Sexton and two firsts I want a higher return than what I believe Herro is.
Spending available capital on lateral-ish moves that are accompanied by an opportunity cost of further investment into ensuring that the transaction was worthwhile.

Spending available capital on lateral-ish moves that are accompanied by an opportunity cost of further investment into ensuring that the transaction was worthwhile.
Yeah... its not a question of slow vs fast its a question of value. Chicago decided they were going to go all in and it crumbled real fast and they look dumb for not being more patient. If the price is right be a buyer... if the assets matchup with the general strategy.

interesting discussion... Had to read through pretty quickly, but I didn't see one thing that I feel is worth mentioning:

While I'm not super-high on Herro, if he were on the team, he'd probably quickly shoot to the top of our guards in one important skill: passing out of the PnR. Lauri, Kessler, and Collins would all perform better with Herro than Sexton.

The question for me is how long Herro would be the best passer out of the PnR, because I think that George has serious chops here.

If Herro cost me Sexton and one 1st-round pick, I'd do it. If they ask for two firsts, then I'm walking and looking to George sooner rather than later.

Again, he is far far better than Sexton and Clarkson. Sexton and Clarkson aren't a positive player combination to have on your roster and they combined cost more (or near the exact same) per year than Herro does.

Yes, the volume 3pt shooter who has the potential to shoot 40% from the field is a massive upgrade over a 6'1 shooting guard who doesn't have a 3pt volume and a 30 year old inconsistent gunner.

Such an insane question to ask and to act Scrooge McDuck over draft picks when we have a billion at our disposal.

*And yes* before HH goes full argue mode, I'm not advocating to throw the kitchen sink for Herro. Obviously try to get the best deal possible which Ainge is clearly trying to do given a deal hasn't been done yet.

I don't think trading for Herro if it is at a low price is crazy but I agree about wanting to build this slow or at least make sure that we are in a position to get our draft picks consistent minutes. As it stands right now we already have a serious minutes crunch and will have a very difficult time finding Hendricks and George consistent minutes.

But we have 3 or 4 dudes that are his doppelgänger lite. He may be the best of all of them but we need longer athletes that can actually defend. We have plenty of guys that do exactly what he does it’s like the only thing the jazz brass have eyes for. Can we actually just add guys who fit and stop going after high volume shooters please!!!

But we have 3 or 4 dudes that are his doppelgänger lite. He may be the best of all of them but we need longer athletes that can actually defend. We have plenty of guys that do exactly what he does it’s like the only thing the jazz brass have eyes for. Can we actually just add guys who fit and stop going after high volume shooters please!!!
We don't have anyone like Herro currently. I get him and Clarkson can fit a similar description but aesthetically they are pretty different.

Sorry but we have no guard on the roster who can average 8 attempted 3s while hitting 38%. That's not a skillset we currently possess. Maybe Keyonte can get there, but why are we waiting for a rookie to get there? He can get there as a backup and be moved to a starter when necessary and it makes sense

They’re high volume
We don't have anyone like Herro currently. I get him and Clarkson can fit a similar description but aesthetically they are pretty different.
Sure they get their buckets their own way but both are high volume shooters that are in efficient doing it and play zero defense. This is the only type of player the jazz seem to have eyes for. I’d also throw in George and THT and Sexton though he’s efficient with his offense. We need to get longer more athletic and defensive. We don’t need another in efficient shooter with no defense.

They’re high volume

Sure they get their buckets their own way but both are high volume shooters that are in efficient doing it and play zero defense. This is the only type of player the jazz seem to have eyes for. I’d also throw in George and THT and Sexton though he’s efficient with his offense. We need to get longer more athletic and defensive. We don’t need another in efficient shooter with no defense.
Herro is a volume maker

If he’s better and that’s a big if he’s not that much better in justification for letting an important player and first rounder leave in a trade for Herro, just makes no sense kinda like the Conley trade. That was even worse, losing 2 firsts and two players that get lots of minutes. That set us back.

Back