What's new

Jazz Sign Ekpe Udoh

Jazz going Moneyball with their approach to free agency after Hayward left.

I really like the direction they're heading, and I'm happy with every acquisition this offseason. Mitchell, Bradley, Rubio, Jingles, Sefalosha, Jerebko and Udoh. Hustle, energy, rebounds and defense. Love it. Feels like the kind of guys that will love to play with Rudy.

Jazz realize it's going to be impossible to match Golden State's offensive firepower and so now the plan looks to be slow down the opposing team's offense with the best defense, get turnovers, convert on turnovers and have a PG who can also get his teammates high-percentage shots.

This may not equate to 'exciting high-scoring, explosive basketball', but it's going to win us lots of games and The Jazz are going to be tough to beat during the playoffs. This season, I expect opposing team's technical fouls to increase dramatically due to much increased frustration due to not being able to run their offense.

Last year we were hit harder than any other team when it comes to injuries to our top 7 players. Not news...

Last year we were also one of the deepest squads in the league. Not top heavy, but great top to bottom.

We just got DEEPER even if we lost some fool at the top.

Also, we just got tougher, more defensive, more distribution, more steals, more blocks, and more intl flair. If we actually stay healthy then we are going to be a fun darkhorse team. Sactown got better. The Fuggets got better. Houston got better. Minny got better. OKC got better. And the Jazz... got deeper, longer, more defensive, tougher, younger, and (if healthy) Better.

Losing Hayward and Hill hurts, but adding Rubio and keeping Jingles helps to lessen the sting. Upgrading Withey, Diaw, Mack and Lyles with Udoh, Jerebko, Mitchell and Sefalosha was awesome. The Jazz bench are going to harass opposing teams.

Well you're right in that it is a crap shoot. Still, with our draft picks (Mitchell and Bradley) the addition of Rubio, Sefolosha, Jerebko and Udoh, I'm probably more stoked about the start of the season than I have been in a long time. I think the irony is that Hayward chose to leave at this juncture when the team was about to jettison dead weight and strengthen the roster. I really hope we live to spit in his eye, figuratively speaking of course.

Last edited:
So locke thinks all of these are second year team options... if true these deals are great.

DeColo is the highest paid player right?

I dont know who was the highest paid player in europe last season but you may be right.
In 15-16 season, Alexey Shved was the highest paid player in europe (his team didn't even play in Euroleague)
His salary was about 3.4million euros per year. Interestingly the second highest paid player's salary was about 2.8 million euros.

Most Recently Teodosic rejected a 3 year 12 million euro offer to sign for Rockets

Udoh had a 1 year 2.6 million dollar contract for 16-17.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

So locke thinks all of these are second year team options... if true these deals are great.
Even better. Makes every single one of them a trade asset at the deadline as well. If an opportunity arises, they have a bunch of contracts that they can put together with draft picks that don't hurt the team long term.

I dont know who was the highest paid player in europe last season but you may be right.
In 15-16 season, Alexey Shved was the highest paid player in europe (his team didn't even play in Euroleague)
His salary was about 3.4million euros per year. Interestingly the second highest paid player's salary was about 2.8 million euros.

Most Recently Teodosic rejected a 3 year 12 million euro offer to sign for Rockets

Udoh had a 1 year 2.6 million dollar contract for 16-17.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
Is Alexy Shved any good? That seems like a lot for him.

Is Alexy Shved any good? That seems like a lot for him.

I havent seen him play since his Knicks days. They paid him a ton to take him away from NBA. He was like a european version of 2012 Joe Johnson, contractwise
He played for a Eurocup team for 2 years. His team qualified for Euroleague this coming year.

By the way, Euroleague will become even worse in terms of talent with NBA's new rule to have 17 players on a roster.

Just a few players who i think will try to get a contract

Bradley Wannamaker
Jan "The New Kirilenko" Vesely
Khem Birch
Daniel Hackett
Brandon Paul
Tyler Honeycutt

I know most of these names are familiar to you LOL

Another defense only guy. Hasn't played in the NBA since 2015 and hasn't been in a rotation since 2014. He's been terrific playing overseas however.

Did you watch the highlights? He has a good mid-range jumper. Kind of like Favors but not as explosive or quick as the healthy Favors. A better passer than Favors though not as good a passer as Diaw, but then not many bigs if any are as good a passer as Diaw. But you know I'm not sure he's better than Griffin, as a 5 yes, but I think Griffin would be a better 4.

Last edited:
Is Favors strictly a 5, then?

If you haven't watch the highlight because it gives a good indication of what he can do. Looks a bit slow for an NBA PF maybe like the injured Favors, hard to tell with the short clip. But he looked solid overall; he moves the ball well.

Amazing to me that Diaw's team option had zero value to another team. I thought we could get a 2nd round pick out of it at least.

Amazing to me that Diaw's team option had zero value to another team. I thought we could get a 2nd round pick out of it at least.

Most teams wouldn't bother shaving space, unless some other deal was contingent on it, of only $3M or less, would be my guess. If someone wanted to clear cap space with Diaw's 7.5M contract, they'd be looking more in the neighborhood of $5-6M+, which means we'd be buying a second round pick for north of $5M. The question is whether you'd pay $5M or more for a NWG.